Issues concerning some lost users who can't seem to log in...

Ideas and discussion

r96chase

Issues concerning some lost users who can't seem to log in...

Post by r96chase »

Hi. Normally I don't come into random areas like this, but an old user by the name of slavvo on the Puppy Discord is having issues logging into this forum.

There are a few others, but it's hard to describe their situations respectively.

slavvo says that he's been trying to reach the admins for the past month to get his lost account. I would it's either lost forever or just banned due to an incident that happened a long time ago back in the early years of this new forum. I highly doubt it's the latter.

So, can you help sort it out? I don't know what to really do.

Cheers.

r96chase

I am a crash-course Linux novice. :lol:

Wiz57

Re: Issues concerning some lost users who can't seem to log in...

Post by Wiz57 »

r96chase wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:25 am

Hi. Normally I don't come into random areas like this, but an old user by the name of slavvo on the Puppy Discord is having issues logging into this forum.

There are a few others, but it's hard to describe their situations respectively.

slavvo says that he's been trying to reach the admins for the past month to get his lost account. I would it's either lost forever or just banned due to an incident that happened a long time ago back in the early years of this new forum. I highly doubt it's the latter.

So, can you help sort it out? I don't know what to really do.

Cheers.

r96chase

I'll try to help with slavvo...a search of the member list shows a slavvo67...perhaps this is the same member?
If so, tell them to try logging in with that name and/or the email address used to register. I can attempt to
send an email from the forum, but I can't tell exactly what the email address is.
Let me know of others, and I'll try to find them...have them include any possible nicknames they may have used.
Wiz :)

Signature available upon request

r96chase

Post by r96chase »

I will, no worries. <3

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

info at puppylinux dot com is the email address. Is it known if slavvo67 is slavvo and if they were able to login?

r96chase

Post by r96chase »

rockedge wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:41 am

info at puppylinux dot com is the email address. Is it known if slavvo67 is slavvo and if they were able to login?

Well, it's probably slavvo67 anyway, but they were unable to login and apparently they tried contacting you to reset their password or something. Again, I'm not really sure. I'm just the messager for now anyway. Thanks for helping.

r96chase

Post by r96chase »

So...slavvo67 still couldn't get in this forum. However, he is considering branching out from Puppy anyway. I do apologize for bugging you guys.

And I'm sorry to slavvo for being unable to help out. Anyway, I'll just move for now.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

That is really nice of them :roll:
Now that we know it is actually slavvo67, we are talking about.
They decide to give up, with no input from us, on what to do :thumbdown:

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

Well it's not like that this forum is invite-only. Everyone can register.

When we moved from the old forum, we didn't bring in the userids.
Everybody has to re-register, and while many keep their old names, some choose to pick new names.
And we still recognise those users. There are other ways you can be recognised other than just the forum names.
And if we don't, it just takes a single post to say "Hi, I'm XXXX from the old forum".
No big deal.

Unless, of course, if you're telling the problem is that they cannot register ... that's another problem altogether.

People who make claims on other forums, trying to take over an existing userid in this forum is, on the other hand, deserves suspicion, and rightly so. Because if they're really who they claim they are, then why not re-register yourself (under a new id), speak to the moderators in private, and show some sort of proof of who they claim they are, to get recover that old userid. It's not that difficult. And even if you fail to do so, you can still live with your new userid. It happened many times in the past, even in the old forum: e.g. "greendome" became "version2013", and life goes on.

Instead of complaining on Discord :roll:

r96chase

Post by r96chase »

@bigpup @jamesbond
To be honest, I'm not sure why he was resistent to getting a new ID. However, I do believe he would've brought something new to the table. Otherwise, he might be largely moving on now.

I do have an idea though: I might work with him to make a new Puppy, but only time will tell when it'll be released or even worked on. I thought about creating my own Puppy distro before, but I might need help on it.

Anyway, I do apologize for bugging you guys. Really.

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

r96chase wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:19 pm

Anyway, I do apologize for bugging you guys. Really.

@r96chase, no apologies needed, and I hope you don't take my words as an offense as well. You're just passing the message, that I understand; while for me, I'm just trying to point the obvious - that there is a much easier way to do things, if he really wants to :roll:

I'm not speaking on behalf of @rockedge or anyone else, but I'm quite sure that we welcome everyone here, old and new, with old or new names. I don't know if you were in the old forum, but back there, I had over 2000+ post after being a member for about 15 years. When this forum was started, I - like everyone else - start with zero post, and shown as a "new member", registered last year; even though I managed to re-register with my old userid. Point is - old userid, new userid, it doesn't matter, we all start again on equal terms.

That being said, I do hope that you can convince him to re-join the forum. Every member brings something to the table, even if it's only for chitchat with old friends :thumbup:

PS: In case you don't know, "greendome" aka "version2013" is the person who had been building and providing Wine packages for Puppy over the years, I think over a decade at this point. He only has 28 posts in this forum, but I can assure you he's quite a popular :) You can find him in his own thread: viewtopic.php?p=38277#p38277 or sometimes you can find him in the Gaming section, when he posted time-limited deals (free games) from gog.com or other sites.

r96chase

Post by r96chase »

@jamesbond Thanks for the reassurance. I might consider convincing him to rejoin under a different name sometime later.

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”