Open Broadcasting Software Version: 27.1.0

Moderator: Forum moderators

Tenoch

Open Broadcasting Software Version: 27.1.0

Post by Tenoch »

Can this software run in Puppy Linux? With the popularity of video streaming this software should be an option in any OS. The latest version was released a few days ago.

From its website:

Linux portable mode (all distros):

• Please note that you need to install the build dependencies for your distribution before following this steps. See above.

• You can build in portable mode on Linux, which installs all the files to an isolated directory.

If building with browser source:

Code: Select all

wget https://cdn-fastly.obsproject.com/downloads/cef_binary_4280_linux64.tar.bz2
tar -xjf ./cef_binary_4280_linux64.tar.bz2
git clone --recursive https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio.git
cd obs-studio
mkdir build && cd build
cmake -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="${HOME}/obs-studio-portable" -DBUILD_BROWSER=ON -DCEF_ROOT_DIR="../../cef_binary_4280_linux64" ..
make -j4 && make install

If building without browser source:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio.git
cd obs-studio
mkdir build && cd build
cmake -DUNIX_STRUCTURE=0 -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX="${HOME}/obs-studio-portable" -DBUILD_BROWSER=OFF ..
make -j4 && make install

Not being an expert in compiling, I did try the commands above using FOSSAPUP 64, it complained about Pipewire but there is an option to turn it off, at the end I stopped trying to compile when an error about qt5 came up.

mikewalsh

Re: Open Broadcasting Software Version: 27.1.0

Post by mikewalsh »

@Tenoch :- Hallo. I see you joined some six months ago, but since this is your first post, let me be the first to say :welcome: to the "kennels"!

Well, now. Y'know, you've kinda 'pre-empted' me on this one. If you've been lurking around the forum, you've probably noticed that I build a lot of 'portable' packages. I built a 'portable' version of OBS a while ago, which I've been playing around with, on & off, but I haven't as yet posted about, or published a link for this one.

Many of my portables are based around AppImages of apps that I've found in places like AppImageHub. This particular version is actually v25.07; not 'new', but up-to-date enough for most Puppians to do with what they want.

The AppImage in question is built by a guy name of probono, well-known in the AppImage packaging community. The AppImage is my favourite portable format, and, where it runs, works very well for Puppy. My portables seek to address the issue that AppImages generate, namely that wherever they are used, they leave config files & stuff behind them all over the place. To address this, and to save you having to set the things up again every time you use them, my packages keep the config stuff within the portable directory, sym-linking them out to where the app expects to find them at runtime, then removing the sym-links again at close. This enables you to run them from a flash drive, if you wish, thus making them truly portable, even between different machines.

The facility for adding a Menu entry from the portable's location, wherever it happens to be, is also included.

If you're interested in trying it out, you can find it at my MEGA.nz a/c, here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/bXgXDYoS#TEvjtGM-lYq5Kz4EwHJhyQ

Download the tarball. Unzip it, then move the portable directory to anywhere you like, though preferably outside the 'save', since the idea is to cut down on your 'paw-print' as much as you can! Then, simply click to enter the directory, and click on the 'LAUNCH' script to run it.

Let me know what you think.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hello! I tried using OBS on my FossaPup64 and ran into a problem. When trying to start recording, OBS gives an error: Failed to open NVENC codec: Unknown error occurred. Please check your video drivers are up to date. I have an NVIDIA GT218M graphics card and have tried the NVIDIA 340 and NVIDIA 450 drivers. The result is the same. OBS still throws an error. Please help solve this problem.

P.S. I've tried installing OBS portable version of Mike and also tried installing this program from Quickpet. The error is the same.

From Dmitry (Russia)

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hello! I tried OBS Studio portable version from @mikewalsh in EasyOS-3.0, doesn't work. Mike, can you please help or suggest how to get OBS Studio to work in EasyOS 3.0?

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Maybe wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:22 pm

Hello! I tried OBS Studio portable version from @mikewalsh in EasyOS-3.0, doesn't work. Mike, can you please help or suggest how to get OBS Studio to work in EasyOS 3.0?

From what I can understand of it, Barry quite openly admits that most ready-made packages - be they .pets, .debs, whatever - won't work in the Dunfell series. I don't even pretend to understand why this is. It seems the only ones guaranteed to work correctly are from the dedicated repo.....

Perhaps drop BK a line, ask him why "Dunfell" IS so different?

(Working a-OK here in EasyOS Buster 2.6.2. Records a treat...)

(*shrug*)

Mike. :|

norgo

Post by norgo »

OBS Studio version 27.1.3-37

compiled in SLC64 and is working OOTB there
( not extensively tested yet )
most probably not working in other distros because a mass of dependencies

obs-studio-27.1.3-37-x86_64.sfs

obs-studio_27.1.3-37.jpg
obs-studio_27.1.3-37.jpg (51.18 KiB) Viewed 1818 times
snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Tenoch,

Do you still want OBS 27.1. for Puppy Linux fossa 64? I built it for version 27.1.3-39, with the browser plug-in as well, and packaged it as a SFS file. I did some quick tests and recordings, but haven't finished evaluating it's stability. If you would like this SFS, please let me know.

118 MB OBS with CES browser

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

@ Maybe re "Not working under EasyOS".

Note norgo's comment about that his OBS compiled in SLC64 "most probably not working in other distros because a mass of dependencies" Emphasis supplied. Applications compiled for a specific operating system take advantage of the existence of dependencies already present in that base OS, i.e., can leave them out of the package. Applications created as AppImages include dependencies but only those required by a couple of 'targeted' Major Linux Distros. Dunfell is now the basis for BarryK's recent EasyOS, and Dunfell is not among the 'target' operating systems. Short version: EasyOS-Dunfell lacks the dependencies needed to run Open Broadcasting Software.
One of ways to overcome this is to compile OBS and ALL its dependencies under EasyOS-Dunfell. But, maybe there's easier solution, MAYBE :roll: :
EasyOS-Dunfell can run other operating systems in a container. One such that BarryK provided is fossapup64. IIRC, another is debian-Buster64. There's also a Xenialpup64. You may be able to 'install' snoring_cat's version into the containerized fossapup64; and there's a good-chance that Mike Walsh's AppImage could be used in either a containerized debian-buster64; maybe also a containerized xenialpup64.

But not in their present forms. Under EasyOS a containerized OS lacks the ability to mount other file-systems. Neither SFSes nor AppImages can be used. But you can install pets and other packages into the containerized OS. What you’d have to do to make use of either snoring_cat’s SFS or Mike Walsh’s portable is create a folder, mount the SFS or AppImage within Mike’s Portable, copy its contents into /opt within the folder you created, also create a link ‘on the path’ and a /usr/share/application’s desktop file and an icon within the folder you created then ‘dir2pet’ that folder. The result would be a pet you can install.

IIRC, the last time I worked with EasyOS, it didn’t include the tools needed to do the above. Nor ListDD to find out what, if anything, was still missing. So a pet had to be built in some other operating system; then EasyOS booted into, the Containerized OS loaded, ListDD installed into the Containerized OS, the pet installed and run or examined. If there was a problem, changes would have to be made to the pets build folder, the pet rebuilt and tried again.

On second thought, maybe compiling OBS under EasyOS-Dunfell would be easier.

EasyOS is a great system for its intended purpose: providing an ultra-secure operating system. But as a system you can easily expand beyond its creator’s interests, not so much.

Tenoch

Post by Tenoch »

snoring_cat wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:24 am

Tenoch,

Do you still want OBS 27.1. for Puppy Linux fossa 64? I built it for version 27.1.3-39, with the browser plug-in as well, and packaged it as a SFS file. I did some quick tests and recordings, but haven't finished evaluating it's stability. If you would like this SFS, please let me know.

118 MB OBS with CES browser

Thanks @snoring_cat and @mikewalsh ,

Puppy Linux Fossapup 64bits complained about libxcb-ewmh which I was able to download from the PPM (puppy package manager), however I can't pass the error:

obs: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5: version `Qt_5.15' not found (required by obs)

There is a file:

root# whereis libQt5Core.so.5
libQt5Core.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so.5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQt5Core.so

which is a symlink to libQt5Core.so.5.12.8

norgo

Post by norgo »

this means you will need at least Qt 5.15 for your OBS version
a symlink won't work

snoring_cat

Post by snoring_cat »

Hi again Tenoch,

The Puppy Package Manager for fossa 64 has Qt5 version 5.12.8, not anything newer. I'm not sure where you got OBS from. If it was built by someone on the forums, it might be built against a version of Linux that is not fossa 64. Their OS might have Qt5 at 5.15. There are some ways you can download and install 5.15, and possibly other libraries, into fossa 64, but that can be a headache (as pointed out by norgo and mikeslr). The better solution is to get OBS that was built for fossa 64. That way all of OBS' dependencies, such as Qt5 5.12 will be set up correctly.

Meeeooow!

-- substance over noise, since 5 minutes in the future --

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hello community!

I have a question, did anyone try to use OBS Studio as a virtual webcam? It is written about such a possibility here:
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/ ... alcam.539/

And here:
https://github.com/CatxFish/obs-v4l2sink

I would really like to implement this in Puppy. What are you thinking about it?

From Dmitry (Russia)

jamesbond

Post by jamesbond »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:27 am

This particular version is actually v25.07; not 'new', but up-to-date enough for most Puppians to do with what they want.
If you're interested in trying it out, you can find it at my MEGA.nz a/c, here:-

Works well in Fatdog (at least for recording purposes, I haven't tested the streaming function).
Thank you for preserving the old version. The new version doesn't work for me in Fatdog, it requires glibc 2.31. Ours is still at 2.27.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

jamesbond wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:02 am
mikewalsh wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:27 am

This particular version is actually v25.07; not 'new', but up-to-date enough for most Puppians to do with what they want.

Works well in Fatdog (at least for recording purposes, I haven't tested the streaming function).
Thank you for preserving the old version. The new version doesn't work for me in Fatdog, it requires glibc 2.31. Ours is still at 2.27.

Glad to hear it works for you. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Maybe

Post by Maybe »

Hey!

I am playing with Easy Os on my new laptop. When using OBS-portable from @mikewalsh on another laptop with GeForse video, everything worked fine. On a new laptop video Intell Graphic. And unfortunately OBS throws an error:

Failed ti initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may nedd to be updated

Please help fix the error.

Edit: Hmm, I noticed the same error in Fossa Pup

From Dmitry (Russia)

BarryK

Post by BarryK »

Maybe wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:32 am

Hey!

I am playing with Easy Os on my new laptop. When using OBS-portable from @mikewalsh on another laptop with GeForse video, everything worked fine. On a new laptop video Intell Graphic. And unfortunately OBS throws an error:

Failed ti initialize video. Your GPU may not be supported, or your graphics drivers may nedd to be updated

Please help fix the error.

Edit: Hmm, I noticed the same error in Fossa Pup

From Dmitry (Russia)

The latest EasyOS, 3.1.17, has OBS Studio builtin, see blog announcement:

https://bkhome.org/news/202112/easyos-3 ... eased.html

I compiled version 26.1.2, as 27.x requires the wayland libraries. Started it up, seems to work ok, but haven't actually tried to do anything with it.

Note, 3.1.17 also has LiVES video editor.

Dmitry,
Interested to know if you still get the gpu error. I compiled OBS, so it is going to be highly compatible with EasyOS.

peppyy

Post by peppyy »

@mikewalsh Wanted to thank you for this. I ordered a new webcam a while ago wanting to do some Pod-Com casting.
This runs perfectly in my fossa64. I played with a green bag today and made myself disappear. I will have to do a bit more research into setting up the scenes, but overall it is pretty intuitive with a great right click menu.

BTW, if anyone is looking for a green screen cheap, I found a big one on evilbay for 5 bucks. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324371076030 unless links aren't allowed.

Puppy Linux. It just works!
Foassapup 9.5 64-(Frugal) Mobo, M5A99FX PRO - CPU, AMD FX-6300 6 core - mem,32GB - Storage
ssd 128GB M4 - ssd-256GB APS - ssd-1TB PNY - GPU AMD/ATI RV630 PRO. Yes it's a Mutt.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@peppyy :-

If it works for you, does what you want, and you're happy with it.....that's great. All I can say is.....

.....enjoy!

(OBS is pretty fussy about Qt versions, AND a ton of other stuff, too. As norgo says, you are likely to get better results with a build specifically set to work with a particular Qt, glibc, libstdc++, etc, etc. I suspect this build came out of a version of Debian with very similar requirements; although I've not spoken to its packager, probono, he did publish in a blog comment somewhere the particulars of his system. It was so close to Fossapup as to make no difference, so.....I guess that's why it's hassle-free in operation.)

Mike. ;)

Return to “REQUESTS”