Wex-portable64.....'portabilized' further!

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Wex-portable64.....'portabilized' further!

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

First, let me say that mucho thanks are indeed due to @wiak (Will McEwan) for this marvellous wee item. (I DO hope you don't mind me taking it a step further, Will; it just made sense to me to do so......considering it still works as well as it ever did.)

I was very taken by this when he first published about it a few years ago, back over at Murga:-

https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 107905&i=1

Originally, it came as a collection of small .pets, which you installed together to obtain full functionality. It also required the installation of a reasonably up-to-date version of the amazing ffmpeg, in order to get that functionality. I was so impressed by the thing that I did my usual 'concatenation' trick, and condensed all the individual .pets into a single, click-to-install, click-to-use package.

Between them, Will & Fred then put together a 'portable' version, with ffmpeg statically-compiled into the 'wex-portable' binary (this accounts for the size, which still isn't unreasonable for Puppy, TBH). Which I've been using for quite some time (alongside SimpleScreenRecorder, recordMyDesktop, Xvidcap, vokoscreen, etc, etc.....you get the picture. I like to give all our available apps a fair crack of the whip, and often choose one at random, just on a whim!)

It does, however, like all apps, create some config stuff inside the 'save'. This is the single thing that I've been trying to address with the seeming explosion of portable applications I've been publishing over recent months; making every item truly 'portable' between Puppies, and indeed between different machines......by creating the appropriate configuration files inside the portable directory, then sym-linking them into position at runtime. To date, it all seems to work very well.

So, yes; you've guessed it. I've given Will's wee masterpiece my own 'portable' treatment, making it truly portable between different Pups.....'portabilizing' it further still! As always, you can even run it from a flash drive if you want.

The control panel (from the crossed spanners button on the tiny GUI) may look intimidating at first, but it's a piece of cake when you work your way through it. Don't let it put you off, because this thing really IS a gem.

(I'm afraid this IS only the 64-bit version. For some reason, although the 32-bit worked fine on the old rig, it point-blank refuses to behave itself on this new one.....and I don't know why.)

------------------------------------------------

For anybody who wants to try it out, you can find it here @ my MEGA a/c:-

https://mega.nz/folder/vDZRAaCS#mf2sunWvO-1bS4JVO2U4dg

.....or here @ my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

There's also the facility for adding a Menu entry, from wherever you have it located. As always, d/l; unzip; put the portable directory anywhere you want, preferably outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: Wex-portable32.....now behaving itself!

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Okay. After a fair bit of experimentation, I've come to realise that there is in fact nothing wrong at all with the 32-bit version as I originally built it. The fault was mine; device drivers/inodes, etc, were in different places in the 32-bit test Puppy. I've discovered before that although WeX works very, very well, you DO need to make sure that everything is set just so before attempting to run the thing. A single thing wrong, or something mis-spelt, and it'll say it's successfully recorded something.....but when you go to play it back, you'll find it isn't actually there.

This threw me out several times in the early days. Same stuff with Xvidcap, too. I haven't been using either of them for a while, as I've been using Vokoscreen instead. It's rather spoilt me!

I'd kinda forgotten that although we have some absolutely brilliant screen-recorder/capture apps here in Puppyland, because they're either 'quirky' (like Xvidcap), or ffmpeg-based (like Wex), you have to take a bit more care in setting them up initially.

----------------------------------------------------

So; if anybody would like the 32-bit version of WeX-portable, you can find it at both the same links as in post #1. Hope y'all enjoy using it....

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Multimedia”