Fully-functional YouTube downloader extension for the Chrome browser....

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Fully-functional YouTube downloader extension for the Chrome browser....

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Having a browse through MakeUseOf.com earlier on today:-

https://www.makeuseof.com/chrome-extens ... be-videos/

.....I made a neat discovery. Now, I'd always been led to believe this was impossible in Chrome, given that Google also own YouTube and would much rather you watched YT vids in Chrome than anywhere else... However:-

This extension is in fact an item from the Opera add-ons store. If you run Opera, you can download it direct. If you run Chrome, you first need to install another extension, called CrossPilot; this allows installing Opera add-ons into Google Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... pjgnhmnale

That permits using Opera-specific add-ons & extensions. Having done this, now visit the Opera add-ons store, and install

Easy YouTube Video Downloader

from here:-

https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/ ... for-opera/

The above MUO article shows how you use it. Probably won't be functional for that long - most of these kinda things fall by the wayside in a matter of months, 'cos Google are always tinkering with the YouTube code specifically TO kill stuff like this - but for now, I can thoroughly recommend it.

It works darned well.....with minimal fuss.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

PipzDex

Re: Fully-functional YouTube downloader extension for the Chrome browser....

Post by PipzDex »

Hi @mikewalsh

i'm usingv this addon in firefox and it's very easy to use

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addo ... et-helper/

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

puppydave

Post by puppydave »

Yet other options, especially for very old puppies:

ytprivate.com is an instance of invidious. It doesn't use HTTPS so it is accessible even in browsers that have been rendered obsolete by the TLS apocalypse. You can play the video in the browser if your computer can handle that, if it can't, the download menu is on the left, can even download 144p 3gp files. Incredibly it even works in Links2. Credit for discovery goes to z970mp on the macrumors.com PowerPC forum. PowerPC hardware is now 15 plus years old, so they have to get VERY creative to keep Powermacs viable (sort of) in the modern world. I have noticed that in older versions of Firefox (45 and lower) the download menu doesn't appear. But it does in Links 2...weird.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/yo ... e.2310492/

video.2yxa.mobi is a Russian youtube downloaded site. In Russia lots of people are pretty poor and subsequently have really slow computers and really slow cellphones, so this site exists to allow youtube access on those older machines. Switch to english by clicking the en button down on the page, enter the four digit code and search for then download your video. Works in Links2 and even in Classilla, an ancient Mozilla based browser for Mac OS 9. Credit for discovery goes to Dronecatcher from the macrumors.com PowerPC forums.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@puppydave - I've looked at ytprivate.com. Looks promising but: I notice that data is downloading whatever, even if you don't start the video player or specify a download option (probably the video just loading in full anyway without stopping before that). Unfortunately this is using a lot of data. So - what i do a lot, is actually read the comments without watching the video. Now this won't work well with this as data is downloading anyway.

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:23 pm

Easy YouTube Video Downloader

I am using Video DownloadHelper. It supports many video sites and has a companion download program that installs in /opt. And most importantly, there is the Copy URL function, with which you can transfer a video stream to a script that opens a video in mpv or SMPlayer.

puppydave wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:04 pm

In Russia lots of people are pretty poor and subsequently have really slow computers and really slow cellphones

It's not about poverty. If a rich Russian is offered a paid and free option, he will choose a freebie. This is something from nature :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Grey wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:33 pm

And most importantly, there is the Copy URL function, with which you can transfer a video stream to a script that opens a video in mpv or SMPlayer.

Or download it using Menu>Internet>Uget, freeing up your browser while it downloads, and --with recent versions of Uget under some Puppys-- resume downloading if there's an interruption.

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikeslr wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:16 pm
Grey wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:33 pm

And most importantly, there is the Copy URL function, with which you can transfer a video stream to a script that opens a video in mpv or SMPlayer.

Or download it using Menu>Internet>Uget, freeing up your browser while it downloads, and --with recent versions of Uget under some Puppys-- resume downloading if there's an interruption.

It is possible and so, why not :thumbup: I did that yesterday.
But some links only "live" for a certain amount of time. In this case, you need to reload the page and get a new link.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Grey

Post by Grey »

I read the news. It seems that in the latest versions, the addon author has been banned (Google) from supporting YT in Chrome for some countries. Firefox version was not touched.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”