WE NEED A "SPAM" THREAD or SECTION...!!!

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

WE NEED A "SPAM" THREAD or SECTION...!!!

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Once again, I mention it...

viewtopic.php?p=3824#p3824

We get flooded with the stuff over at BleepingComputer. Some days, we seem to do nothing BUT deal with spam over there. Much as we would like to believe it, the Puppy Forum is NOT immune....

We really need a regular thread where the stuff can be reported. I know it's not exciting like discussing new Puppies and/or software, but we NEED the mechanism in place.....or else we will get overrun.

Just thought somebody ought to bring this to the attention of all.

Mike. :o
TerryH

Re: WE NEED A "SPAM" THREAD or SECTION...!!!

Post by TerryH »

Yes I noticed that peebee reported a spam thread recently. The process used on the old forum seemed to work quite well, maybe that could be reintroduced.

One thing to note though is that this forum does have a 'Report this post' link in the form of the Exclamation icon ! opposite the post title.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@mikewalsh

We're modern now. I've been getting spam reports on a regular basis by using what you've noticed, that being the "Report this Post" button. There is an extensive control panel for moderators and administrators to deal with the spam and spammers.

For example I login in the morning and get notices that reports exist. A control panel I can then open so I can read the details in the report and I can then immediately act on what the report says. Why you don't see much spam is because this system is working and we are responding. Once the report is dealt with I can "close" the report or "delete" the report. If I delete the offending post the report is closed automatically.

There is no need for a sub-forum for spam reporting. Please try out the "Report this Post" button when you need to and the situation will be handled.

Thanks for the concern and vigilance.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@rockedge :-

Ah! Okay; fair enough. (I wasn't certain what that was for, although BC does employ a similar kind of mechanism.....it tends to get used a lot by members who fancy themselves as would-be moderators..! :lol: :lol: :lol:) We've got a small but determined bunch who, TBH, do a lot of our work FOR us, just leaving us with the actual cleaning-up to do. And to be fair, "Grinler" (Lawrence Abrams, the site founder, aka "the Guv'nor" :lol:) HAS automated a lot of spam detection/banning in recent months, so.....it's nowhere NEAR as bad as it was, say, at the start of the pandemic.

Thanks for the info. That'll do nicely.....!

Mike. ;)
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I wonder :idea:
Could the identity information that shows when you hover over that "Report this Post" button , just have added to it to read:
"Report this Post as spam or other" .

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

hello bigpup,

sounds like a good idea! I'll look into adding the text to read : "Report this Post as Spam or other".
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@rockedge
Maybe you should also adjust the options in the dropdown list

Code: Select all

<option value="1">The message contains links to illegal or pirated software.</option><option value="2">The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product.</option><option value="3">The reported message is off topic.</option><option value="4">The reported message does not fit into any other category, please use the further information field.</option>
Currently Spam fits into the 2nd option but I find it hard to comprehend ("only purpose to advertise for a website or another product"). Everybody understands Spam, so why not call it Spam and make it the first choice? How often would one need the current first choice? Either we regard this also a Spam or it can be explained in the last option, which IMO should read "Other reasons, please explain". Keep it simple. And the current 3rd option, if consequently used, would make the forum unusable and your admin life miserable :lol:

Return to “Users”