Youtube-Get, a GUI frontend for youtube-dl (now yt-dlp)

Moderator: Forum moderators

fredx181

Re: Youtube-Get, a GUI frontend for youtube-dlc

Post by fredx181 »

sc0ttman wrote:

Does anyone know if

that YAD wget downloader is a standalone thing?
if so, does it support xembed, so it can be embedded in other apps, like tabbed?

(Does yad have something like a --embed option, and if so, does this wget yad downloader?)

Thanks

Not standalone, I'd say, it's advanced way of using the yad --multi-progress option.
I got it mostly from here:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/463012/ ... gress-bars

Fred

fredx181

Youtube-Get updated, v 1.4.0

Post by fredx181 »

*** Youtube-get updated, v 1.4.0 ***

Changes / Fixes:
- Fixed that some quality choices didn't work (e.g. .flv and .3gp seem to be obsolete) and added some more quality choices.
Note: Required now is to have ffmpeg installed (for merging Audio/Video). Except for options "Medium" and "High" (ffmpeg not needed)
- Added Drag n' Drop option to the GUI. See also here ("standalone" script): viewtopic.php?p=12313#p12313

Download v1.4.0: https://github.com/doglinux/busterdog/r ... noarch.pet

v1.0.4
v1.0.4
youtube-get3-v1.4.0.png (54 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

Fred

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@fredx181 :-

Fred, I think you've cracked it, mate..!

I've recently set-up a new frugal of 32-bit Xenialpup 7.5, and, amongst all the other multimedia stuff I've now got on here, thought I'd give the newest version of this a look-see.

SO much easier to use than any previous version; it just works perfectly.....with a minimum of effort on the part of the user. I don't have the playback issues others experience now I've maxed this new tower's RAM out and turned it into a real beast of a thing ( :lol: ), but it sure is nice to be able to download YT vids to watch at my leisure.

Truly excellent work, m'man. Cheers..!

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Thanks Mike, good to hear!

SO much easier to use than any previous version;

I'm curious, what exactly is so much easier for you compared to earlier versions ?
Well, I know that I made some fixes (e.g. speedup waiting time etc...), but easier ..., or perhaps you mean the added dragndrop option?

Fred

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

drag and drop option does it for me. Should run smooth on WeeDog-Void's as well!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

fredx181 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:37 pm

Thanks Mike, good to hear!

SO much easier to use than any previous version;

I'm curious, what exactly is so much easier for you compared to earlier versions ?
Well, I know that I made some fixes (e.g. speedup waiting time etc...), but easier ..., or perhaps you mean the added dragndrop option?

Fred

First time I've used this version, Fred; haven't tried this for the best part of a year, and of course, it's all changed, hasn't it?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

keniv

Post by keniv »

Hi Fred,
Got a "download error" when I tried with v1.3.0 so installed v1.4.0 and can confirm its now working again in DpupStrech 7.5. Don't know if the "download error" was jut a coincidence or not but best to have the most up to date version anyway.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Youtube-get updated, v 1.5.1

Post by fredx181 »

*** Youtube-get updated, v 1.5.1 ***
(EDIT: Latest is now v1.5.1, see info here: viewtopic.php?p=17532#p17532)

Changes / Fixes:
- Instead of previously using youtube-dlc, now makes use of youtube-dl
End of last year youtube-dlc development stopped, youtube-dl is frequently updated nowadays.
One of the reasons I earlier preferred youtube-dlc was that the search option was much better, but now that seems to be fixed in youtube-dl

Attached on top of first post: youtube-get3-1.5.1_noarch.pet [edited]
youtube-dl is NOT included in the pet package, if it's not installed it will install (and/or update) by clicking the "Update youtube-dl" button.

Fred

keniv

Re: Youtube-get updated, v 1.5.0

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:58 pm

youtube-dl is NOT included in the pet package, if it's not installed it will install (and/or update) by clicking the "Update youtube-dl" button.

Hello Fred,
Removed v1.4.0 from DpupStrech 7.5 and installed new v1.5.0. Got an message telling me I didn't have youtube-dl and to press the "update youtube-dl button". I did this. The result is shown in the attached image. I've repeated the process a number of times but get the same result. Also tried to update the v1.4.0 that I have in BusterDog via synaptic but v1.4.0 is shown as the latest version. Has the version for BusterDog been updated or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
UpdateYoutube.dl.jpg
UpdateYoutube.dl.jpg (24.86 KiB) Viewed 1337 times
fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:28 am

Hello Fred,
Removed v1.4.0 from DpupStrech 7.5 and installed new v1.5.0. Got an message telling me I didn't have youtube-dl and to press the "update youtube-dl button". I did this. The result is shown in the attached image. I've repeated the process a number of times but get the same result. Also tried to update the v1.4.0 that I have in BusterDog via synaptic but v1.4.0 is shown as the latest version. Has the version for BusterDog been updated or am I doing something wrong?

Regards,

Ken.

Yes, thanks Ken, I found what was the problem and should be fixed now (v1.5.1 attached at first post).
Apparently for some Puppy versions the curl command needs the -k switch (no check certificate) for to install/update youtube-dl, I added it now to the youtube-get3 script.
For BusterDog I didn't update yet, but did just now, so can be installed from Synaptic (v1.5.1)

Fred

keniv

Post by keniv »

fredx181 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:23 pm
keniv wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:28 am

Hello Fred,

Regards,

Ken.

Yes, thanks Ken, I found what was the problem and should be fixed now (v1.5.1 attached at first post).
Apparently for some Puppy versions the curl command needs the -k switch (no check certificate) for to install/update youtube-dl, I added it now to the youtube-get3 script.
For BusterDog I didn't update yet, but did just now, so can be installed from Synaptic (v1.5.1)

Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanks for a very quick repair and updating the BusterDog version in synaptic. Oddly enough I've just been using v1.4.0 in BusterDog. I'll do the updates and report back.

Ken.

keniv

Re: Youtube-Get, a GUI frontend for youtube-dl

Post by keniv »

@fredx181
Have installed v1.5.1 in DpupStrectch and all is working. As part of trying to move on from older pups I also have installed Slacko64 7.0 and Bionicpup64 8.0. I installed v1.5.1 in both of these and it's working in both. I have also downloaded from synaptic in BusterDog and also now working in BusterDog. One thing I did noticed in synaptic is that v1.5.1 is still described as "frontend for youtube-dlc". Should it not now be "frontend for youtube-dl". I'm sorry if this is a bit pedantic.

Thanks again for the fix.

Ken.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

keniv wrote:

One thing I did noticed in synaptic is that v1.5.1 is still described as "frontend for youtube-dlc". Should it not now be "frontend for youtube-dl"

Yes, thanks for mentioning, I will leave it as is for now, but keep it in mind for when updating next.

Fred

fredx181

Re: Youtube-Get, a GUI frontend for youtube-dl [updated]

Post by fredx181 »

*** Youtube-get3 updated, v1.5.2 ***
Attachment at first post, changes:
- Fixed that it didn't display well when running with installed yad compiled with gtk3 (should be ok now with both gtk2 and gtk3 yad).
See also report from @keniv here: viewtopic.php?p=36609#p36609
- Fixed that "Download from YouTube user" didn't work properly.
- Other small fixes (e.g. that clicking "Cancel" didn't really cancel in some cases (e.g. from Download list))

Fred

keniv

Post by keniv »

Thanks Fred,
I kept a copy of the original yad from Easy OS 2.9 and installed the one from your link so I can try v1.5.2 with both versions an see how it goes.

Regards,

Ken.

keniv

Post by keniv »

Hello Fred,
I've installed v1.5.2 in Easy OS v2.6.2, 2.9 and BusterDog and it works in all of them. Easy OS 2.9 works using either version of yad. You probably know this but I thought it might be worth reporting.

Regards,

Ken.

fredx181

Re: Youtube-Get, a GUI frontend for youtube-dl (now yt-dlp)

Post by fredx181 »

Updated: youtube-get3 v1.5.3, now using yt-dlp, attached at first post, see also discussion, starting here: viewtopic.php?p=40379#p40379

EDIT: I should find a way to update the script easily, so that youtube-dl or whatever name ( yt-dlp, youtube-dlc, yt-dlx, yt-dlz :shock: :? ) needs to be edited just by changing variable name, e.g. YTDL=....

Fred

Grey

Post by Grey »

fredx181 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:31 pm

youtube-get3 v1.5.3

Hi Fred. Very nice script. I have only 3 observations:
a. After loading a video, the main menu does not return. It would be better if it reappeared.
b. If I download two videos at the same time and the quality is set to "Very High" (1080), then one video is downloaded really 1920x1080, but the second is 3840X2160 (Highest).
c. Multimedia (AudioVideo) menu item. It would be better in Internet (X-Internet-transfer), where qBittorrent and uGet are located.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:22 am
fredx181 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:31 pm

youtube-get3 v1.5.3

Hi Fred. Very nice script. I have only 3 observations:
a. After loading a video, the main menu does not return. It would be better if it reappeared.
b. If I download two videos at the same time and the quality is set to "Very High" (1080), then one video is downloaded really 1920x1080, but the second is 3840X2160 (Highest).
c. Multimedia (AudioVideo) menu item. It would be better in Internet (X-Internet-transfer), where qBittorrent and uGet are located.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'll see what I can do with your suggestions for a possibly next version .
a. Yes that would be better indeed. EDIT: You mean: return back to the main GUI (with the options, e.g. search, user, dragndrop) ?
b. That's difficult to fix because it depends on the availability of some quality mode, e.g. if 1080p is not available, it may switch to 2160p (as in your example), I've put that in on purpose, so that it will download anyway, using the next available quality, but I'll have a look if it can be more fine-tuned perhaps.
c. Yes

Grey

Post by Grey »

fredx181 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:42 pm

You mean: return back to the main GUI (with the options, e.g. search, user, dragndrop) ?

Yes, to get back to where we started from.
In theory, we can conduct a poll or vote on the forum. On the other hand, the author must sometimes be a dictator and not listen to these pathetic little people (users) :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Grey wrote:

In theory, we can conduct a poll or vote on the forum. On the other hand, the author must sometimes be a dictator and not listen to these pathetic little people (users)

NoNo.. users who are giving feedback are the greatest ! ;)

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@fredx181

Thank you so much for this application :thumbup2: (working in FossaPup64)

I have struggling using the command line and would end up with larger files than necessary.

I noticed that your using Wget to download the files (1st post - screenshot).

From my experience Aria2c appears to work faster for me (in my opinion).

I do have Wget2 installed, is it possible that I could edit a configuration file in order to use this version instead of Wget?

Just wanted to see if that would increase the speed slightly more.

Have a great weekend!!

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Hello @Jasper glad you like it !

Well, that screenshot is from an older Youtube-get version, latest is using yt-dlp for all downloading, no wget anymore, except for one option it uses wget (couldn't make that work with yt-dlp), that is:
"Download from YouTube url" GUI which has checkbox "Choose quality from download list ...."
Don't know if you use that , anyway, code for downloading from that list is on line 355 of /usr/local/bin/youtube-get3 script , you can try to change there to wget2 perhaps.

Is the download speed not utilizing your full capacity ?
It could be that Youtube is throttling the speed, specially perhaps when you download a lot (at the same time ?)

ljlj

Post by ljlj »

regards
can you add all net
videos(nyt ,lat... dailymotion)
not only youtube?

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

ljlj wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:26 pm

regards
can you add all net
videos(nyt ,lat... dailymotion)
not only youtube?

Had a quick look at that and noticed that e.g. Dailymotion has very different quality settings than Youtube, so no, will be too complicated to support others too, sorry.

Jasper

Post by Jasper »

@fredx181

Firstly, let me thank you for sharing the code with us.

I did change the downloader as yt-dlp can use an external one. I tried Wget & Wget2 and for some reason Aria2c worked best for me.

I did try the "Quality" option and it worked really well (today).

I also tried a playlist option yesterday and as prescribed it downloaded 5 links simultaneously (default setting looking at the code).

Hats off to you. It's great piece of work!! :thumbup2:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

*** Updated youtube-get3 ***
v1.5.4, fixed bug when the video ID (after https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=) starts with a dash "-" e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-meEe-jTFlk that downloading failed.
New attached at First Post
Thanks @cobaka for noticing. viewtopic.php?p=75956#p75956

Tip:
About the Option "Download from Youtube User", I always had problems using that since the "real" username isn't displayed most of the time as it really is on YouTube (uploader_id).
But found a way (by using yt-dlp and python3) to get it from a YouTube url, from terminal; (just example, replace https:/.... with what you are looking for)
yt-dlp -j https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-meEe-jTFlk 2> /dev/null | python3 -c "import sys, json; print(json.load(sys.stdin)['uploader_id'])"
Gives "JALfurther" (on Youtube the channel name is "Just a Little Further")

keniv

Post by keniv »

@fredx181
Have downloaded and installed youtube-get3 v1.5.4 in FossaPup after uninstalling youtube-get3 v1.5.3. Only tried "Download from Youtube Search" so far (I probably use this option more often than the others) and it appears to be working fine. Also tried updating yt-dlp but it was up to date at 2022.11.11. I also have youtube-get3 v1.5.3 installed in other pups and dogs so I will swap over to youtube-get3 v1.5.4 here as well. Thanks for the above update.

Regards,

Ken.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”