How to stop web sites from loading useless junk?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

How to stop web sites from loading useless junk?

Post by amethyst »

This is becoming a real problem. How does one stop all this extra sh*t loading on some sites? Some sites are so resource hungry it drags my laptop to the edge and of course if you have limited data, it's a nightmare to use.

Last edited by Flash on Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Original title: Heavy web sites
redandwhitestripes

Re: Heavy web sites

Post by redandwhitestripes »

Have you tried ublockorigin? It works even on Palemoon

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

redandwhitestripes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:56 am

Wouldn't install on my 32-bit Palemoon version.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Whatever browser you are using, should have blocking settings, for some stuff.
Should be some add-ons, you can use to block or limit, other stuff.

I have a very limited setting for allowed cookies, in Pale Moon browser. that I am using.
Something new, I now see more and more.
I am now noticing a lot of web sites, pop up a message, about cookies.
Asking me to allow all cookies or select to make specific settings, for what I will allow.
This I do not like and I do not know why, they think I would like this :thumbdown:

I think allowing some advertisements, on a web site, is not that bad a thing.
They have to make some money, some how!
But now they have gone to constant running videos, that do eat up speed and resources.
Those I can do without and am not going to allow, if I can.
If not able to stop these videos.
I just find a different web site.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

redandwhitestripes

Post by redandwhitestripes »

amethyst wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:23 am

Are you using the Palemoon version? It used to work for me on my old 32 bit laptop. You have to select add ons from the tool section of the menu to go to the PM specific add on section, it's under the "privacy and security" section of the add ons.

Grey

Post by Grey »

bigpup wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:34 am

This is the correct approach.
Some sites and services have recently begun to believe in the impossibility of replacing them with others.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

redandwhitestripes wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:46 am
amethyst wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:23 am

Are you using the Palemoon version? It used to work for me on my old 32 bit laptop. You have to select add ons from the tool section of the menu to go to the PM specific add on section, it's under the "privacy and security" section of the add ons.

It used to work yes, I think I had UBlock or something which was actually a specific version for Palemoon. That worked for a few months and then suddenly stopped working. I tried to download adblock latitude. Although it's listed on the official Palemoon site I don't see a download link.

Edit: I've got UBlock Origin installed. Got it from a third party repository. Now to see if it is actually of any benefit.....

Last edited by amethyst on Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:49 am

Some sites and services have recently begun to believe in the impossibility of replacing them with others.

You can't replace sites like LinkedIn, Facebook, etc.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I can confirm that uBlock Origin seems to work well with Palemoon, even does a good job of blocking ads on youtube (Adblock Latitude stopped working with youtube, I think). Recommended, here's the download link: https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... legacy.xpi

And things are getting better: I have now installed this same in the Light Browser. This is now even more effective as the older Light Browser already shuts out a lot of stuff (especially some embedded video players). :thumbup:

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:08 pm

Easily. I don't use them. And I have not even died and am still cheerful in spirit :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts

a script for writing your /etc/hosts file

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

Grey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Easily. I don't use them. And I have not even died and am still cheerful in spirit :)

Couldn't agree more Grey. I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any of that stuff, but I believe Facebook is one of the heaviest out there.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

stevie pup wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:23 pm
Grey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:49 pm

Couldn't agree more Grey. I don't use Facebook, Twitter or any of that stuff, but I believe Facebook is one of the heaviest out there.

Mm-hm. Because the assumption is that, if you are on social media in the first place, then of course you want to know every time someone else coughs, sneezes, picks their nose, farts, swears, or starts contemplating their navel..! Why wouldn't you?

(Huhh...??!?) :o :shock: :roll: :roll:

It's "opium for the masses". It's a way of keeping 'em occupied....and it's a way of life I have absolutely no time for. Unfortunately, it's got so that many individuals (and organisations) will ONLY share stuff on social media.

What can you do.....especially when you're a dinosaur - like me - who doesn't even have a smartphone? (Something I hope I can do without for a good long while yet...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

wiak

Post by wiak »

Are you sure Puppy Linux Discussion Forum isn't "social media"? ;-)

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Grey

Post by Grey »

wiak wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:35 am

Most likely. But at least it works without tension on any low-power "vacuum cleaner" and "coffee maker" :)

dancytron

Post by dancytron »

Grey wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:49 am

Youtube is another bad one but you can replace it with Freetube and the assorted youtube downloaders.

I hate facebook too, but it's the main web presence for a lot of small businesses so I have a fake name account I never post with to at least read stuff. If you use m.facebook.com instead of www.facebook.com, it gives you the mobile version which is somewhat lighter. I don't know about twitter, but other websites have mobile versions. You might even spoof the user agent settings.

amethyst

Re: How to stop web sites from loading useless junk?

Post by amethyst »

LinkedIn is very important for business connections, professional job seeking/offering, etc. Facebook mobile version lacks the functions of the full version. I don't use either of these sites for casual chat or other time-wasting activities. Likewise with Twitter, I use it for information purposes, for instance checking if our local transport system is running on time, etc.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:40 am

LinkedIn is very important for business connections, professional job seeking/offering, etc. Facebook mobile version lacks the functions of the full version. I don't use either of these sites for casual chat or other time-wasting activities. Likewise with Twitter, I use it for information purposes, for instance checking if our local transport system is running on time, etc.

Then you need to accept their rules of the game :) After all, you have let them into your life and you depend on them, not they on you.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

wiak wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:35 am

The way some topics are misunderstood or messed up, that may well be the case. Some of the chatter becomes so unrelated and off-topic it may as well be continued in the off-topic area or carried on in some social chat room.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Grey wrote:

But at least it works without tension on any low-power "vacuum cleaner" and "coffee maker"

The team works hard on keeping the this forum running and staying compatible for low powered systems, older legacy systems up to the most modern super computers. Also we keep both http and https access available.

stevie pup

Post by stevie pup »

mikewalsh wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:09 pm

What can you do.....especially when you're a dinosaur - like me - who doesn't even have a smartphone?

Not sure that I'm going to admit to being a dinosaur just yet, but I don't have a smartphone either. What on earth am I going to do with a screen that size? I don't use my netbook very often as the 11 inch screen is too small for me, so I can't see me getting very far with a smartphone.

Likewise with Twitter, I use it for information purposes, for instance checking if our local transport system is running on time, etc.

I just stand at the bus stop and wait for the bus to turn up. If it does, all well and good, if it doesn't I wait for the next one :lol:

Grey

Post by Grey »

stevie pup wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:53 pm

Likewise with Twitter, I use it for information purposes, for instance checking if our local transport system is running on time, etc.

I just stand at the bus stop and wait for the bus to turn up. If it does, all well and good, if it doesn't I wait for the next one :lol:

By the way, buses and minibuses are a good example Image Image
Students in transport (and even respectable uncles) now call each other every two minutes. "I'll be there in five minutes. I'll be there in four. It's almost there, three. I'm already approaching the door. I'm already ringing the intercom. I can already see you approaching"Image

Therefore, Facebook is a consequence, not a cause Image Social networks only exploit the existing system and strengthen it. The main consumers love not to read, but to watch and listen. You have to shove a lot of pictures and videos, and this slows down the site on slow devices.

Return to “Users”