Sound not working over HDMI in Fossapup

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

Zarius

Sound not working over HDMI in Fossapup

Post by Zarius »

Okay, so I haven't tested my headset yet (mostly because the data the Retrovol program is giving me makes me absolutely terrified to try to), but I'm not getting any sound over my HDMI. Video's working just fine. I'm not sure if I should be looking at an insufficient graphics driver, or if there's just a setting I need to slap around a little. But Retrovol is telling me that my volume is at 65295%. Which makes me concerned that, if I try to hook up my headset, my computer's going to explode.

Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you get the idea. I like my eardrums in one piece each.

Hexcore AMD
Radeon RX 570 via HDMI
using a usb WLAN adapter
FossaPup installed on thumbdrive (for now)
sdc1 is 622M/635M FAT32 for the boot loader, sdc2 is 6.4G/6.8G ext4 for the actual puppy, installed as a frugal.

Hexcore AMD
Hellhound AMD Radeon RX 6600 via HDMI
using a usb WLAN adapter
FossaPup install on 500gb drive; 300mb for boot drive, the rest for Frugal install; folder, not file.

(Feel free to message me if there's anything else I should add here.)

April

Re: Sound not working over HDMI in Fossapup

Post by April »

Take a screenshot of the retrovol window . right click on the sound icon in the tray and post the pic here please.
Here is mine-There is something not right with the headphone useage when it is on its darn hard to turn off.
The list of Fossapup problems just keeps growing and no one jumps in to claim responsibility .
I think he's off playing god somewhere else.

retrovolGUI.jpg
retrovolGUI.jpg (32.27 KiB) Viewed 1337 times

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@April :-

Don't be so quick to pass judgement. You talk as though it's your God-given right to have somebody else sort all your issues out for you. I'll tell you this much for free.....Master Broughton (666philb) has put in way more work on Puppies over the years than you - or I! - could ever possibly hope to.

Unless you feel you can do better, don't criticise.....huh?

Mike. :roll:

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I see the 65295 frequently on new installs. You will need to run the sound card wizard, to determine which selection is for the method you wish to use. Look in the Setup Menu.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Last year, when FossaPUP64 released, I had a rough time getting audio & video working as an OOTB solution. This effort was mirrored when FATDOG and Slacko64 v8+ released.

I have a couple of desktops that have nVidia adapters. But, over the past year, my effort has disappeared for those 3 PUPs as my main PC is booting with Noveau driver, OOTB AND I have full features. My experiences were mentioned on the forum threads for each of the mentioned PUPs-DOGs. Further, the sound card wizard is a nightmare to use, but, I did finally manage to navigate its quirky use for debug and sound testing. Its QUIRKY AND I am hopeful that sometime in the future a better less quirky utility surfaces to help in discovery of the paths and sound test for each path that is a little better to understand and use.

I assume you are using an HDMI cable that is male on both ends allowing you to merely plug into both the TV and your PC,

On my PC to TV connection, I must use my TV remote to raise/lower the volume because the desktop-taskbar control does not.

You are showing a Radeon card and I dont have a PC with that adapter or motherboard adapter.

It is hoped that other members will share any/all experiences on this HDMI use. This advancement to using a TV as both a video and audio service has much benefit.

Zarius

Post by Zarius »

April wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:21 am

Take a screenshot of the retrovol window . right click on the sound icon in the tray and post the pic here please.

One screenshot

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 1310 times

Hexcore AMD
using a usb WLAN adapter
FossaPup install on 500gb drive; 300mb for boot drive, the rest for Frugal install; folder, not file.

redandwhitestripes

Post by redandwhitestripes »

I don't know if it will work for you but every time I boot a new Puppy, the SCW wizard gives me several HDMI sound options. I play around with each one, select each one and always check every box in the configuration list that automatically pops up, then play a test sound. Eventually one of the options will work and that option will also work across the board for every Linux I use on the same system. Also, keep in mind that any software has to be restarted after the new sound card is selected to get sound working with it. There's always a bit of trial and error but it always works out.

I also agree that bashing people who offer support and advice out of nothing but generosity is not the right way to go.

Zarius

Post by Zarius »

Well, found one that gives me *something*, at least. I'm now getting sound from Discord, but not from Pale Moon or Firefox. And the sound is quiet and I can't adjust it. Sound still shows at 65295%. So, minor improvement so far.

Edit/update: I'm also getting sound from the one game I downloaded to test things on (Colony Survival), but it's still a lot quieter than it should be, given that my sound options are cranked to the max. Though, if I could get it working with my browsers, I could just adjust it with my TV (which is only at 15).

Edit/update 2: Sound is working with Pale Moon, but not with Firefox. Which is problematic because I can't get Roll20 to run properly on Pale Moon (it won't actually load character sheets). So, it's half working.

Hexcore AMD
using a usb WLAN adapter

April

Post by April »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:01 pm

Don't be so quick to pass judgement. You talk as though it's your God-given right to have somebody else sort all your issues out for you. I'll tell you this much for free.....Master Broughton (666philb) has put in way more work on Puppies over the years than you - or I! - could ever possibly hope to.

C'mon Mike . Whats got into you ! I use Phils stuff all the time and gladly so . However hes not fixing anything in Fossapup for whatever reason and the criticism is valid . I have found at least half a dozen bugs in Fossa and posted them here without ANY answers at all from Phil or anybody else that might be working on it . Issuing software and then abandoning it is useless to everyone and I'll bloody winge when I want and your opinion matters not one iota to me. . Why he's not answering I don't know but somebody should . That's what I criticise . Pull your head in mate!

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

April

Post by April »

@Zarius Its way over my head i'm afraid . never been good with sound . Come to think of it I've never had more than 1 sound board and never had hdmi !

What is IEC9584 ? for instance

redandwhitestripes

Post by redandwhitestripes »

Zarius wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:47 am

Well, found one that gives me *something*, at least. I'm now getting sound from Discord, but not from Pale Moon or Firefox. And the sound is quiet and I can't adjust it. Sound still shows at 65295%. So, minor improvement so far.

Edit/update: I'm also getting sound from the one game I downloaded to test things on (Colony Survival), but it's still a lot quieter than it should be, given that my sound options are cranked to the max. Though, if I could get it working with my browsers, I could just adjust it with my TV (which is only at 15).

Edit/update 2: Sound is working with Pale Moon, but not with Firefox. Which is problematic because I can't get Roll20 to run properly on Pale Moon (it won't actually load character sheets). So, it's half working.

Are you restarting the browser each time or rebooting the whole system? A lot of browsers stay running in the background even when closed and I think they would need a full shutdown to start reading from the newly selected soundcard.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

@Zarius After mentioning to you that you should run the Soundcard Wizard, it appears you haven't done that yet.

If you go to Menu > Setup > ALSA sound Wizard. Click on the 3rd item Sound Card Wizard. A number of sound card options will be displayed. Test each one, if the Bark sound is played as you require, click the Select Card/Device to select that option as your sound card. After doing that a correct Retrovol GUI will be displayed you can adjust the sound from. The sound icon in the tray should now also work as well.

Attachments
Sound wizard / Retrovol GUI
Sound wizard / Retrovol GUI
sound.jpg (99.22 KiB) Viewed 1003 times

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Zarius wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:47 am

Well, found one that gives me *something*, at least. I'm now getting sound from Discord, but not from Pale Moon or Firefox. And the sound is quiet and I can't adjust it. ...

My observation: Once SCW has allowed PC to use one of its paths to output HDMI audio, sound volume-control on my configuration is controlled externally to TV. I use the TV's remote to control sound volume.

Now, within that volume controller, on the desktop, each app that provides audio, may or may-not be able to control it's audio. The taskbar speaker does NOT control TV's speakers after HDMI setup; again, this is in my case.

Zarius

Post by Zarius »

April wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 am

C'mon Mike . Whats got into you ! I use Phils stuff all the time and gladly so . However hes not fixing anything in Fossapup for whatever reason and the criticism is valid . I have found at least half a dozen bugs in Fossa and posted them here without ANY answers at all from Phil or anybody else that might be working on it . Issuing software and then abandoning it is useless to everyone and I'll bloody winge when I want and your opinion matters not one iota to me. . Why he's not answering I don't know but somebody should . That's what I criticise . Pull your head in mate!

Hey, um... Both of you. How about not having an argument in the middle of a thread asking for help? If you've got a problem with something the other said, take it to private messages. If you're going to post here, give me ideas.

Hexcore AMD
using a usb WLAN adapter

Zarius

Post by Zarius »

TerryH wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:07 pm

@Zarius After mentioning to you that you should run the Soundcard Wizard, it appears you haven't done that yet.

If you go to Menu > Setup > ALSA sound Wizard. Click on the 3rd item Sound Card Wizard. A number of sound card options will be displayed. Test each one, if the Bark sound is played as you require, click the Select Card/Device to select that option as your sound card. After doing that a correct Retrovol GUI will be displayed you can adjust the sound from. The sound icon in the tray should now also work as well.

So, yeah. I did that. Just did it again to be sure. Option one just opens the volume mixer (Which is still showing as six check boxes and one slider). Option two barks for me. Option three just shows the window that I used to find the sound option that worked. Option four breaks everything, and I have to go back in to option three to select the correct option to get sound back. So, uhh... I don't know what to tell you that I'm actually allowed to say on forums.

Hexcore AMD
using a usb WLAN adapter

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Zarius wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:30 am

Option two barks for me.

When option 2 barks when you test, you should then click "Select card/device", this will make that the default.

Zarius

Post by Zarius »

I *did*, which is why everything *but* Firefox is giving me sound just fine. I figured out (a/the?) solution, though. Starting it up through the console with 'apulse' appended as a suffix makes it load with sound, now I just need to figure out how to make it do it when I start it up.

Hexcore AMD
using a usb WLAN adapter

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Zarius wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:00 am

I *did*, which is why everything *but* Firefox is giving me sound just fine. I figured out (a/the?) solution, though. Starting it up through the console with 'apulse' appended as a suffix makes it load with sound, now I just need to figure out how to make it do it when I start it up.

Depending on how firefox is set up to run in your installation, it could be done in several ways, but basically the same as running it from a console. You need to include apulse firefox in a script which executes firefox or in the .desktop file which you use.

April

Post by April »

Zarius wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:22 am
April wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:27 am

Hey, um... Both of you. How about not having an argument in the middle of a thread asking for help? If you've got a problem with something the other said, take it to private messages. If you're going to post here, give me ideas.

You know what you can do don't you !

boof

Post by boof »

Let me tell you ,nothing is safe with the internet. /fixed

Return to “Fossapup64”