'successful' WDL_Void64 build test

wiak

'successful' WDL_Void64 build test

Post by wiak »

@rockedge
I managed to build a 'working' WDL_Void64 via one of your old plugins slightly modified (don't ask me which one - I downloaded it a while ago, but I'll send you a copy once I've tried a second build with it). However, two problems - first, some of the essential packages, such as xorg didn't get installed (I wasn't watching the build process so it could simply be the typical hopelessly unreliable Void repo timing out - at least it seems hopeless during WDL_Void builds...).

The other problem is weird. It booted as far as saying something like Running /init (something like that anyway) but then just hung... apparently endlessly. I just left it sitting there doing nothing, but then out of nowhere it finally decided to continue the boot and got to a login prompt. I entered root:root and was in and startx started the desktop and here I am posting from it using its installed firefox... But something really odd with that boot - is it something runit is timing eventually timing out on I wonder...? I'm absolutely sure it has nothing to do with WDL initrd, which works fine on all rootfs I've tried it with. I no longer really remember much about runit so tricky to track down. Anyway, it is at least 'working' with the new build script and running in w_changes=RAM2 mode which means in RAM with external upper_changes simply mounted as top read-only layer and the on media upper_changes only written to if I use rsync in a script. I'm mainly writing this because you said you had an issue with a recent build using the old scripts so if you find it hangs as mine did, try just leaving it for 10 minutes or so to see if it recovers - maybe some Void runit service has changed?

As well as pushing all the recent scripts up via git I'm planning to give a HowTo walk through on converting a downloaded Manjaro XFCE iso (around 3GB) into a WDL_manjaXFCE. For that I'll supply a skeleton initrd.gz along with modify_initrd_gz script - main process is to make a copy of the usr/lib/modules directory into the initrd.gz same position, and to number the four sfs files inside the Manjaro iso (01,02,03,04) as I illustrated in other thread. Anyway, I'll try to write that up soonish since I think it is a useful distro to play with via WDL frugal install.

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: 'successful' WDL_Void64 build test

Post by rockedge »

During the boot I think it could be an attempt to make a network connection via eth0. Some of those earlier scripts had the process included with a script in /usr/local/bin ( I think, I will have to double check but there was a script that would be started during the boot to do it.) So if WiFi then it hung if I remember until it timed out and continued to boot.

Glad to know it works still! I have a newer version of the plugin on the github page which I am using but has not been completed enough to say try it out. I am trying to build a WDL64-Void right now to have a version ironed out enough to run the ZoneMinder install script.

Also simultaneously trying to re-compile some real time kernels for Puppy Linux as well.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@wiak I commented out the auto start of wiakwifi in the plugin which solved a problem temporarily, which was occurring because wiakwifi is not yet present and I need a download location to get it and install during the build. I have started the resulting build in a Xnest instance with the mounting tool scripts, to be ab;e to use xbps-install to setup what is missing. Firefox did not install but did later...who knows why for sure? I also realize this version of plugin is not the more polished one I ended up with but seems to have disappeared and I'm using one that I will use as the base for a brand new improved version.

The build went so fast I thought it was broken, but I got it going in Xnest with typing "jwm" and it started smooth as glass. Next I will adjust the root_fs in it's uncompressed state and then I will run the second script to "WeeDog" it and make it a frugal install. Then ZM script will get tested and using the sfs layering to setup the individual components of the web server.

Screenshot(32).png
Screenshot(32).png (300.11 KiB) Viewed 830 times

WDL64-Void is running using the Puppy Linux real time kernel 5.4.70-rt40

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Small problem I have encountered before:

Code: Select all

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgtk3-nocsd.so.0' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.

Occurs a lot and floods the console. Also occurs during the build script running on Fossapup64-9.5

wiak

Post by wiak »

rockedge wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:13 pm

@wiak I commented out the auto start of wiakwifi in the plugin which solved a problem temporarily, which was occurring because wiakwifi is not yet present and I need a download location to get it and install during the build.

Though I haven't still uploaded all files to git..., wiakwifi (and wd_mount) are both available up there. By default I always now install wd_xxscripts into /usr/local/bin to avoid any potential conflicts with upstream distro repos.

Here are the commands I use in current build script to fetch wiakwifi and so on:

Code: Select all

# Install wiakwifi (can autostart on boot via /etc/profile/profile.d)
	wget -c https://gitlab.com/weedog/weedoglinux/-/raw/master/build_resources/wiakwifi -O usr/local/bin/wiakwifi
	chmod +x usr/local/bin/wiakwifi
	# Install wd_mount
	wget -c https://gitlab.com/weedog/weedoglinux/-/raw/master/build_resources/wd_mount -O usr/local/bin/wd_mount
	chmod +x usr/local/bin/wd_mount

I'm pretty sure these versions are 'latest' - I'll double check. Useful though I find wee wiakwifi, my WDL_Arch64 plans are to move to using Arch official Network Manager since it provides many other optional network connect types. Wiakwifi is always a good quick test mechanism though and easy to use.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Blog”