Bionicpup32 Pppoe connection problem

Moderator: Forum moderators

Ioan

Bionicpup32 Pppoe connection problem

Post by Ioan »

Hello
I can.t configure a Pppoe connection . I have tried to connect through Pppoe setup with my username and password ( username : internet username , eth0 , do you want link to come up on demand : no , enter DNS info here : opendns.com ,enter the secondary DNS : push enter , password , choose a firewall : 1 , accept these settings : y ) then I open " Connect now " but appear this text : ".........Timed out
/usr/sbin/pppoe-start: line 203: 30755 Terminated $Connect "$@" > /dev/null 2>&1
Press enter key to continue : " . I press enter and the window is closing and no internet . But I know that I have .
Please an advice because I don.t know what to do . I dont know nothing about Linux . I am blank .
Thank you

ozsouth

Re: Bionicpup32 Pppoe connection problem

Post by ozsouth »

@Ioan - did you try the SNS (simple network setup) option? Found either via main menu, under Setup then Internet Connection OR via a right click on the taskbar network icon, then clicking Setup networking.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

For pppoe dsl to work, /etc/ppp/resolv.conf must be an actual file
and /etc/resolv.conf must be a symlink to /etc/ppp/resolv.conf

To connect, the username and password must be exactly correct. (what the isp expects)
For example, the username might be bxxxnxnx or it might be bxxxnxnx@sympatico.ca

Read the config file, /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Ioan,

The simpler solution to getting pppoe support working is to install the fix package I posted here:
viewtopic.php?p=34016#p34016

It is also the preferred solution, which gets lost whenever the pppoe package gets updated.

Richard

Ioan

Post by Ioan »

Hello
I have tried Simple network setup but lead me to Pppoe again .
I have also tried to locate /etc/ppp/resolv.conf but didn.t found nothing . I have searched it with pFind File finder program .
I have also tried to run in Tx terminal the command rp_connect_resolv_fix but but "command not found " .
I think I will quit because this problem can be solved only by someone who knows this technical stuff and I use only a tablet
I will keep an eye .
Thank you guys !
All the best

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Ioan,

Don't give up yet. You are correct to use the PPPoE option, not SNS.

I understand that you have not changed anything related to resolv.conf. That is good.

You need only one more step before trying PPPoE. The file needs "execute" permission in order to be recognized as a command. Right-click on the "rp_connect_resolv_fix" file, find "Permissions" at the bottom of the drop-down list, click on it and then click on "Yes", to add the permission (which defaults to "execute").

Then either left-click on the file to execute it, or enter it on a command line, as you did.

Then the PPPoE networking option should work.

Richard

Ioan

Post by Ioan »

Hello Richard ,
Thank you for encourage and for not gave up on me .

I have just SOLVED the problem :
I have found on youtube :
It was a little different because the video was from 2011 .
So i went to Setup - Internet Connection Wizard - Wired or wireless LAN - Network Wizard - in the window appear a connection that should be eth0 but mine was enp5s0 - i click on the button enp5s0 - Auto DHCP - follow the steps from video (very simple )
I had internet connection but no internet in browser . So i have made a walk through forrest in my town Brasov and came with an ideea :
I have replaced eth0 with enp5s0 in Roaring Penguin PPPoe . The steps are :
Disable Firewall - right click on the green shield in bottom right - Turn off . Then :
Setup- Internet Connection wizzard - Roaring Penguin PPPoe - appears a window named PPPoe - press Initial configuration - appears a window with username : internet username , enp5s0 (instead of eth0 ), do you want link to come up on demand : no , enter DNS info here : opendns.com ,enter the secondary DNS : push enter , password , choose a firewall : 0 , accept these settings : y ) then I open " Connect now- Connected .
So happy !
I have tried to explain almost every step so any beginner can understand .
Richard i didn't tried your method because i was affraid to ruin this connection .
Thank you !
All the best !
PS : If you want to make a decision or don't know what to do , just make a walk in a park or in a forrest alone and think about that but not too much .

rerwin

Post by rerwin »

Ioan,

Thank you very much for that information. I am pleased that you got your connection working.

It appears that the problem was with knowing the correct network interface name, which the network wizard told you.

Now that you have the correct name set with PPPoE, you should not have to run the network wizard before running PPPoE.

I see now why you succeeded even without my "fix". It is needed only if you set the "DNS" value to "server", which I assume you did not do.

I think the uncertainty over the correct interface name to use should be addressed, possibly by simply having rp-pppoe list the currently available wired ethernet interfaces. I will look into that.

Richard

Ioan

Post by Ioan »

Thank you again Richard for your reply .
Yes , you are right . To have internet I have to go in Roaring Pppoe and to push Connect now .
When I don.t have internet in browser , the DNS has no values (row of numbers separated by dots ) .
I appreciate your help and informations .
All the best
Ioan

Return to “Bionic”