HP 2133 - Which Pup i could use?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

MADC1993

HP 2133 - Which Pup i could use?

Post by MADC1993 »

I've been testing 8GEEE's Atomic Puppy 2021 on my HP 2133 laptop.

it was pretty lightweight and unlike most puplets, it worked (almost) like a charm, in special, i could reduce the resolution to 800x480 while in most distros my resolution was limited to 1280x768 (which IMHO is a no go considering the laptop screen dimensions).

The only problem is that FOR SOME REASON i can not install it on my hard drive nor on my SD Card. It claims the installation is complete but no file is installed somehow.

I'd like some suggestions of which pup i could use on this little lappy, since i can NOT install it on my machine.

NOTE: I want to use it on a 32GB Sandisk MicroSD Card (Class 10) through a MicroSD to SD Adapter to use on the SD Slot.

Hardware specs:

CPU: VIA C7-M 1.2GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2
GPU: S3 Chrome9

williwaw

Re: HP 2133 - Which Pup i could use?

Post by williwaw »

the hardware seems capable. https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 265114&i=1

It claims the installation is complete but no file is installed somehow.

how are you trying to install? with a particular installer or doing a frugal by copying the files to a partitioned sd . then using grub4dos?

peterw

Post by peterw »

Some laptops do not support booting directly from a SD card.
I should think that any of the Puppy's should install and run on that laptop although I have never had a laptop with a VIA CPU.
I think it is best to do a frugal install to the hard drive. If you don't care about the data on it then use gparted to format it to EXT4 before you start the install.

MADC1993

Post by MADC1993 »

williwaw wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:31 am

the hardware seems capable. https://oldforum.puppylinux.com/viewtop ... 265114&i=1

It claims the installation is complete but no file is installed somehow.

how are you trying to install? with a particular installer or doing a frugal by copying the files to a partitioned sd . then using grub4dos?

A full installation using Puppy universal installer, integrated on the live USB.

It doesn't have GRUB4DOS or GRUB tho.

MADC1993

Post by MADC1993 »

peterw wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:48 am

Some laptops do not support booting directly from a SD card.
I should think that any of the Puppy's should install and run on that laptop although I have never had a laptop with a VIA CPU.
I think it is best to do a frugal install to the hard drive. If you don't care about the data on it then use gparted to format it to EXT4 before you start the install.

HP 2133 supports SD Card Booting thanks to the SD Card reader/writer being attached to a USB Interface, so it recognize as a USB Drive.

backi

Post by backi »

peterw wrote:

Why format the whole Hardrive ........just create a separate "smaller" but appropriate EXT4 Partition (if enough Space is left) with Gparted to install your new OS.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

A full installation using Puppy universal installer, integrated on the live USB.

It doesn't have GRUB4DOS or GRUB tho.

I assume you are saying you boot with the live install of Atomic Pup on a USB drive.
Trying to use the Universal Installer to do an install to a SD card.

do frugal installs.
Some features of Puppy only work on frugal installs. (works same as live install)

Universal Installer is really starting to have install issues.

I suggest using this installer to do the installs.
Frugalpup Installer
viewtopic.php?f=105&t=337
How to use it:
viewtopic.php?p=1887#p1887
This is info for a USB install, but same applies to any type drive.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Sorry I'm late, many things on plate of personal nature.

I've had issues with micro --> SD adapters using the SD slot in AtomicPup. Coupled with some computer brands using a 'tweaked' driver for the SD card reader, I'd recommend using a Sandisk 'stubby' usb stick. For the most part less than US$10.

Also, format the micro SD as ext3, and try that... some SanDisks don't like ext4 and have blocked Fat32 "bootability'. For Atomic Pup, only a 1Gb partition is needed. Even if you only have an 8Gb USB drive, plenty of room left. The HDD or SDcard-slot can be used for storage/retrieval.

In summary... try ext3 on the SDcard or a USB stubby, if that fails try a newer 8Gb+ USB 'stubby" (but don't go over 32Gb on these older machines). The HDD and/or SD can be used to store (not boot)... recommended is ext3 for these also.

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

MADC1993

Post by MADC1993 »

8Geee wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:46 am

Sorry I'm late, many things on plate of personal nature.

I've had issues with micro --> SD adapters using the SD slot in AtomicPup. Coupled with some computer brands using a 'tweaked' driver for the SD card reader, I'd recommend using a Sandisk 'stubby' usb stick. For the most part less than US$10.

Also, format the micro SD as ext3, and try that... some SanDisks don't like ext4 and have blocked Fat32 "bootability'. For Atomic Pup, only a 1Gb partition is needed. Even if you only have an 8Gb USB drive, plenty of room left. The HDD or SDcard-slot can be used for storage/retrieval.

In summary... try ext3 on the SDcard or a USB stubby, if that fails try a newer 8Gb+ USB 'stubby" (but don't go over 32Gb on these older machines). The HDD and/or SD can be used to store (not boot)... recommended is ext3 for these also.

Regards
8Geee

Glad to hear.
Gonna give it a try when i can.

Do you have an updated Precise ISO?

AtomicPreciseXXI doesn't work on my lappy.

Return to “Users”