saved by VNC

wiak

saved by VNC

Post by wiak »

Had to 'give up' my recently acquired development computer - an HP Elitebook Folio G1 1020 G1 with Core m vPro processor and 8GB RAM. So back to old HP Elitebook 2530p with Intel Core2duo processor and upgraded to 4GB RAM... One of my son needs machine able to run Blender and it was either give up the Folio or buy a new machine... I gave up the Folio.

However, of course, I had no intention of giving up the resource since I have everything recent stored on that machine, so VNC to the rescue again. Now the Folio automatically starts up a vncserver instance in the background for me (Papa) and currently I'm just using tigervnc viewer to use that from my old machine (per the attached screenshot - confusing... the smaller window is being sent back from the Folio, but normally I just run that fullsize and only using the old Elitebook as a thin client.

In fact I have set up the vncserver configs to cater for all four of us in the house should anyone else ever need it; all done via the magic of systemd and the likes of:

systemctl start vncserver@:3 at commandline on the Folio, the :3 being the display (have different displays allocated for each of us).
For myself I actually did: systemctl enable vncserver@:3 so that the session would start automatically on every boot.

As is, it is perfectly fine for normal usage (including my dev work) but since I also want to run the likes of Blender occasionally, I'll need to configure VirtualGL so the Folio machines fast(er) OpenGL3-capable graphics card can do all the work so to provide good frame rate on my thin client. Still to do that bit.

Previously I did similar using BionicDog64 as the server (WDL_Arch64 now) - also tigervncserver, but I used turbovnc viewer because I think that gave better performance (but will have to recheck that) and the performance was very good indeed (even though machines only connected via WIFI) such that we could all use multiplayer SuperTuxKart... with all sessions running on the server machine and the rest of us just on the old machines (which are only OpenGL2 capable and thus not themselves adequate for many later graphics intensive programs). I didn't use systemd for managing the setup last in BionicDog64 (though could have), but truth to tell systemd functionality makes all this pretty easy in comparison to the scripting I had to do before.

The only problem I'm struggling with is that maintaining four (actually five) computers in this fashion requires a fair amount of setup/configuration/maintenance on my part, which is another reason I'm sticking to exact same WDL_Arch64 install on all of them, and relying on systemd's consistent interface for managing everything.

EDIT: I must remember to update WDL_Arch64 desktop background - this is not the old rc7 version I'm running but the very latest incarnation dev version of WDL_Arch64. Yes, the clock is needing set on the old machine... the Folio is correct.

Attachments
Back2OldSystem_BUTvnc2NewOne.jpg
Back2OldSystem_BUTvnc2NewOne.jpg (59.71 KiB) Viewed 617 times

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

Return to “Blog”