G.I.M.P-portable...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

G.I.M.P-portable...

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

I've 'portabilized' the latest of aferrero2707's GIMP AppImages. By this, I mean it's now in a self-contained directory, along with scripting that keeps the config stuff within that directory, sym-linking it out to where it's expected at run-time.....along with further scripts that allow the creation of a Menu entry if required.

Sym-links are removed when you close the app. A "READ-ME" file explains how to add/remove & manage Menu entries if you want to re-locate them.

(Generally, I'm a stalwart champion of AppImages. The only thing that bugs me about them is their habit of leaving additional config files all over the place wherever they're used.....ready for the next time, along with the need to set them up fresh each time they're used in a new location. I prefer to only have to do this once, then use my personal settings in each new location instead...so the above method gets round this slightly 'untidy' aspect of my favourite run-anywhere format.)

If anyone's interested, it can be found here:-

https://mega.nz/folder/mPZniAiS#n4hZ4trb7DthSmGCgQrpew

Have fun.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ravensrest

Re: G.I.M.P-portable...

Post by ravensrest »

Thanks, Mike. It seems to work perfectly in bionicpup64 8.0 and fossapup64 6.06 right out of the box.
BS

mikewalsh

Re: G.I.M.P-portable...

Post by mikewalsh »

ravensrest wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:50 pm

Thanks, Mike. It seems to work perfectly in bionicpup64 8.0 and fossapup64 6.06 right out of the box.
BS

:thumbup:

Mike. :D

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

geo_c

...starting from menu- NEVERMIND

Post by geo_c »

Seems to bootup fine from the LAUNCH icon, but when starting from the menu entry I get this message:

Opening '/root/%U' failed: Error opening file /root/%U: No such file or directory

It could have something to do with the fact that I unloaded the SFS Gimp 2.10.18 which also had a menu entry. Now I have two entries that both fire up 2.10.25

EDIT: Nevermind! I just the read the readme. Thanks

geo_c
Old School Hipster, and Such

Return to “AppImages, Snaps and Flatpaks”