Kohjinsha PM netbook touchscreen not working correctly in any PuppyLinux versions

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

PiZZa3

Kohjinsha PM netbook touchscreen not working correctly in any PuppyLinux versions

Post by PiZZa3 »

Hi,

I am a complete newcomer to Linux. I am using the Kohjinsha PM netbook. I have tried tens of Linux distributions with this device, and PuppyLinux one of only two that have booted at all (Other being SliTaz).

System specs:
Intel Atom Z510
Intel GMA 500 graphics
512mb RAM
32 bit

The device's screen is a resistive touchscreen. This is the primary method of input into the computer as there is no trackpad or point. With all operating systems I have tried with the device (Both Windows and Linux), the cursor can be moved around the screen, and items pressed, but the cursor is always misaligned with wherever is pressed on the screen until a driver is installed, and the screen then calibrated.

When trying BionicPup, it works as described. I can click things on the screen, but the cursor is far away from wherever I am physically pressing with the stylus.

All I know is that the driver my device needs for the touchscreen to work correctly with Linux is called "eGalaxtouch". A user on another forum told me that SlackoPup has the eGalaxtouch driver.

When trying SlackoPup, the cursor acts berserk upon input. Completely unusable. I have not experienced this before with any other OS (BionicPup did not do this).

It is possible that the driver is being loaded. After installing the touchscreen driver on Windows (Which is not eGalaxtouch, instead something called "Touchside" - Maybe this exists for Linux but not sure) it needs to be calibrated before it becomes useable, so it might be the same case with Linux. I have read that a piece of software called "xinput-calibrator" can do touchscreen calibration but I do not know how to install this on Puppy Linux. If someone knows how to please say and I will try it.

I do not know what to do now. Would very much like to get PuppyLinux working on the device as everything else works fine (Sound, graphics, etc).

Thank you all in advance.
PiZZa3

Last edited by PiZZa3 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
greengeek

Re: Touchscreen not working correctly in Slacko 7.0 32 bit

Post by greengeek »

You could perhaps try Slacko 6.3.0.1 from here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/test/slacko/6301/

I know that works with some touchscreen devices - but different puppies load different drivers during boot so it is pot luck.
(That Slacko may behave differently to the slacko you tested so i reckon give it a try...)

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Hello @PiZZa3

If your touchscreen PC is a 64bit PC, most modern PUPs have touchscreen ability built-in, OOTB.

If the WoofCE builds do not work, try FATDOG (found here in the forum). They had touchscreen ability built-in for years. It is slow to boot on most 64bit PCs, but runs like a "BOLT" in the Olympics.

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

greengeek wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:30 pm

I know that works with some touchscreen devices - but different puppies load different drivers during boot so it is pot luck.
(That Slacko may behave differently to the slacko you tested so i reckon give it a try...)

Hi,

Just tested 6.3.0.1 now and have found it behaves the same as Slacko 7.0 unfortunately.

It is entirely possible that even if the needed eGalaxtouch driver is being loaded by the OS at boot, it will be unusable because there is no means to calibrate it. I have done a little bit of reading and a piece of software called "xinput-calibrator" might do the trick but I do not know how to install it. Adding this information to the OP.

Thank you for your suggestion :)

>>*EDIT* Ignore this post, check below *EDIT*<<

Last edited by PiZZa3 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Clarity wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:27 am

Hello @PiZZa3

If your touchscreen PC is a 64bit PC, most modern PUPs have touchscreen ability built-in, OOTB.

If the WoofCE builds do not work, try FATDOG (found here in the forum). They had touchscreen ability built-in for years. It is slow to boot on most 64bit PCs, but runs like a "BOLT" in the Olympics.

Hello, the device is 32 bit, my bad for not mentioning this explicitly in the OP. Adding this detail now. Thanks for your suggestion :)

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I just did a check in one of my 32 bit puppy installations for the egalaxtouch, it has egalax_ts_serial.ko touchscreen driver installed. I'm using the version with the latest kernel version 4.19.56. There are 2 other versions with older kernels (4.1.48 and 4.9.149). I downloaded and checked these, but they don't have the egalax drivers. DPup Stretch is a very good puppy release, so I would strongly recommend you give it a try.

http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=319

Edit: I just checked the Busterpup_8.0 32 bit puppy, it also has the egalax driver included. It is also on the download page where you download the stretch pup from.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

PiZZa3 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:31 pm
greengeek wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Hi,

Just tested 6.3.0.1 now and have found it behaves the same as Slacko 7.0 unfortunately.

It is entirely possible that even if the needed eGalaxtouch driver is being loaded by the OS at boot, it will be unusable because there is no means to calibrate it. I have done a little bit of reading and a piece of software called "xinput-calibrator" might do the trick but I do not know how to install it. Adding this information to the OP.

Thank you for your suggestion :)

Realised I messed up and did not try 6.3.0.1. It turns out 6.3.0.1 does not exhibit the berserk behaviour of 7.0. The cursor is misaligned with wherever is pressed as like all other operating systems (Described in OP). How can I calibrate the touchscreen now on this OS? Thanks.

Last edited by PiZZa3 on Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

For both Slacko versions.
If you can get to Applications(menu)->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Touchpad
There are settings you can adjust.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

TerryH wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:51 pm

I just did a check in one of my 32 bit puppy installations for the egalaxtouch, it has egalax_ts_serial.ko touchscreen driver installed. I'm using the version with the latest kernel version 4.19.56. There are 2 other versions with older kernels (4.1.48 and 4.9.149). I downloaded and checked these, but they don't have the egalax drivers. DPup Stretch is a very good puppy release, so I would strongly recommend you give it a try.

http://forum.puppylinux.com/viewtopic.php?f=123&t=319

Edit: I just checked the Busterpup_8.0 32 bit puppy, it also has the egalax driver included. It is also on the download page where you download the stretch pup from.

Hi, tried DPup Stretch 7.5 CE (k4.19 ISO) and BusterPup 8.0 (k4.19 ISO) from your link.

They both get to the stage during boot where text shows on screen and the word "done" shows on the right side in green (Not sure of official name for this screen), and afterwards they both got to an empty black screen where nothing happens even after waiting awhile.

When trying the "extreme video problems" boot mode, they only get to "Loading Kernel modules...", and never gets past it. Not frozen as the underscore is still flashing. Tried RAM only mode too but same black screen problem.

Thanks for your suggestions :)

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

bigpup wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:24 pm

For both Slacko versions.
If you can get to Applications(menu)->Setup->Mouse/keyboard Wizard->Touchpad
There are settings you can adjust.

Hi, using Puppy Slacko 6.3.0.1 and there are no settings for a touchscreen in the input wizard, and clicking on Touchpad it says "Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?" Behind this prompt is the "flSynclient" which is frozen when trying to click it. Clicking X or close on the prompt closes it and the flSynclient.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

OK.
Just an idea to try.
Never know until you try.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

PiZZa3 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:14 pm

It turns out 6.3.0.1 does not exhibit the berserk behaviour of 7.0. The cursor is misaligned with wherever is pressed as like all other operating systems (Described in OP). How can I calibrate the touchscreen now on this OS? Thanks.

I think i have a copy of xinput-calibrator somewhere. Will try to find it.

Any chance you could open a terminal and post the results of the following command?

lsmod

Would be interesting to see what modules have loaded.

Also - how well are you able to navigate around on this PC - do you have a usb mouse plugged in?

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

greengeek wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:13 am
PiZZa3 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:14 pm

It turns out 6.3.0.1 does not exhibit the berserk behaviour of 7.0. The cursor is misaligned with wherever is pressed as like all other operating systems (Described in OP). How can I calibrate the touchscreen now on this OS? Thanks.

I think i have a copy of xinput-calibrator somewhere. Will try to find it.

Any chance you could open a terminal and post the results of the following command?

lsmod

Would be interesting to see what modules have loaded.

Also - how well are you able to navigate around on this PC - do you have a usb mouse plugged in?

lsmod readout

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
iptable_filter 996 0
ip_tables 9235 1 iptable_filter
snd_hda_codec_realtek 39642 1
snd_hda_codec_generic 43443 1 snd_hda_codec_realtek
snd_hda_intel 28024 0
snd_pcsp 6178 0
snd_hda_codec 65386 3 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm_oss 32518 0
snd_mixer_oss 11681 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 64042 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcsp
snd_seq_dummy 843 0
snd_seq_oss 23004 0
snd_seq_midi 3880 0
snd_seq_midi_event 4256 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_rawmidi 14189 1 snd_seq_midi
battery 9791 0
snd_seq 37877 6 snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
libertas_sdio 8008 0
libertas 44654 1 libertas_sdio
btusb 14980 0
snd_seq_device 3996 5 snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_midi
cfg80211 177229 1 libertas
snd_timer 14206 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
bluetooth 211307 2 btusb
gma500_gfx 145259 2
6lowpan_iphc 5472 1 bluetooth
rfkill 7782 3 cfg80211,bluetooth
psmouse 74525 0
drm_kms_helper 30419 1 gma500_gfx
snd 42415 13 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_pcm_oss,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_hda_codec_generic,snd_hda_codec,snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_device,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcsp
drm 182913 3 drm_kms_helper,gma500_gfx
lpc_sch 2693 0
fan 1845 0
video 9980 1 gma500_gfx
ac 3290 0
#

*Edit: Manged to upload that readout from the device itself but it took awhile. Full-blown Firefox is simply too much for the system. Able to press desktop icons and the start menu with the stylus, but from there it is necessary to use the keyboard to navigate, as it is too easy to accidentally begin dragging or misclicking things unintentionally due to the misaligned cursor. Rarely need to use a mouse, only for when it would take too long to use the keyboard to navigate around a program, like spreadsheets or Firefox.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

PiZZa3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:28 am

lsmod readout

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
iptable_filter 996 0

Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping that we would be able to see the driver module that had been allocated to the touchscreen - but I don't see anything there that I would consider specific to the screen.

Would it be possible to get the contents of the text file /var/log/xorg.0.log (name may not be exactly that but see if you can find the file i mean)

It may be easiest to make a copy of that file, then rename it by adding a .gz suffix on the end, then just attach it to your next post.

(Hopefully there will be some clues in that file as to how the system currently interfaces your touchscreen)

Actually - i should also have asked - was that lsmod list from Slacko 6301 or Slacko 7?

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

greengeek wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:53 pm
PiZZa3 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:28 am

lsmod readout

# lsmod
Module Size Used by
iptable_filter 996 0

Hmmm, interesting. I was hoping that we would be able to see the driver module that had been allocated to the touchscreen - but I don't see anything there that I would consider specific to the screen.

Would it be possible to get the contents of the text file /var/log/xorg.0.log (name may not be exactly that but see if you can find the file i mean)

It may be easiest to make a copy of that file, then rename it by adding a .gz suffix on the end, then just attach it to your next post.

(Hopefully there will be some clues in that file as to how the system currently interfaces your touchscreen)

Actually - i should also have asked - was that lsmod list from Slacko 6301 or Slacko 7?

6.3.0.1, my bad, should have stated this.

Had a look for a file like xorg.0.log and sadly there was nothing in /var/log/. There were no files at all in any of the 4 folders under /var/. Made sure to click the eye to unhide hidden files too. Might the file be elsewhere than /var/ or would it only be there?

TerryH

Re: Touchscreen not working correctly in any PuppyLinux verisons

Post by TerryH »

Try in a terminal issuing a command:
dmesg | grep -i touch, it may give some information @greengeek was requesting, to check driver. Copy and paste command into terminal.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

TerryH wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:54 am

Try in a terminal issuing a command:
dmesg | grep -i touch, it may give some information @greengeek was requesting, to check driver. Copy and paste command into terminal.

Pasted that command into terminal and after pressing enter it did nothing, immediately went to the next # line in the terminal window.

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

-Changed thread title-

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

PiZZa3 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:46 am

Had a look for a file like xorg.0.log and sadly there was nothing in /var/log/. There were no files at all in any of the 4 folders under /var/. Made sure to click the eye to unhide hidden files too. Might the file be elsewhere than /var/ or would it only be there?

Definitely expected something there so not sure where else we might find some clues.

Could you try the following please?

cd /var

then:

ls
(thats an "ell" followed by "ess")

Just want to see which 4 directories you see in var.

And if /var/log exists could you also list the files in there too please?

eg:

cd/var/log

ls
I know 01micko was experimenting with non-xorgwizard functionality around this time - so it is possible that /var/log does not contain xorg log results but I hoped it would.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Slacko 6.3.0.1

That file should be there.

Slacko 6.3.0.1 was a development testing version of the 6 series Slacko.
The final release version was Slacko 6.3.2
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... -6.3.2/32/
Maybe try it. :idea:

None of those Puppy versions in the test directory are considered final versions.
They will have bugs.
May be big bugs or little bugs or just testing a new way of doing something.

All the Final Release versions of Official Puppy Linux are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/
The iso file is in the directory puppy-(name of Puppy version)

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

If we do locate a log from xorg it may contain entries such as this~;

AutoAddDevices is off - not adding device

If that is the case then I seem to recall there is a way to change xorg.conf to force AutoAddDevices true - and i think that may be necessary for touchscreens.

The change has to be locked in before boot so that may require a save file to be created first - but I am vague on this.

I can't remember the exact details sorry - i hope that someone with more xorg experience may be able to clarify this.

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

@bigpup @greengeek

Attachments
Xorg.0.log.gz
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Only found it on accident from a mis click that went to a new place containing a /var/. I think I had been looking in /local/ ( :?: :? ) before. Or it could be down to being 6.3.0.1 - either way good shout @bigpup. 6.3.0.1 runs a slightly quicker all around and with less small glitches (No placebo effect). And thanks to this forum site for being lightweight...

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

Tested this OS and it works just as all other operating systems I have tried on the device do (Described in OP) unfortunately.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

PiZZa3, I don't recall if you said you could use (or had tried) a USB mouse with your netbook? Not that it's a direct solution to the problem at hand, but at least easier to work on.

re. the browser slowdown and size problem, a netbook this old will have slow USB and running puppy off of thumbdrive and not copied to ram will be quite slow by comparison. If you are running direct from a drive rather than RAM, a full install on SSD would be much faster (though not ideal -- frugal installs are generally preferred, but then you are again using ram.)

(btw, when I first saw your nick, I thought it might be the return of pizzasgood after many years, but that would have more likely been a thread about xorg touchscreen solutions!)

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

PiZZa3

Post by PiZZa3 »

vtpup wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:42 pm

PiZZa3, I don't recall if you said you could use (or had tried) a USB mouse with your tablet? Not that it's a direct solution to the problem at hand, but at least easier to work on.

(btw, when I first saw your nick, I thought it might be the return of pizzasgood after many years, but that would have more likely been a thread about xorg touchscreen solutions!)

Hi. My answer to this is easily missed under the readout of lsmod. Rarely need to use a mouse, and it is not much quicker either usually making using the device inconvenient, but won't get into that.

Will add that I have probably failed to make it clear exactly what the device is in the OP. It is not a tablet as such, but a handheld MID, like a tiny laptop.

As opposed to using your fingers to press things on the screen, you need to use a stylus because it is a resistive touchscreen since a capacitive touchscreen like found on smartphones would be too difficult to use with the screen only being 4.8" across and most x86 operating systems being ill-suited for normal touchscreen.

The problem I am having with using Linux on the device is that the cursor on screen is misaligned with wherever is pressed with the stylus. It is the same in Windows until a driver is installed and then the screen calibrated.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Sorry for missing your mention of a mouse. I did did look up your netbook earlier and corrected my post above, plus added a bit, but that crossed yours above.

Just one more question -- also related to your search for a fast enough small browser.... are you testing the various Puppies as live ISO's, frugal installs or full installs and on what media, USB, or SSD? These will all have quite differing effects on speed and memory usage, as will the NOCOPY switch.

Because you said somewhere earlier that you didn't want to install a version of Puppy until you had the mouse calibration problem fixed, I have an idea that you might not know the difference between a frugal install and a full install. And possibly that it might not also be clear how Puppy runs differently copied into memory, or run directly from a drive.

If these differences are all clear, apologies!

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

what happens if you just type flsynclient in the terminal? Does it still freeze behind an error message?

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Searching for answer to your touch screen problems.
I keep seeing reference to a configuration setup for the eGalaxtouch.
Not sure if Puppy Linux would or would not have this.

If the eGalaxtouch driver is being loaded and used.

See if you can find this:

Run /usr/local/eGalaxTouch32/EgalaxTouch : do configuration and calibration

Return to “Beginners Help”