(Raspberry pi zero) Usable browser with java script support?

Moderator: Forum moderators

lizardidi

(Raspberry pi zero) Usable browser with java script support?

Post by lizardidi »

I forgot to mention this issue when i first use raspup. I unable to launch vivaldi.sfs made using the sfs downloader. I tried to launch vivaldi-stable as root, but what i got was 'segmentation fault' error. I recalled tried to download vivaldi.sfs as 'spot' too, but still failed to launch vivaldi.

Chromium on the other hand, can be launched successfully, but is too slow and not usable. My experience told me that on raspbian, chromium is too slow and unusable too. But on rapberry pi zero, only dietpi able to run chromium, of course, do not expect to watch youtube videos in browser mode, for lite browsing it is not fast, but still usable and able to load pages with heavy java script with satisfactory time.

Below is the spec:
Board: Raspberry pi zero
Package: latest Vivaldi v4.0.sfs made with builtin tools (Menu > Setup > Download System SFS Files > Select Vivaldi > Select root)

Error code: Segmentation fault

Last edited by lizardidi on Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Aristos

Re: Vivaldi browser startup failed - segmentation fault

Post by Aristos »

I think you pushing it to hard in terms of ram and (mainly) cpu.After all is a ~200mA (max)device.

lizardidi

Re: Vivaldi browser startup failed - segmentation fault

Post by lizardidi »

Aristos wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:13 am

I think you pushing it to hard in terms of ram and (mainly) cpu.After all is a ~200mA (max)device.

indeed, but it is a lot of fun trying to figure out the limits of this tiny board.

*update: using a freshly installed raspup on pi zero, i loaded chromium.sfs, created chromium profile, set to no script, no app running in background, save then shutdown. the chromium is very laggy during first launch session. however, during second launch and onwards, chromium seemed to be more responsive. i managed to achieved faster browsing speed compared to chromium on dietpi using the same sd card. Without java script, https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/ can be fully loaded under 22 seconds, and 34 seconds when loaded with java scripts, which i think is still usable.

in addition, set the cpu governor to performance will help
to improve the performance.

refer this thread to set cpu governor from 'powersave' (default) to 'performance' :
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 141&t=2260

Return to “Raspbian Buster”