Can puppy save my new computer? How?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

hundido

Can puppy save my new computer? How?

Post by hundido »

I got a new computer that came with Kubuntu installed on it. A few weeks ago, I tried to install some programs. They didn't work, so I uninstalled them. Something went wrong, and I clicked to make a bug report. That froze, so I think I hard powered of the computer. Then it said I'd used the entire disk space! I don't know what happened. On another system, I saw a bug report download an enormous amount of data. So maybe that. But there's no disk space on this computer now. I tried to reboot it. It powered on, but had a black screen where I could just move the mouse. Last time I booted it without choosing puppy, it told me to insert installation media, press any key, and when I inserted the puppy stick and pressed a few keys, nothing happened. I ended up powering off the computer. I restarted it with puppy, and now I'm writing from that puppy.

I'd like to install puppy on this computer without destroying any of my files on this computer. How can I do that with a disk that's already full? What would I look for to delete to make space?

My system information:

-Computer-
Processor : 16x AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
Memory : 65874MB (1302MB used)
Machine Type : Physical machine
Operating System : Slacko64 Puppy - 8.2.1
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 24 Jun 2021 10:23:08 PM AKDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : AMD Radeon RX 6800 (SIENNA_CICHLID, DRM 3.40.0, 5.10.0, LLVM 12.0.0)
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Audio Devices-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
Power Button
Power Button
Microsoft Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse v2.0
HID 0566:3107
HID 0566:3107 Consumer Control
HID 0566:3107 System Control
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 3=
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 7=
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 8=
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 9=
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 10=
HDA ATI HDMI HDMI/DP,pcm : 11=
HD-Audio Generic Front Mic
HD-Audio Generic Rear Mic
HD-Audio Generic Line
HD-Audio Generic Line Out Front
HD-Audio Generic Line Out Surround
HD-Audio Generic Line Out CLFE
HD-Audio Generic Front Headphone
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA ADATA SU760
AI Mass Storage

-Mounted File Systems-
/dev/sdb2 /initrd/mnt/dev_save 6.15 % (53.6 GiB of 57.1 GiB)
tmpfs /initrd/mnt/tmpfs 1.59 % (31.4 GiB of 31.9 GiB)
unionfs / 1.59 % (31.4 GiB of 31.9 GiB)
/dev/loop0 /initrd/pup_ro2 100.00 % (0.0 B of 423.0 MiB)
/dev/loop1 /initrd/pup_f 100.00 % (0.0 B of 52.0 MiB)
/dev/loop2 /initrd/pup_z 100.00 % (0.0 B of 36.0 MiB)
/dev/loop3 /initrd/pup_y 100.00 % (0.0 B of 512.0 KiB)
devtmpfs /dev 0.00 % (31.4 GiB of 31.4 GiB)
shmfs /dev/shm 0.00 % (15.4 GiB of 15.4 GiB)

What do I do to fix/save this computer?

sonny

Re: Can puppy save my new computer? How?

Post by sonny »

If I were you, I'd get another physical media (SSD or HDD) for Puppy Linux as the operating system and apps, then leave the Kubuntu's media as the data storage.
Why do you want to share the same bed with a "sick" person?
That's just my opinion btw.

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

What sort of data might you wish to save ?

A very short answer...You could make a LIVE USB with eg Kubuntu or Fossapup64 on it, boot (disable secure boot) and find/transfer data to another drive.

You could also use Kubuntu or Fossapup64 to make a backup of the problem drive (not sure why you might want to). Then, using the LIVE USB, reinstall Kubuntu, or install Fossapup64 frugally using Frugalpup.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

This is the computer with 2 terabyte drives? How much data do you need to recover? I'm presuming you wish to reinstall the kubuntu.

when you are booted into puppy on the USB, can you mount the drives? (click on the icon in the lower left and see some filesystems in rox?)

hundido

Post by hundido »

I transferred a bunch of files from my old computer to my new computer. It's a bunch of documents, videos, pictures and stuff. I can mount the drive where my videos and files are copied (nvme0n1p2), and I can even use puppy to play my videos.

When I click the drives:

nvme0n1p1: One folder labeled "EFI"
nvme0n1p2: Looks like a linux file system. Too much to list unless I really need to. This is where I can click "home" and access my files
nvme1o1p1: Two folders: $RECYCLE.-BIN and System Volume Information
sda1: Looks like the same two folders: $RECYCLE.-BIN and System Volume Information

I didn't erase anything from my old computer, so it is all already backed up. I didn't finish the file copying. My usb, or something, corrupted the files if I tried to copy too many at once.

I'm pretty sure the disk is full because of data that isn't really mine because of what I explained in the 1st post. How do I figure out which drive is the problem drive? If the bug report downloaded a bunch of data, can I use puppy to find and delete that?

I don't care about keeping Kubuntu. I'm enjoying the education more than the original operating system. I really like puppy so far. Is there any advantage to having puppy on an internal drive? Faster data stuff? I'd like to fix the computer well enough to boot an use it without needing a usb drive.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

I'd like to install puppy on this computer without destroying any of my files on this computer. How can I do that with a disk that's already full? What would I look for to delete to make space?

Puppy seems to be installed on maybe a 64G usb flash drive.
Puppy should run perfectly well like that. There really is no need to install Puppy on the hard drive, at this time. it won't run any better.

You could try mounting the hard drive read only.
Open a text terminal by clicking the console icon on the desktop.
Type fdisk -l
The partition with the largest size is probably the one you want.
If it is an ext2/3/4 fie system, you could mount it by typing mount-FULL -r /dev/sda1 /mnt/data
and then look in the file system to see what is there. Of course, use the correct partition name if it is not /dev/sda1

Do you have MS Windows installed? Is the file system NTFS? If it's a Linux file system, did it mount?

If you see anything that you want to copy from the hard drive, you could copy files from the hard drive to, for example, a 4TiB usb drive.

You could look at what is taking up the most space on the drive using gdmap

You could type du -h /mnt/data/ | sort -hk1 to see what dirs (folders) are taking up the most space.

It's possible that some or most of the space being used in the file system is space that might be recoverable by repairing the file system,
something like fsck /dev/sda1 if the partition is /dev/sda1.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

nvme0n1p2: Looks like a linux file system. Too much to list unless I really need to. This is where I can click "home" and access my files

It sounds like Puppy is automatically mounting /dev/nvme0n1p2
Which presumably is where the filled up drive is (/mnt/home/)

But in your first post it says /dev/sdb2 /initrd/mnt/dev_save 6.15 % (53.6 GiB of 57.1 GiB)
Which sounds like a usb flash drive.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

from the redshift thread, I see this which I am guessing is your kubuntu install. I am going to assume your home directory is on the second partition which is 1023.5 gigs ext4? seems fine to leave this disk formatted as is. An idea you might consider would be to remove the boot flag and esp flag with gparted should you wish to boot from a new install on an other disk, (which you would then need to make bootable)

you can delete uneeded stuff from your broken kubunto disk as the need arises to make more room in your home directory. I assume there is unused space left? see how full the ext4 partition is. does fossa have partview or pmount you could take a shot of?

Code: Select all

Model: Unknown (unknown)
Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 1024GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt
Disk Flags: 

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name                  Flags
 1      1049kB  538MB   537MB   fat32        EFI System Partition  boot, esp
 2      538MB   1024GB  1024GB  ext4

look thru the nvme1o1p1: Two folders: $RECYCLE.-BIN and System Volume Information to see if there is anything worth saving, likewise the sda adata 1024 gig ssd??

I would be inclined to experiment with puppys or whatevers on the usbs until you have a better idea of what you might want to do with the other internal disk/disks. you can always partition it , install a bootloader and puppys. puppy might boot a little faster from the internal disc, but once it is loaded into your memory, its going to be plenty fast.

should you make a few frugal installs on the second internal disk, and later decide you want that disc partitioned differently, you can always backup your savefolder to the other disk, reinstall your frugal puppys, and move your saves to their desired location

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Last time I booted it without choosing puppy, it told me to insert installation media, press any key

That is the Kubuntu install telling you to insert it's install media, so it can run it's repair program, to fix Kubuntu.
If you did not get install disk with computer or make a repair disk.
Go to the computers web site and see what they provide.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

hundido

Post by hundido »

Thank you, everyone, for your answers.

I am currently running puppy linux from a usb drive.

I think the direction I want to go is to make this a puppy linux computer.

I have all my data on my other computer, which now connects to the internet(thankful success!). So I don't need to worry about saving it from this machine anymore, but I would like to put it back on here in a more orderly way, not in a broken system.

Please tell me if this is a good plan:

Figure out what the drives are. I have to read the posts again and boot into Fossapup to take that photo. I have a lot to learn here.

Would it make sense to format a drive to some kind of data storage, and save all of my data there, safe from the need to reformat an operating system I messed up? I could then use a different drive to learn how to install a boot loader and different puppies?

hundido

Post by hundido »

This computer came with Kubuntu installed. I didn't do the install. I've installed OSes on other computers that only had one internal drive before, but I'm a little confused by the drives on this computer.

hundido

Post by hundido »

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (81 KiB) Viewed 1201 times

@williwaw, here's the requested pmount picture. I decided the direction I want to go is to abandon Kubuntu and to use this computer as a puppy linux system.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

hundido wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:49 am

I have all my data on my other computer, which now connects to the internet(thankful success!). So I don't need to worry about saving it from this machine anymore, but I would like to put it back on here in a more orderly way, not in a broken system.

Figure out what the drives are. I have to read the posts again and boot into Fossapup to take that photo. I have a lot to learn here.

Would it make sense to format a drive to some kind of data storage, and save all of my data there, safe from the need to reformat an operating system I messed up? I could then use a different drive to learn how to install a boot loader and different puppies?

I came from Mint XFCE and I also still use Ubuntu MATE.

Puppy installation utilities are better than Mint in my opinion - Quickpet, the Puppy Package Manager, as well as the SFS Load and standalone options.

The only reason I use MATE is I like the environment - inefficient, but luxurious.

I would keep running Puppy from the USB drive and sort out your internal mess separately. How you do that is subjective. It looks like you might need to backup data, but you don't need Kubuntu.

Puppy doesn't need the internal HD. If it is the ONLY os you want, it doesn't hurt, but I would not recommend committing (changing your existing HD boot) until you know with high certainty what you want.

One of the great advantages of Puppy is you don't have to change your existing system to use it.

We try to customize before we know what we're doing. Learning demands trials and mistakes, but it is a heck-of-a lot easier when we know what we're doing in advance.

Once you get used to booting Puppy how you want to fix your system should become more obvious.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

If you are ready to change your internal HD bootloader, installing Puppy is easy.

The app is Puppy Installer:

install.png
install.png (27.77 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

This is the XFCE version but it's the same program.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (45.56 KiB) Viewed 1199 times

easy peasy

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

hundido wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:49 am

Thank you, everyone, for your answers.

You can install puppy to an onboard drive with a frugal install. Frugal is actually our primary way to install to disc, (the so called full install being depreciated except for special cases.)

Every puppy/dog/easy etc has their own tools/installers for making installs easier, but not all tools install in the same way.

Alternately, the basic steps for manually creating a frugal install without using any installer program, are

1. partitioning the disk
2. copying over the files from expanded image
3. installing a bootloader and being willing to edit the bootloader configuration text file.

Since you are partitioning some of your discs anyways, you are most of the way home and I would undertake the
effort to learn the other two steps of the manual method, this way you do not risk the chance of an installer doing something unintended, now or in the future.

Partitioning the storage disk.
it does not need its own boot loader if used just for storage, but if you wanted to reserve the possibility of making an install on it later, then a small 1G? fat32 partition at the beginning of the drive could save you headaches later.
the other three partitions could be ext2, ext3 or ext4. Considerations about what file systems to format on the other three depend on what you intend to store on the drive. Static things like documents or music? Movies? Databases applications?
The tool to accomplish partitioning is gparted, which can be run from your fossa usb. you could practice learning gparted on a spare usb. when partitionong, you do not have to completely allocate all the space at this time, so you could leave some of the disk unused/unformatted. If you choose a disc that previously had an OS installed on it, then I would try to wipe any remaining partition tables from it, the concern here being a GPT table at the end of a disk that my cause problems later, should you wish to boot something from the storage disk.

Partitioning a different disk for the OS.
It will be easy to keep multiple frugal installs on a single disk if you know how to make those installs manually. Once again, I would completely wipe any gpt partition table present at the end of the disk, and format a small fat32 as the first partition. This small fat32 need not be very big, but if it were to be at least 2G you should be ok with size in the future. Normally one would have a swap partition, but with 64G memory and the ability to create more partitions later, I would not worry about a swap at this time. So in addition to the initial fat32 you will need at least one ext type to keep your puppies on. You might consider ext4 for this partition.

copying over the files from an expanded image..........

Choosing and installing a bootloader.
Boot loaders can be changed/updated if need arises without disturbing the frugals. Once again, the installing of a boot loader can be practiced on a spare usb.

should you wish to learn the manual frugal install steps on a spare usb, a new topic would be in order........I could start a new topic if you wish.

baldronicus

Post by baldronicus »

Hi @hundido . I don't know much about Kubuntu, or UEFI, or your situation, but some things seem a bit confusing. Hence, there's some more questions. I realise you are thinking of just going with Puppy, but it might be handy if you can get Kubuntu running again (even if only out of interest).

1. Are all the drives still set-up the same way as those who did the installation had them?

2. Do you know if the installers would normally just deal with installing Windows, with Kubuntu as an option? Or would they normally use Linux distros?

3. The reasons for asking are that the exfat partitions on sda1 (the Adata SU760) and nvme1n1p1 (the T-CREATE....) seem confusing, unless they are the default filesystems for the devices. I thought that, maybe, T-CREATE... might have a copy of Kubuntu that you could use for recovery, but you indicate that it is empty apart from the two filesystem type files. The T-CREAT... name gives the impression that it might be part of a default set-up for installing something (Windows?), but I could easily be very wrong.

4. Using the live Puppy can you check /etc/fstab in Kubuntu to see if these filesystems are actually being mounted in Kubuntu at boot? At the moment I get the impression that the storage on these devices may not be available to you under the Kubuntu set up.

5. Again, I am only guessing, but I would imagine that the bug report files might be in /tmp or, perhaps, /var (only a guess).

6. Would the installers have provided a copy of Kubuntu on removable media as a recovery option? Would you recall what version of Kubuntu was installed (although you might be able to check that using Puppy).

7. I presume that Kubuntu would have been installed under a UEFI environment. Would you, at any stage of the troubleshooting etc. have changed your UEFI set-up to use the CSM mode?
The reason for asking is that, as Bigpup has suggested, the message regarding installing the installation media, could relate to the operating system and it recognising a need for recovery, or it could be that the UEFI/BIOS cannot find any boot device. If Kubuntu was installed under UEFI only mode, Grub2 would probably have installed it's files to the ESP partition, not the MBR. If the system is now in CSM mode it could be looking for the boot files in the MBR. Again, this is a bit of a guess.

I don't know if any of this will be of any help, and I am probably just getting in the way of those who know what they are doing, but I had to ask.

Thanks.

hundido

Post by hundido »

@williwaw

1. partitioning the disk
2. copying over the files from expanded image
3. installing a bootloader and being willing to edit the bootloader configuration text file.

Since you are partitioning some of your discs anyways, you are most of the way home and I would undertake the
effort to learn the other two steps of the manual method,

I definitely want to learn to do this.

the other three partitions could be ext2, ext3 or ext4. Considerations about what file systems to format on the other three depend on what you intend to store on the drive. Static things like documents or music? Movies? Databases applications?

After successfully destroying at least 3 OSes by using their own features inside of them, I definitely want a storage only drive that won't be affected by my, um, amazing talent at beta testing OSes until they destroy themselves.

I have a bunch of documents I've wrote, scans of paperwork things, and old books I downloaded. I have a small music collection and a small film collection. I might want to store some application files, like the portable redshift, on my storage drive. I don't really understand the differences or advantages/disadvantages between ext2, 3, and 4, and would be grateful for guidance on what to use, as well as which drive I should choose for the storage drive.

should you wish to learn the manual frugal install steps on a spare usb, a new topic would be in order........I could start a new topic if you wish.

Yes, please.

Dear everyone else, I will respond soon, have to do some stuff.

hundido

Post by hundido »

@JASpup

One of the great advantages of Puppy is you don't have to change your existing system to use it.

We try to customize before we know what we're doing. Learning demands trials and mistakes, but it is a heck-of-a lot easier when we know what we're doing in advance.

Thanks for this and your other good advice.

@baldronicus I think I just want to abandon Kubuntu and stick with Puppy. There's lots of reasons. I'm actually really happy Kubuntu broke on me and I ended up here. Puppy is so interesting. But I like to try to satisfy curiosity, so here goes:

1. Are all the drives still set-up the same way as those who did the installation had them?

Unless I accidentally choose one of them for a pup save when I couldn't figure out how to make that work, yes.

2. Do you know if the installers would normally just deal with installing Windows, with Kubuntu as an option? Or would they normally use Linux distros?

Someone custom built this computer and I don't know their usual. I don't really understand what I have.

3. I don't know

4. Edited. I just reread what that said. Is a UUID not something you want to put on the internet?

6. No, but it's okay. I don't want it back anymore. It was 21.04, I think.

7. It's back to flashing the word "Kubuntu" and then taking me to a black screen with a mouse cursor that I can move, but nothing I can click. Then I hard power off and boot into puppy. But no worries. It's a puppy linux computer now.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

hundido,

I am working on a new thread, but if you don't mind continuing here for a bit....

Since the status/history of your disks are unknown, lets find out where to start
boot into your machine with the fossapup usb and without mounting any of the onboard partitions,

type (run)

fdisk -l    

in a terminal. (thats a small letter ell.) Paste the output please

have you decided which disk to use for storage and which to use for your OS?

ext 2 had applications that kept it alive for a few tears past its prime for use with earlier flash memory
ext 3 and 4 are journaling filesystems
ext3 is fine for most uses, ext4, newer, comes into it's own with larger disks and some encryption scenarios. No reason not to go with ext4 as far as I know

hundido

Post by hundido »

root# fdisk -l
Disk /dev/ram0: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes

Disk /dev/ram1: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram2: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram3: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram4: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram5: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram6: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram7: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram8: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram9: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram10: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram11: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram12: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram13: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram14: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/ram15: 13.51 MiB, 14155776 bytes, 27648 sectors

Disk /dev/loop0: 96.52 MiB, 101199872 bytes, 197656 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk /dev/loop1: 39.27 MiB, 41168896 bytes, 80408 sectors

Disk /dev/loop2: 26.68 MiB, 27963392 bytes, 54616 sectors

Disk /dev/loop3: 228.11 MiB, 239190016 bytes, 467168 sectors

Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: T-CREATE TM8FPE001T
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x3ca54045

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
/dev/nvme1n1p1 2048 2000406527 2000404480 953.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: F0848E2E-5A81-4EA9-9A9B-FED913D6F7E1

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2 1050624 2000408575 1999357952 953.4G Linux filesystem

Disk /dev/sda: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: ADATA SU760
Disk identifier: 0x3ca54044

/dev/sda1 2048 2000406527 2000404480 953.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/sdb: 57.31 GiB, 61530439680 bytes, 120176640 sectors
Disk model: USB Flash Drive
Disk identifier: 0xc278a26d

/dev/sdb1 * 2048 616447 614400 300M b W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb2 616448 120176639 119560192 57G 83 Linux

have you decided which disk to use for storage and which to use for your OS?

no, I'm confused by all of this. I think it makes sense to start with a storage disk, and run puppy from a usb for awhile, to do what you and another suggested and learn how to do better installs on a usb, and then to pick a disk to make bootable a little later. Is that a good plan? Which disk do you think I should make into a storage disk?

baldronicus

Post by baldronicus »

Hi @hundido. Apologies, I did get a bit carried away. It's good that you are sure which way you want to proceed. I'll get out of the way, so that Williwaw can help more cleanly (and more effectively than I ever would). Thanks.

[Edit- Re the UUID, yeah, probably best not to go that far with the info.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

Ok, the pertinent part of your output is reproduced here. BTW terminal output can sometimes be read easier if you paste it in a "code block" (you select the text and click on the </> button above)

Disk /dev/nvme1n1: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: T-CREATE TM8FPE001T
Disk identifier: 0x3ca54045

/dev/nvme1n1p1 2048 2000406527 2000404480 953.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

Disk /dev/nvme0n1: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: SPCC M.2 PCIe SSD
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: F0848E2E-5A81-4EA9-9A9B-FED913D6F7E1

Device Start End Sectors Size Type
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 1050623 1048576 512M EFI System
/dev/nvme0n1p2 1050624 2000408575 1999357952 953.4G Linux filesystem

Disk /dev/sda: 953.89 GiB, 1024209543168 bytes, 2000409264 sectors
Disk model: ADATA SU760
Disk identifier: 0x3ca54044

/dev/sda1 2048 2000406527 2000404480 953.9G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

some of my recommendations for disk selection are quite arbitrary, but I will mention them fwiw.

I would consider partitioning the sda ADATA ssd for storage, if only for the ease of removing it from the computer should you want to use a sata cable to back it up or copy it to another machine.

I would choose the /dev/nvme1n1 T-CREATE TM8FPE001T to put the OS on

both these disks have msdos partition tables of the same kind as we will remake, avoiding having to fool with removing the gpt table leftover from the Kubuntu install at this time.

For the storage drive..

1. make sure sda is unmounted, that is you have not clicked on any sda icon in the lower left of the screen

when you bring up gparted the initial dialog will ask which disk you would like to work on. choose sda so that the other disks are not available.

2. at the top, choose device > create partition table > msdos should be the default apply

3. you can create up to 4 primary partitions. Once you copy a lot of data to the disk, it might be impractical or impossible to reconsider your choice of partitions. For this reason I would make a fat32 partition initially of a few GB size. you do not have to put anything on it or make it bootable at this point. you can divvy the remaining 954 gb into three other ext4 partitions or just make one now and leave some of the disk unallocated. How you split up your drive for storage is just a matter of convenience for you.

https://gparted.org/why-partition.php

For the manual frugal install of an OS on a USB drive, do the same as above with a 1 gb fat32 partition followed by a larger ext4. Download your desired puppy iso to a nearby location, there will be a few extra steps I can spec after you mention which puppy/dog/easy/etc?

Last edited by williwaw on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Hello hundido. If do not take into account all sorts of bootloaders, how about the chipset, all devices are recognized in Menu>>System>>Pup-SysInfo? Interested in Fossapup. I want to try some Ryzen.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

hundido

Post by hundido »

I want to make sure I understand what things are before I delete them. There logically must be the boot menu that I select puppy from somewhere on this computer, right? I want to be so careful not to delete it.

Sorry to ask more questions, but for the sake of understanding:

Under
sda1 opens a file with $RECYCLE.-BIN and System Volume information.

$RECYCLE.-BIN contains only one file, desktop.ini

Clicking desktop.ini opens a file in Geany
It says

[.ShellClassInfo]
CLSID={645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-8964

I'm not sure if code is the correct formatting for that, but it's numbered lines. What is that? What does it mean? What does it do? I looked it up online and found numerous types of CLSIDs. Mostly, will it affect my computer's ability to boot puppy if I delete it?

System Volume Information contains two files that have gears for their icons.

They are:

IndexerVolumeGuid and WPSettings-.dat

When I click them, a black box flashes around them and nothing else visible happens.

What are those? Same big question, will I erase the boot menu where I select puppy linux if I delete that?

Thank you for your help,

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

the files you mentioned are windows files, remnants from a previous install?

if you are booting your puppy USB, everything needed is on the USB

hundido

Post by hundido »

It may have had Windows before. I don't know.

I'm still working on the courage and knowledge to create a storage drive. If those are remnants of an old windows install, and Puppy won't need anything there to boot the computer, then sda1 is a good choice for the storage drive, I agree. Making a few gigabyte fat32 partition makes sense.

I'm trying to learn enough about partitioning to decide whether 1 partition or 3 other partitions would make more sense, and if I should partition the whole disk as ext4 after the few gb fat32 partition. I don't know enough to know what is the right choice. If I were to make a 5 gigabyte fat32 partition, and partition the rest of the disk as ext4, is that a decision I would probably not regret later?

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

hundido wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:08 am

If I were to make a 5 gigabyte fat32 partition, and partition the rest of the disk as ext4, is that a decision I would probably not regret later?

It depends what big save file you will need (what apps you will install). Puppy himself is small, about 0.5G with devx. So rest of the 5G partition could be used for the save file. But if you will want to try other Puppy flavors or other linuxes (like a person called distrohopper) it could be not enough. I myself have 10G for 8 systems (a few Puppys, Porteus and Slax) and rest of HD is for data.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

hundido,

partitions, once made, can be modified with gparted, but you can run into issues. for instance, if you made 4 partitions, and later decided you needed one with different file type, you would have to copy/move data out of the one to be deleted in order to delete one and remake it with a new files system. when hard drives were much smaller, life was worse, and you could find much advice on line about such things.

I only suggested an initial fat32 as the first partition because it would be hard to create later as the first partition. More modern puppies and other linuxes are moving/have moved to a UFEI bootloader which requires a fat32 partition sometimes located as the first partition. you do not have to make the fat32 partition "bootable" at this time.

you can make the fat32 5gG and can partition the rest ext4. or alternately, if for instance, alls you have to store is 400G of data now, you could make the ext4 500G (some extra room on a partition is always recommended), and leave the rest of the disk unallocated. Should you need more storage space later, it would be easy to grow the 500G into the unallocated space with gparted, or create additional partitions later. (shrinking and moving partitions is more complicated)

All this is just a way to leave options open for the future , but basically your plan for two partitions looks fine from here.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I agree. Most newer systems require the first partition to be FAT32, since this is what the UEFI specifications demand for the boot-loader.

I have a 1 TB primary drive. The first partition is only 256 MB FAT32; this is heaps for the bootloader. I then have two ext3 partitions; one is 350 GB - this is where all Puppies live, with tons of space for more in the future. The other is around 500 GB; this is where all my Puppy software lives; portable apps, AppImages, all my important packages & installers, anything I happen to be working on.

The secondary drive is 3 TB - this was ripped out of a Seagate Expansion 3 TB 'desktop' drive. This is a bog-standard 3.5" Barracuda drive, which was jammed into a fancy plastic case along with a SATA-to-USB3 interface. It runs far better in the tower, connected directly to a SATA3 port on the mobo.

This is my 'personal data' drive.....formatted to a 1 TB partition & a 1.5 TB second partition. All my documents, downloads, videos, music, pictures/images, etc., live here.....with every directory sym-linked into Puppy at appropriate points....mostly /root. This way, nothing occupies the 'save', yet as far as Puppy's concerned everything is there & accessible. I've probably got 300 GB+ of videos, alone.

--------------------------------

To conclude; your proposed set-up sounds fine.....though I'd go with ext3 rather than ext4. Ext4 & 64-bit Puppies don't, apparently, play nice together (but I can't speak from experience. Never used ext4 with Puppy; only with mainstream distros during my "distro-hopping" phase, before I settled down wi' Pup.)

The FAT32 partition can be quite small, since this is only really needed for the boot-loader. You can put each Puppy in a separate directory on the second partition, then the bootloader points here for finding the Puppy files at boot time.

This is the way many of us do it.

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

williwaw wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:09 pm

. you do not have to make the fat32 partition "bootable" at this time.

In a UEFI system, this concept does not exist.

Return to “Beginners Help”