Puppy vs amazon: Is “Puppy in a USB” Patently Absurd?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

sonny

Puppy vs amazon: Is “Puppy in a USB” Patently Absurd?

Post by sonny »

Dear people at the kennels:

Please read this article and lemme hear your woof …

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes ... tents.html

I'm dying to see a "Store" link replacing "Donations" from the kennels.

That's where I want to see Puppy in the next three years: becoming more impactful to the greater good beyond the kennels.

In reference to:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3372

PuppyUSB.png
PuppyUSB.png (444.04 KiB) Viewed 805 times
JASpup

Re: Puppy vs amazon: Is “Puppy in a USB” Patently Absurd?

Post by JASpup »

My non-political woof is I'm not smart to create a Google, Apple, or Microsoft (I know some here are), but I could have started Amazon or Facebook.

[ Those 5 valued over $1 trillion last review. ]

I believe the endeavor motive reflects the intelligence of someone thinking 1-click is something to patent, not that Bill hasn't pulled it.

Puppy USB would get a go from me, as would official apparel like mugs & t-shirts, & Ubuntu's trick of gently including the store initial boot.

Swag would be a hassle across oceans without setting something up that pays for itself, but there appears to be a model for it.

Ultimately you would want to keep a new trial around, and the key to that would be my mantra of user-friendliness.

This "You have to be a trained programmer or well after the first standard deviation IQ to even use the distribution to browse" is for, well, a cult.

Cultural pluralism is another key. Doninance in the realm is claimed by knowledge sharing and creation.

We want to be what we are, but generic and non-threatening is the route for support and popularity.

I can't be generic but pride on non-threatening to innocents and for my own self-preservation. My country is on a gun buying spree.

There's more, like explicit requests and my flavors refrain, but I don't want to speal far and away from anyone's interest.

I think the subject fits an off-topic forum if I've got the intention.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

sonny

Post by sonny »

Thanks, JAS!
Do you think patent is a prerequisite for us to offer "Puppy in a USB"?

sonny

Post by sonny »

JASpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:00 am

My non-political woof is I'm not smart to create a Google, Apple, or Microsoft (I know some here are), but I could have started Amazon or Facebook.

[ Those 5 valued over $1 trillion last review. ]

I believe the endeavor motive reflects the intelligence of someone thinking 1-click is something to patent, not that Bill hasn't pulled it.

Puppy USB would get a go from me, as would official apparel like mugs & t-shirts, & Ubuntu's trick of gently including the store initial boot.

Swag would be a hassle across oceans without setting something up that pays for itself, but there appears to be a model for it.

Ultimately you would want to keep a new trial around, and the key to that would be my mantra of user-friendliness.

This "You have to be a trained programmer or well after the first standard deviation IQ to even use the distribution to browse" is for, well, a cult.

Cultural pluralism is another key. Doninance in the realm is claimed by knowledge sharing and creation.

We want to be what we are, but generic and non-threatening is the route for support and popularity.

I can't be generic but pride on non-threatening to innocents and for my own self-preservation. My country is on a gun buying spree.

There's more, like explicit requests and my flavors refrain, but I don't want to speal far and away from anyone's interest.

I think the subject fits an off-topic forum if I've got the intention.

Attachments
USB-Dupe.jpg
USB-Dupe.jpg (26.79 KiB) Viewed 766 times
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

sonny wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:27 am

Thanks, JAS!
Do you think patent is a prerequisite for us to offer "Puppy in a USB"?

One of the UK Mikes is a lawyer if I'm not mistaking. Walsh?

I would guess not.

Media Mail in the U.S. wasn't too expensive though I haven't used it in years.

Puppy in a USB sounds like a good gift idea.

Linux Über Alles

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Already being done by many places on the web.

GPL License allows it.
Puppy is released under GPL licensing.

One example:
https://linuxcollections.com/products/p ... m?id=52848

No one is stopping anyone from doing it.
However, it is excepted that you can charge for the media cost and a small amount to do the install on it, plus shipping charges.
any higher charges, forget it!

Example:
Puppy stuff
https://www.redbubble.com/i/mug/puppy-l ... 0135.V33QC

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

Interesting

The CD costs 50-cents more if you buy it with a USB. :lol:

I would polish it for market, both the site and product, maybe put sticker logos thereon, but you'd need a guess of how many orders you'd expect.

Open source financing is esoteric to me, mostly thinking about motives and how organization & productivity work. I usually just catch deep pocket funding, like Brian Acton's $50M into Signal.

If I were rich I'd ask Barry and the woof gang about two interests: growing the overall Linux market share and Puppy's rank because this os is what I'd still be using with $2.5B (USD).

bigpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:38 pm

GPL License allows it.

One example:

However, it is excepted that you can charge for the media cost and a small amount to do the install on it, plus shipping charges.

Example:
Puppy stuff

Linux Über Alles

sonny

Post by sonny »

Let's segment the market:

1. Small market version: Puppy Linux ISO
- For people who know what they want and what they're doing

2. Big market version: Puppy in a USB
- For people who dunno anything but push the power button and click the mouse button

Big market ideas:

Consumer market ...
> JAS' gift idea is brilliant. Gift is the least intimidating way to market Puppy to the big market's people (i.e. friends, family, colleagues).
> We can assign our distribution centers (US, UK, Australia, Russia, Asia, Africa, etc).
> Whoever wish to take part can split the profit with the kennels:
- Samsung FIT USB 3.1 128GB costs around $20 at amazon
- Last time I checked with the USPS, US shipping is less than $5
- "If" Puppy in a USB sells for $50 shipped, then the profit (labor) will be $25

Business/industrial market ...
> Offer a partnership with Samsung that Puppy is bundled with their FIT USB series (a FREEDOM in an extra option: just use it or have it reformatted)
> Reach out to educational institutions for a diskless ecosystem that is better, cost effective, and future proof
> Reach out to local police department - https://www.itnews.com.au/news/nsw-poli ... ing-157767
> What else? "Opportunities multiply as they are seized!"

taersh

Post by taersh »

:lol:
Another topic with much efforts and less results like so many have arrived over the years?
;)

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

sonny

Post by sonny »

bigpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:38 pm

GPL License allows it.

One example:

Example:
Puppy stuff

Please correct me if I'm wrong ...

As far as I'm aware of, there's no "distro in a USB" that is:

- As ready to use (no yada yada, just plug and straight to the desktop, then click your Chrome icon)
- As all-around
- As loaded (with realistically useful mainstream apps)
- As easy on the eyes (the crystal-clear, shallow, alphabetical and indestructible menu

as the one I prototyped in ghostUSB.

Absolutely not the same as that free download and down-the-drain ISO version.

sonny

Post by sonny »

taersh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:25 pm

Another topic with much efforts and less results like so many have arrived over the years?
;)

That's the freedom of speech and the freedom of choice.
As for me, I'd rather give the best and fail than never try anything and succeed.
Someday when I stare at the rear-view mirror, I won't feel any regret for bringing this idea up at the kennels.

PuppyandCo

Post by PuppyandCo »

wouldn't charging for puppy in an ISO automatically breach GPL? It wouldn't matter what else was added to the GPL code inside the ISO, any GPL code in a software product makes the product (in this case the ISO) subject to GPL, this is the whole point of GPL

pre-installed puppies must overcome the objection that they are selling GPL code - so as someone said (Bigpup?) it can only be a fee for the blank USB key, plus the shipping cost, plus any wraparound services, plus any proprietary code (e.g. you might have something to link the puppy usb to windows*)

from what little I've seen of this idea so far this seems too much like those services that charge you £50 for a deed poll (change-of-name) when anyone can write out the words (like basically) "I hereby change my name to Puppy McPupperston and won't be called Jim anymore", and sign it, and it's legally effective.

The core of the proposition could be realised by telling people "Get USB key, Download Rufus, put ISO on USB", which is non-valuable. And to the extent that it's also non-marketable - at least people fall for the deed polls

If someone is incapable of burning an ISO, and I acknowledge many people may be, the proposition becomes "assisting people without mental capacity to access open source software" and then you're maybe starting to build a distro around accessibility. Puppy has a weakness around peripherals, so you might realise value from building bespoke plugins for those communication boards used in learning disabilities settings, or translating the help guides for puppy into pictograms (etc).

The partnership with Samsung for them to ship their product with a Linux distro based on GPL code distro seems iffy. The licensor breaches GPL if the arrangement reduces to profiting from GPL code, and the licensee risks any software in their product becoming subject to GPL by extension. (even blank USBs from these manufacturers often have some pre-installed driver, or a backup utility - pre-install puppy next to it and their IP is now under GPL). The legals on that for Samsung might exceed the market value. I'd suggest mocking up marketing materials for them is likely to breach their rights in most jurisdictions.

The education world has access to UN-subsidized offerings that a startup won't be able to match (e.g. Laptop for Every Child - why pay $50 for a USB with puppy when there are other Linuxes that come with an entire free laptop?). And they usually don't go for them and stick with Microsoft anyway, due to certain factors of doing business with the public sector that (again) a startup won't be able to match.

(* re. adding proprietary tools to a GPL distro this is legally non-trivial and it's to do with how distinct they are - the safe extreme is like selling the blank usb for $2, burning puppy onto it for free, and then offering those people to buy the proprietary stuff separately for $48. And you'd need to have some proprietary stuff before getting into that, not Clonezilla - Clonezilla's small print would need reading)

(Opinions in this post are not provided as legal advice)

sonny

Post by sonny »

I consider "Puppy is a USB" as a "Product as a Service", a product of labor ...

> Personalization (look & feel)
> Adding/installing more (free) apps
> Using better configuration

I consider ISO as a frozen pizza. It's available free for public to pick up and to prapare (oven is required, etc)
I considered ISO flashed onto USB on ebay as half-baked bread that still needs to be reheated in the oven or whatnot
Puppy in a USB is a fresh-from-the-oven pizza delivered straight to your door. No oven and no preparation necessary. Just open up.

taersh

Post by taersh »

At least there was Puppy Studio and later Studios like 13.37.
They were sold by having everything installed to a USB flash drive.
At least it wasn't very successful from a commercial point of view.

My Music:

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

;)

"what ifs?"

as we say

a break from the man-at-his-workstation producing by himself and sharing with the world because he's not capitalistic or because he must to use Linus's free building blocks

individual knowledge constraints

Linux Über Alles

sonny

Post by sonny »

taersh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:28 pm

At least there was Puppy Studio and later Studios like 13.37.
They were sold by having everything installed to a USB flash drive.
At least it wasn't very successful from a commercial point of view.

Is this the one?

https://youtu.be/36t8KGQp0VE

"Puppy in a USB" is positioned as a mainstream OS running in an "invisible" and standby removable media.

It's targeted for Windows users who need to be "alone" sometimes ...
For those who don't want to carry around their "big fat purses" every time and wherever they go ...
For those who don't want to use their WIndows boats to "cross the digital storm & sail its digital storm" ...

Windows has issues with security and privacy, it can't be the only system that rules the computer.
There must be a back up for everything ...
Puppy in a USB is one of them. That's the niche market I'm talking about.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

JASpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:26 pm

@JASpup :-

Nah. Wasn't me..!

Mikeslr's your man....retired from practice, I believe, although I have no idea what his focus would have been. And he's from your side of "the Pond", anyway.

Me? Just a 'bodger', when it comes down to it.....albeit one with a good education, and a very enthusiastic interest in all things Puppy-related..! :D

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I have tried booting Studios, one version scarily as it produced that machine's first kernel panic (I think it was the one based on Lucid).

I think Ubuntu Studio worked, but the main reason I wouldn't seek Studio is I wouldn't use all (or most) of the apps.

Z.B., why boot Studio just to use MuSe?

A successful package would have to be mainstream/generic, or oriented towards a common purpose like gaming.

I'm tempted to boot MX just to see what it looks like.

Linux Über Alles

sonny

Post by sonny »

JASpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:21 pm

;)

"what ifs?"

as we say

a break from the man-at-his-workstation producing by himself and sharing with the world because he's not capitalistic or because he must to use Linus's free building blocks

individual knowledge constraints

I just realized how hard it is to be a middleman who tries to bridge the gap:

- If I present this ghostUSB thing to a mainstream user, he/she may respond, "What in the world is this?"
- If I show it to a kennel person, he/she may reply, "What in the kennel you want?"

:|

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:41 pm
JASpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:26 pm

@JASpup :-

Nah. Wasn't me..!

Mikeslr's your man....retired from practice, I believe, although I have no idea what his specialty used to be. And he's from your side of "the Pond", anyway.

Me? Just a 'bodger'

Handcraft okay, probably better. I'm politically unconventional & moderate but probably on the far left regarding the value of occupations.

For some reason my mind reads Mike Single-Lens Reflex.

Linux Über Alles

sonny

Post by sonny »

JASpup wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:44 pm

I have tried booting Studios, one version scarily as it produced that machine's first kernel panic (I think it was the one based on Lucid).

I think Ubuntu Studio worked, but the main reason I wouldn't seek Studio is I wouldn't use all (or most) of the apps.

Z.B., why boot Studio just to use MuSe?

A successful package would have to be mainstream/generic, or oriented towards a common purpose like gaming.

I'm tempted to boot MX just to see what it looks like.

Virtually any distro run fine in live mode.
Try installing it in a USB media and boot from it.
You'll be computing in slow motion.
Only Puppy rules the USB.

taersh

Post by taersh »

Is this the one?

Yes, this is an older version of Puppy Studio.
There were multiple later versions.

I think the latest is Studio 1337 3.3.
At least that's the latest I've got.

My Music:

sonny

Post by sonny »

I didn’t plan to follow up this topic until wiak’s post made me want to do it again …

viewtopic.php?p=30230#p30230

Step 1. Explore our options (with the help from an IP attorney we're hiring or whatnot)
Step 2. Secure a utility patent for "Puppy in a USB" (like amazon did with 1-click)
Step 3. Go find an investor (#2 is mandatory)

Now, interested in exploring those options? Anyone?

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Few seem to really understand free software.
The term free, is free to do whatever you want to, with it.

GPL licensing allows you, me, anyone, to download, install it on a USB stick, SD card, CD/DVD and charge money to buy it.
How much to charge?
Anything you want to charge.

However, not many people are dumb enough to pay more than the cost of the USB stick, SD card, CD/DVD, a small charge for you to do the install on it, and shipping charges to get it to them.
Puppy is out there, already being offered this way, by many people.
If you want to do it.
Do it.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

sonny

Post by sonny »

bigpup wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:32 pm

However, not many people are dumb enough to pay more than the cost of the USB stick, SD card, CD/DVD, a small charge for you to do the install on it, and shipping charges to get it to them.
Puppy is out there, already being offered this way, by many people.
If you want to do it.
Do it.

Dunno if you have checked what ghostUSB (Puppy in a USB example) has to offer.

Do you think this "Puppy in a USB" is a vanilla FossaPup64-9.5.iso flashed onto a USB + a small charge for you to do the install on it + the cost of the USB stick, SD card, CD/DVD + shipping?

https://youtu.be/YMIXYPhd42k

As I said, Puppy is a powerfully unique O/S in a USB media. It's a clear winner in the market. Game over.
The kennel mob can try to do better to make Puppy impactful to the greater good.
We can't control if Puppy will ever get a patent or a success in the desktop market. But we can control our effort; that is TRY.
Why don't we make that effort TOGETHER?

bigpup, were you referring to this scam?

https://youtu.be/S46Fby3qOGg

Return to “Users”