Raspup full install on an actual hard drive on the Raspi Zero W

Moderator: Forum moderators

samedog

Raspup full install on an actual hard drive on the Raspi Zero W

Post by samedog »

some time ago i made this: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=2318 not happy with it now i boot raspup from an actual hard drive because it's cool and why not?

- some tweaks were made to the cmdline.txt, config.txt and bootmenu.txt.
- the microsd card carries only the bootcode.bin, pivots to fat32 boot partition (/dev/sda1) and can be removed after the init starts.
- fullhdd install because the raspi zero w has 512mb ram and on a hard drive i can swap and compile the hell out of the system without killing the storage media.
- because reasons (too much free time).

* screenshot:

puppyarm_fullhdd.png
puppyarm_fullhdd.png (171.29 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

* some really low res photos:

raspup2.jpg
raspup2.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
raspup1.jpg
raspup1.jpg (86.14 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
wiak

Re: Raspup full install on an actual hard drive on the Raspi Zero W

Post by wiak »

Well this is impressive - I'm inspired by it even though I don't have any Raspi, but Raspi Zero so cheap I'm tempted to get one soonish now.

I am adding to my TODO list for WeeDogLinux to make a Raspi version for this purpose. Okay, so I have too much to do for now, so I'm timetabling that to be ready by Christmas time 2021... I will aim to make it a frugal WDL install still though, since I don't copy main rootfs into RAM by default anyway. This should fly with WDL_Void versions, but I expect it to work fast with WDL_Arch version too.

As a matter of interest, how do you get the desktop on the attached tablet - I am presuming you are using vncclient/server arrangement or what?

EDIT: However, on second thoughts... I've used Debian on Android phones via termux long ago, and it was okay... (even on pretty old phone) so I might be better trying to get WDL_something to work with that. Yeah, that's my plan - costs zero... But interesting about your Pi zero anyway... other uses for that of course.

https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _linux_on/

wiak

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

samedog

Post by samedog »

As a matter of interest, how do you get the desktop on the attached tablet - I am presuming you are using vncclient/server arrangement or what?

the tablet is a wacom cintiq 16, it has an hdmi cable, i just used an hdmi to minihdmi adapter

lizardidi

Post by lizardidi »

Hi @samedog , i am very impressed by your works too.

I use raspup on raspberry pi zero every day as a low power computer, mainly for lite browsing and writing. The raspberry pi zero's ram limitation is a big problem. After we loaded raspup (with save file) into ram, the usable memory becoming quite limited.

Can you show how you full install the raspup?

Many thanks in advance

Return to “Raspbian Buster”