How to decrease savefile size in FossaPup64? (Solved)

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Luke2021

How to decrease savefile size in FossaPup64? (Solved)

Post by Luke2021 »

Hi
i know how to increase savefile size if FossaPup64.
But sometime i remove many tested app, then how to decrease savefile size ?

Regards

Last edited by Luke2021 on Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feek

Re: How to decrease savefile size if FossaPup64

Post by Feek »

For testing apps it's good to run Puppy in ram (boot parameter "pfix=ram").

You can install and test whatever and it doesn't affect your savefile.

After you see that the tested app is running well and you want to have it installed, just boot into your savefile, install it (pet or deb packages) and save session.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

You really should keep it the size it is.
To Puppy Linux the save file is the storage location available to put stuff.
It is made a specific file size.
Some space is being used, and the unused, is free space, to use.

If when you made the save.
You have a location to put the save, that is formatted in a Linux format, ext 2, 3, or 4.
The save could be made a save folder.
A save folder acts as any folder.
Only uses space as needed for what is in it.

Do you have a location formatted ext 2, 3, or 4?
There is a way to turn a save file into a save folder, but it needs a Linux format location to store it.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Luke2021

Post by Luke2021 »

@Feek @bigpup first let me thank you for your reply
second i will explain more ,i play with FossaPup64, i boot from USB
i create save file about 1gb, i change background, country, keyboard and so...reboot with save file
boot and test some app, example i test few media player, other app...
lets say i donwnload & install app1, then app2 then am out of space i increase save file test app3
i don't like app3 i remove but the save file is still big anf i don't need all that space
how do i decrease it ? because i use same USB for other stuff and i need that space.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

The save file is not really designed to go back and forth constantly changing it's size.

You would be better off doing an install of Fossapup64 on the USB, where the format is a Linux format, and a save folder could be used.

This other stuff you need space for.
Does Windows need to access the drive and see this added stuff?
If no.

Do you have another USB drive, you could make a completely new install, of Fossapup64 on?
If yes.

Fossapup64 has installers that can do an install to a USB formatted in a Linux format.

The old save file can be changed to a save folder (directory) and use it with the new Fossapup USB install.
First, the save folder has to be placed in a location that is formatted in a Linux format.

savefile2dir 1.6 - Convert savefile to savefolder
This is the forum topic:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96472
The savefile2dir-1.6.pet is here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 673#855673

Luke2021

Post by Luke2021 »

bigpup wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:33 pm

The save file is not really designed to go back and forth constantly changing it's size.

ok, thank you for the other useful information.
what i did is:
make a compressed backup of save-file before i increase the size
when want to go back just decompress the backup and voila !

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Not a bad idea!

There is always 10 different ways to do about anything.

Using a save folder, would auto adjust in size, as you use it.

williams2

Post by williams2 »

A save file will compress better if the unused space in the file system is filled with zeros (or any byte, as long as they are all the same byte.)

For example, a simple script:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
echo 'zeroing save file ...'
dd status=progress if=/dev/zero of=/root/dd.bin
sync
sync
rm /root/dd.bin
sync
mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi Luke2021, and :welcome: to the Forum.

For future reference, regardless of whether you are using a SaveFile/Folder or none, you don't have to execute a Save before you can test most (all?) applications. When you install a pet or other package it is only in RAM. Puppy will re-catalog what makes up its system if you Menu>Exit>Restart-x (AKA Graphical Server). You can then test if the application is to your liking, and works correctly. If there's a problem you can try to fix it. For example, it may not appear on the menu, may lack an icon or appear in the wrong place. Menus are displayed according to the arguments in the text file /usr/share/applications/NAME-OF-APPLICATION.desktop.
To test it, or find out what's wrong, you can start it from the command line. The Exec= argument in the desktop file will tell you the name of the executable, or the 'wrapper' which calls it with instructions. Knowing the name of the executable, you can find it with Menu>Filesystem>pfind. Then file-browse to it, Right-Click it and select ListDD --list Dynamic Dependencies, i.e., files which have to be part of your system for the application to properly function. Click the "Missing" tab at the bottom.
[Unfortunately, ListDD doesn't work with applications using python].
Only after you are satisfied do you need to execute a Save in order to preserve the changes you've made.
There is no way to 'shrink' a SaveFile. It's actually just a block of space on your drive formatted with a Linux System. The only 'work-around' of which I'm aware is the following:
(1) Hover your mouse-cursor over the Tray-Icon showing your SaveFile to find out its current size and the amount of its space being used. Subtract. But leave yourself at least 150 Mbs more than you think you'll need.
(2) Download the nicOS-Utility-Suite from here, viewtopic.php?f=106&t=1694 and extract it. Right-Click the SFS and SFS-load it. Select nicOS-MakeSave. IIRC, you'll be asked to select a size (per your above calculations) and a format. For USB-Keys I recommend Linux Ext3. After it's been created, Right-Click>Rename and give it a name other than that of your current SaveFile. Reboot.
(3) On reboot you'll be offered the choice of which SaveFile to use, or None. Choose None.
(4) Left-Click both the old and new SaveFiles to mount and open both. Left-Click Rox's "Eye" in the window to your old SaveFile to "Show hidden files". Then Left-Click an empty space to focus Rox's attention on that folder and then type Ctrl-a. All the file will be highlighted/selected. Left-Press, Hold, then drag any file from the old SaveFile into the new SaveFile. As long as all files were selected when you dragged, all will be dragged into your new SaveFile. Select copy.
You will have copied the contents of your old SaveFile into your new. Reboot, selecting the new on bootup.
Once you're satisfied with your new, you can delete your old.

Or do nothing. Although a partially empty SaveFile may be wasting a little space on your USB-Key, the wasted space isn't duplicated in RAM. On the other hand, if you try to Save an application and there isn't sufficient space for it in your SaveFile, you can end up with a corrupted SaveFile. [One of the reasons SaveFolders are recommened].

Return to “Beginners Help”