How to create a Fossapup Save folder at a specific location?

Moderators: 666philb, Forum moderators

rmcellig1

How to create a Fossapup Save folder at a specific location?

Post by rmcellig1 »

In bionic pup when I boot in RAM and am prompted to create a savefile/folder, I can save it wherever I want to. In Fossapup it seems the only place I can save it is the drive that fossapup is on. In my case, my usb stick. Is it possible to save elseshere like I can with xenialpup and bionicpup?

Feek

Re: creating a save folder to specific destination

Post by Feek »

Hello,

this probably doesn‘t solve your problem but perhaps will be inspirational for you. I had a frugal install of more pupppies on usb stick and in 20% of booting the main Puppy .sfs wasn´t found (I had to reboot once or twice). I could live with this issue, but later I decided to shrink my data ntfs partition on hard drive and allocate 100 gb to Puppies (ext3).

On the usb stick (with extlinux bootloader) I placed folders of Puppies and inside of each "Puppy" folder only vmlinuz and initrd.gz. Next I created folders for each Puppy in the 100 gb partition and placed there the rest of the install files (main Puppy .sfs, zdrv..., ydrv...).

After that I edited the configuration file for extlinux as needed (so vmlinuz and initrd.gz is now loaded from usb stick itself and the rest is loaded from hard drive).

My savefolders are placed on that hard drive partition, because usual place for the save is /mnt/home and Puppy probably expects that it is the same place where the main Puppy .sfs resides. This works for me with Fossapup64 without problem. Here is an example of my extlinux boot entry:

Code: Select all

label 3
kernel /fossapup64_9.5/vmlinuz
initrd /fossapup64_9.5/initrd.gz
append pmedia=ataflash pupsfs=sda6:/fossapup64/puppy_fossapup64_9.5.sfs zdrv=sda6:/fossapup64/zdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs fdrv=sda6:/fossapup64/fdrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs adrv=sda6:/fossapup64/adrv_fossapup64_9.5.sfs psave=sda6:/fossapup64/
williams2

Re: How to create a Fossapup Save folder at a specific location?

Post by williams2 »

Sometimes the boot option pmedia=cd seems to affect where you can create a save file or folder.

You could try deleting pmedia=cd from the config file.

You could try editing /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE before shutting down Puppy to create a save file
and change PMEDIA='cd' or whatever value it has, to PMEDIA=''
then shut down Puppy to try to create a save file.

You could copy the Puppy OS sfs files to your hard drive, which installs Puppy to the hard drive.
Then Puppy might allow you to choose the hard drive to put a save file.
and you could set the boot option to pupsfs=sda4 if you moved/copied the Puppy sfs files to partition sda4.

You could try moving the save file from the usb flash drive to the hard drive.
Then Puppy might find it and use it.

You could try the psave= boot option.
For example, psave=sda4 causes Puppy to expect the save file/folder to be on /dev/sda4
psave= could be a partition or a label or a uuid

Or, psave=<partition>:<path>/<filename>
See the readme file in the fossa iso. It should be on the boot cd/dvd/usb flash drive.

Clarity

Keep ALL saves in the "Sessions" folder on each PC

Post by Clarity »

Hello @rmcellig1. I understand your problem. Without going into the details of why your observation exist for save-session, I will offer 2 approaches; both of which will work.

For the existing save-session, I am not sure if you have the session you

1. saved as a file "fossapupsave...?fs"

2. or if you save it in a folder format, "fossapup64save" saved to your booting device.

1. If you have it saved as a file, the file can be moved from the booting device to ANY other partition.

2. If you have it saved as folder, that means it is saved on partition formated for a Linux filesystem. This folder can be moved from the booting device to a new location BUT (and this is important) its new location on another partition MUST BE a Linux filesystem too.

Recommendation: I put ALL of my sessions in a folder I have created on the system's disk (not the booting device) for maintaining ALL sessions that are created for this single PC. My Sessions are all kept on a partition that is a Linux filesystem to avoid problems.

My Sessions folder.jpg
My Sessions folder.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 2194 times

On reboot, I interrupt the boot process and edit the linux line adding "linux ... psave=sdaX:/Sessions/" where "X" it the partition number housing the Sessions. This allows the booting PUP or DOG system to find the location to look for saves.

If you have problems, post back here.

Enjoy

Last edited by Clarity on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Post by bigpup »

On reboot, I interrupt the boot process and edit the linux line adding "linux ... psave=sdaX:/Sessions/" where "X" it the partition number housing the Sessions.

You can open, in a text editor, whatever boot menu config file is used by the boot loader.
Make this edit to the menu entry.
Save change.

Now it should boot using the new entry.

Boot loader menu config files
grub.cfg
syslinux.cfg
menu.lst

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Agreed for one of a couple approaches that would/could be a "permanent" solution for adding PUP parms to the "linux" boot line.

DONT forget to ALSO edit the same line in the "loopback.cfg" to cover all modern PUP boot approaches.

P.S. @gyrog's process changes (not in all modern PUPs) takes care of this via the advances he's made and the SAVESPEC file that is created at pristine shutdown. BUT, not all modern PUPs have this integrated, OOTB

I use this for my 2021 ISO file booting of PUPs.

Return to “Fossapup64”