When last did you run Windows?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

Re: When last did you run Windows?

Post by JASpup »

rockedge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 pm

But on that note, I have used a similar type of project with Windows XP to use on VirtualBox....totally cracked and can register and update no problems. A good old school Assembly coder "fixed it". Pay back for MicroPuppet using code from him in 1982 without credits or cash.

That's the version to have -- take anywhere updated with SP3. I've been trying to get it on my old 98 machine that likes Lucid.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:30 pm

@JASpup all I know about is mostly said here:

For the few 200-300 searches I see a day looking to fix an install of Tiny7, I have some information that is going to help you. Help you a whole lot. You need to hear (read this) because the answer is right in front of you but you somehow just can not see it.
Windows 7 is an operating system created by Microsoft.
Tiny7 is not.
Tiny 7 is a copy of windows 7 that has had so much stuff stripped out of it, you get a faster running machine because there are a whole lot less resources being used by the typical running software.
Some things you install may not work because the software that it depends on, will not be on the machine. So you have to search for that software on the internet and get it installed so your machine can run the process you are needing. Trust that this software has a potential of making your computer a tad bit slower.
On that note. Windows Tiny 7, is not a full legal version to install and run as a computer. The guy that distributes the software, Makes it clear that he is just trying to see how little of processes he can make it to before the operating system is none functional. His goal is to run the operating system with as few resources and processes as possible. He is uploading the software for you to look at what he did, and then give him ideas as to what to do next. He has no intentions of you making this your primary operating system on your primary computer. I think that is why he stopped working on the project after tiny vista was fully complete.

On that note. DO NOT try and register tiny7. That is not what he intended for you to do. DO NOT try and get updates to Tiny 7. It will check with WGA (windows Genuine Advantage), see it is a pirated copy of windows, and then it will lock you down. You will then be locked out of your own computer, simply because you have not been logical

But on that note, I have used a similar type of project with Windows XP to use on VirtualBox....totally cracked and can register and update no problems. A good old school Assembly coder "fixed it". Pay back for MicroPuppet using code from him in 1982 without credits or cash.

This was removed from Windows 7, see attached. So many drivers have been removed no wonder I can't even get the bloody thing installed.

Attachments
Tiny7.zip
(5.31 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
sonny

Post by sonny »

I have zero reason to have any Windows installed in any of my computers. I never needed/utilized MS Office nor Photoshop more than 1% of its power. I don't use
AutoCad nor QuickBooks. I only need Firefox, ProtonVPN, file managers, and some notepads. Even my one and only, Quake III Arena, runs natively with Linux.

The worst case scenario is to move Windows to computer's "passenger's seat" (virtualized), while Linux is on the driver's seat. "Wining" is still a better option for running MS Office 2007 or 2010.
Most home users (mindlessly) use Windows because it always comes preinstalled with their PC and business users are forced to use Windows for their bread & butter (Windows-only business apps).
As for me ... no more Windows, doors, gates, bars ... just freedom (of choice).

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@sonny when TurboTax runs in WINE I can drop Windows. I had XP for one reason.......to do things to it to figure out why my friends and clients Windows machines didn't work right or anymore so I could fix it. Me personally never needed it. I used DOS then Linux with a super short Windows bridge in between...just long enough to say "no....never...." The rest were mainframe operating systems or the RSTS/E time sharing OS on PDP-11/70's

sonny

Post by sonny »

rockedge wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:21 pm

@sonny when TurboTax runs in WINE I can drop Windows. I had XP for one reason.......to do things to it to figure out why my friends and clients Windows machines didn't work right or anymore so I could fix it. Me personally never needed it. I used DOS then Linux with a super short Windows bridge in between...just long enough to say "no....never...." The rest were mainframe operating systems or the RSTS/E time sharing OS on PDP-11/70's

That's what I was talking about.
Windows is for "business-related" computers, because there are no other options
Windows is absolutely not for personal computers.

I know some small offices and even a famous university here in downtown LA that are still using Internet Explorer browser in order to run an app they can't do their businesses without.

If only we grew up with some OS options available back then (i.e. like today's distros) to compete with Windows ...

cthisbear

Post by cthisbear »

You would have to tell me your specs...as per usual.

If you had Vista drivers you could often use them.
If XP only drivers than that's hard though occasionally I cheated enough to get it going.

I actually installed it on an Acer Aspire 3620 with 1.25gbs of ram...
just booted it up.

:::::::::::
"amethyst "

I downloaded that Windows 7 Tiny sometime ago but couldn't get it installed. Install programme was
complaining about some drivers so didn't proceed.
Any suggestions (how did you get it installed?).

Chris

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

cthisbear wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 am

You would have to tell me your specs...as per usual.

If you had Vista drivers you could often use them.
If XP only drivers than that's hard though occasionally I cheated enough to get it going.

I actually installed it on an Acer Aspire 3620 with 1.25gbs of ram...
just booted it up.

:::::::::::
"amethyst "

I downloaded that Windows 7 Tiny sometime ago but couldn't get it installed. Install programme was
complaining about some drivers so didn't proceed.
Any suggestions (how did you get it installed?).

Chris

HP Compaq 6720S, 2GB RAM. I only have a XP SP3 CD.

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

I triple boot - two Linux OSs and windows10.... plus I also have windows 10 installed in an external drive that I can boot in any computer manly for family members that may need help in their computers. I also have windowsPE in a USB drive from where I boot up to do all my OS image back ups and restores...

In windows 10 I removed all of the telemetry stuff I could and never update anymore...just strictly for offline and maybe sometimes online for downloads and research. Further I used this program to strip a lot of things from it https://www.winreducer.net/winreducer-ex-100.html Windows 10 is very intrusive with a built in administrator that you cannot remove while in linux you are your own owner and can destroy the OS very easy which I prefer to have control over it rather than be babysit.

I say I want to use Linux now 90% of the time now... I have not found linux alternatives to some apps for example FastStone Capture... I recently found Flameshot but I have not used it that much to see how it compares but looks promising. Also I know there is no alternative in linux to this gem https://www.voidtools.com/ I know that because it uses windows native built in function....I have lots of files and when I struggle to finding one when I need it in 10 minutes or so.... and my favorite windows OS back up software is a gem that I can't replace...been using for at least a decade and it is very small and free (well free for 30 days but you for personal use you can keep using it over and over...I use it in windowsPE environment)... http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/

Linux is my go to now...or should I say puppy...still learning...I still don't know how to even read puppy firewall logs lol.... or learn how to only allow out centain ports... :thumbup:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I am using Everything with WINE on a Bionic64-8. This machine has no NTFS parititions but I added the "C:" drive as a folder from the WINE file system structure
when I selected an image Everything opened it up with PhotoFiltre StudioX.

It's limited to the WINE filesystem or a NTFS drive/partition. It works really well in WINE and does as advertised

Screenshot(99).png
Screenshot(99).png (438.96 KiB) Viewed 343 times
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@rockedge - How did you specify Wine's C: drive in Everything's settings? Also - I have 2 NTFS partitions, ie: /mnt/sda1 and /mnt/sda2. How do I include these? I've tried this in the past but it didn't work.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Nic:-

Don't quite follow, mate. If you were installing 'Everything' in Windows itself, you wouldn't have to tell it where to find the "C:" drive, would you? The whole of Windows runs from the "C:" drive anyway....

If you're installing any Windows app/program, it naturally expects to find itself in a Windows environment, so it looks around to locate one. It will find a Windows environment inside the WINE prefix/container - which is, as rockedge says, just a self-contained directory in any case......and that is where it will install itself, in an environment where it finds, & 'recognises' everything it expects to be there.

Perhaps I've been mistaken all these years, but that's how I've always understood the process to work..... :)

Can you clarify what you mean by telling the app where to "find" the "C:" drive..?

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:05 am

@amethyst :-

Nic:-

Don't quite follow, mate. If you were installing 'Everything' in Windows itself, you wouldn't have to tell it where to find the "C:" drive, would you? The whole of Windows runs from the "C:" drive anyway....

If you're installing any Windows app/program, it naturally expects to find itself in a Windows environment, so it looks around to locate one. It will find a Windows environment inside the WINE prefix/container - which is, as rockedge says, just a self-contained directory in any case......and that is where it will install itself, in an environment where it finds, & 'recognises' everything it expects to be there.

Perhaps I've been mistaken all these years, but that's how I've always understood the process to work..... :)

Can you clarify what you mean by telling the app where to "find" the "C:" drive..?

Mike. ;)

Doesn't work for me with Wine.

Edit: Okay, got it to work by adding a folder as rockedge suggested. Needs to be installed via Wine's install application (Add programs) otherwise it doesn't work (If you run the install .exe file directly, you run into problems like I did) . The application did not recognize any of my drives but I could add a folder. So I added the NTFS partition where I save all my data as a folder. This works well for me because I have dual-boot with Windows and all my data is actually stored on this NTFS partition. :thumbup:

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst what I do is start Everything and then open from the menu bar Tools->Options->Indexes->Folders.
There I use "Add" to select "C:" and then add "C:/users" and "H:" (H: is /root) then click "Apply".

I have then search results from Bionic64's /root and from the mounted partitions as well as the WINE file system. I'm using the 32 bit version of Everything.

Back in the day, late 80's early 90's I wrote a program for MS-DOS called "Felix" that did the same thing. I called a "Global file manager" It originally was for finding duplicate files after indexing the entire drive. Had a 20 M limit at the time due to lack of RAM (640 KB) and the increasingly complicated SEGMENT:OFFSET memory addressing needed to use extended memory and DOS's other expanded memory to keep Felix using RAM to do the indexing of all the files present on the hard drives.

20 meg hard drive at the time was big and people like my Dad had them to design gas turbine engines.

Felix still works in DOSBox and on MS-DOS virtual machines

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

rockedge wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 12:44 pm

@amethyst what I do is start Everything and then open from the menu bar Tools->Options->Indexes->Folders.
There I use "Add" to select "C:" and then add "C:/users" and "H:" (H: is /root) then click "Apply".

I have then search results from Bionic64's /root and from the mounted partitions as well as the WINE file system. I'm using the 32 bit version of Everything.

Back in the day, late 80's early 90's I wrote a program for MS-DOS called "Felix" that did the same thing. I called a "Global file manager" It originally was for finding duplicate files after indexing the entire drive. Had a 20 M limit at the time due to lack of RAM (640 KB) and the increasingly complicated SEGMENT:OFFSET memory addressing needed to use extended memory and DOS's other expanded memory to keep Felix using RAM to do the indexing of all the files present on the hard drives.

20 meg hard drive at the time was big and people like my Dad had them to design gas turbine engines.

Felix still works in DOSBox and on MS-DOS virtual machines

Thanks, as you can see with my edited post I got it working by adding the folder (partition). I don't get any reference to C: with the version I installed but I could browse the filesystem and add the partition as folder from there. I installed the programme with the Wine installer but to another location (actually to the partition that I want searched). Also added my external usb drive partition as folder the same way. Works fine. I've been using Everything for ages on my Windows machine, excellent utility. I've got a huge music data base and this is great for searching a song and playing it by dragging it from the search window to my player (XMPlay, also a Windows programme working well with WINE.)

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:50 pm

XMPlay, also a Windows programme working well with WINE

Hello. Don't you have a problem with dragging XMPlay with the mouse on the screen? I don’t understand if it’s my Nvidia drivers playing around or the Wine version.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 4:55 pm
amethyst wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:50 pm

XMPlay, also a Windows programme working well with WINE

Hello. Don't you have a problem with dragging XMPlay with the mouse on the screen? I don’t understand if it’s my Nvidia drivers playing around or the Wine version.

No, I don't have that problem. If you are using the info window screen too, make sure that the option is checked that the info window moves together with the main window. Also make sure that those two screens do not overlap.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst I never tried Xmplayer until now.....found out it works great in a Wine virtual desktop on this system. Stock Bionic64 with WINE both 64 and 32 bit support.

(5).png
(5).png (143.46 KiB) Viewed 364 times
joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

rockedge wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:52 am

I am using Everything with WINE on a Bionic64-8. This machine has no NTFS parititions but I added the "C:" drive as a folder from the WINE file system structure
when I selected an image Everything opened it up with PhotoFiltre StudioX.

It's limited to the WINE filesystem or a NTFS drive/partition. It works really well in WINE and does as advertised
Screenshot(99).png

I am running puppy as frugal since I've started using it... specifically I just boot up the .iso and save all of my settings in settings.4fs. This has a limitation because the file can grow up very quickly. Right now I have it at 4GB and it is already 80% full :lol: And I have all my portable browsers, downloads and appimages saved in another partition. If I add wine in a frugal install, if I remember correctly, it adds about 3GB more... when I have time, I need to set aside a partition for puppy and try nonfrugal.

Having said that, if 'Everything works' in puppy that would be great.

Here is a small list of some of my favorite apps in windows in no particular order.

1by1 - directory mp3 player (also now for android) http://mpesch3.de/1by1.html

hashmyfiles - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/hash_my_files.html (site has many other useful apps)

process monitor - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... ds/procmon Supposedly there is one for linux but it did not work in puppy for me: https://github.com/Sysinternals/ProcMon-for-Linux

SketchUp (the old free offline version)

Snagit - https://www.techsmith.com/screen-capture.html You can request a free key if you can provide you are an evaluator...e.g. on youtube or other media.

Sumatra PDF
- https://www.sumatrapdfreader.org/free-pdf-reader

FastStone Image Viewer - https://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@rockedge XMPlay is another application I've been using for donkey years and there are good reasons. Way back when I had a Pentium I machine with very limited RAM, I had a problem with even playing 128kbps mp3 files smoothly. XMPlay, was at the time, the only player I could find which didn't give me this problem and I think the reason was that it dynamically loads the full file into RAM right from the start. The other selling point was its ability to use the old Winamp DSP-plugins for excellent sound effects. The Enhancer plugin just rocks when using good hifi speakers. Th equalizer and all other options are also top class. You can download all sorts of nice things from their home support page.

Attachments
Screenshot(2).jpg
Screenshot(2).jpg (60.39 KiB) Viewed 328 times
Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 12:56 am

XMPlay is another application I've been using for donkey years and there are good reasons.

Previously(on Windows) it was my favorite player, but not for mp3. For tracker formats (mod, it, xm, s3m), for which it was sharpened. My favorite visual plugin was Nad. But now there is a similar(okay, slightly worse :) ) Scope plugin for Deadbeef, and XMPlay is godlessly buggy for me in Linux.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@amethyst I am really impressed on how well Xmplayer is working. This Dell Optiplex 980's sound card never sounded better that I have it running on. What ever it is, Xmplayer is from an audio standpoint, a top runner. Though I have the best results using it in a Wine virtual desktop because it did crash the X server a couple of times when I moved Xmplayer around the screen and seems fine in the virtual desktop where it doesn't cause the drop out from X server graphical to command line. Using a quick xwin started it right up again.

darry19662018

Post by darry19662018 »

Anybody remember Zinf and Coolplayer?
For Windows.

cthisbear

Post by cthisbear »

methyst

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... pc/3442832

There you go...Chris.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

cthisbear wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 3:53 am

methyst

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/se ... pc/3442832

There you go...Chris.

No good. Windows 7 not even listed. Windows 10 was installed on this machine previously though. I'll just have to find/download the standard Windows 7 installation CD which will have all drivers needed. Besides, I don't know which drivers are needed, the setup programme does not say.

xenial

Post by xenial »

Oh about 15 odd years ago.it was windows 7 which in my opinion is the best version of windows.
Not touched windows ever since. :)

I crossed the water into nixland starting off first with buntu,mint,lite..but eventually i tried puppy and stuck with it ever since.
I don't think i shall leave puppy now unless something catastrophic occurs. ;)

Return to “Users”