Major graphics problems with zoom desktop client

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

mbarth

Major graphics problems with zoom desktop client

Post by mbarth »

Newbie here, so I hope I’m posting in the right place!

I’ve been using Puppy linux for a couple years now, and the zoom chrome browser extension has worked pretty well so far. However, I have not been able to get the zoom client to work despite many futile attempts.

Puppy version: XenialPup64-7.5, running frugal install.

Steps taken:

0. Made sure all of zoom’s dependencies were installed and that the previous zoom was correctly uninstalled (it left some hidden folders, all of which I deleted after searching for them using Bash).
1. Downloaded zoom deb file for Ubuntu (tried 16.04+ and 12.04)
2. Installed zoom deb file with PPM, Puppy said it installed successfully.
3. Opened zoom (tried from both menu and command line, same results)

Results:
Zoom’s window looks grayed out. When I move the window or open/close Chrome, it “refreshes” and shows the login screen. The window continues to be frozen unless I am literally dragging it around (so for instance, when I type my credentials I cannot see what I am typing until I move the window).
The window also sometimes becomes transparent or exhibits the strange “Windows XP lagscreen” behavior :o

Has anyone had this issue or know what to do? I have submitted a report with zoom, but I’m not sure that it’s an issue on their end. It’s a big enough problem for me that it could be the dealbreaker for continuing to use Puppy long-term if I can’t get it sorted. :cry:

foxpup

Re: Major graphics problems with zoom desktop client

Post by foxpup »

Have you tried zoom portable from @mikewalsh ?
It is in the forum.
Works nice for me on fossapup.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Hi, @mbarth .....and :welcome: to the 'kennels'..!

The 'Zoom-portable' I publish works for many people.....though Xenialpup64 is a bit of an 'awkward' one. I run it myself, amongst several others, yet Zoom-portable doesn't function properly there for me. It fires up, and runs, but for me the video feed is 'jerky' & 'stuttery'.....which could be related to my Nvidia GPU. I've never been sure about this. :roll:

I also run one of BK's older Quirkies, and have Zoom running from a Xenial64 'chroot'.....yet here it runs perfectly!

Are you using a discrete, separate GPU, or are you using integrated graphics? I've never attempted to use the Chrome browser extension, though I have heard on other fora that folks DO have issues with this.

Give the 'portable' a try. It should do what you want, I feel. You can find it HERE. That's a direct link to my Google Drive.

The forum thread is here:-

viewtopic.php?f=89&t=1983

Let us know what happens, please. Just because it's giving me problems, doesn't mean to say it will for you; I have a very highly-modified 'kennels', and it always amazes me anything works at all, sometimes! :lol: :lol:

It DOES run OK in most of my other 64-bitzers, however.....

Other than that, it might be worth considering the 'upgrade' to a newer Puppy; Xenialpup64's 'parent', Ubuntu 16.04 LTS "Xenial Xerus", went EOL last month.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Thu May 27, 2021 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:33 am

Google Drive.

Hello. How much space does Google Drive give for free? I will soon run out of space on Yandex Disk :)

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Grey wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Google Drive.

Hello. How much space does Google Drive give for free? I will soon run out of space on Yandex Disk :)

@Grey :-

AFAIK, 15 GB OOTB. I actually have 18 GB; I got "awarded" an extra 3 GB under some kind of 'one-off' promotion Google were running, but that WAS something like 12 or 13 years ago..... :D

It's not a bad amount; you get 10 GB with MediaFire, and DropBox cap you at a measly 5 GB. I have one Google Drive, and a MediaFire one (again, I have an extra 2 GB with them, 'awarded' at least 6 years back). Gives me a total of 30 GB free storage.....more than enough for most folks.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Grey

Post by Grey »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:04 pm

It's not a bad amount

Yeah, I see. Thanks. That's all, I will no longer distract you from discussing graphics problems.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Grey wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:06 pm

Google Drive.

Mega (NZ) gives 50GB free.

Grey

Post by Grey »

amethyst wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:44 pm

Mega (NZ) gives 50GB free.

Thanks for advice. I found their github page. It looks like they have a web client and a browser extension. At first glance, it seems not bad.

666philb

Post by 666philb »

@Grey they also have a linux and android client

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

There's also degoo which actually gives 100GB free. I have both Mega and Degoo desktop clients on my Windows machine. Don't know if degoo provides a Linux client. I haven't had problems with any of the two but Mega's upload and download speeds are normally faster.

mow9902

Post by mow9902 »

I had experienced similar problems with zoom on bionic64, and eventually found a solution. It has worked ever since, and also works nicely on fossapup64. I have no idea whether this applies in xenial, but worth a look. see this forum link
https://www.forum.puppylinux.com/viewto ... 5&start=10

Return to “Bug Reports”