SeaMonkey 'portables' - 32- and 64-bit - will now update internally...

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

SeaMonkey 'portables' - 32- and 64-bit - will now update internally...

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, all.

I know Mikeslr has mentioned my SeaMonkey portable builds on numerous occasions, but I hadn't got around to creating a thread for them.....this not being one of my 'regular' browsers. Anyways, here it is.....so that at least there's a fixed 'home' for it!

Mike mentioned the older builds, here:-

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=441&p=2206#p2206

.....and the currently available package is 2.53.11:-

https://mega.nz/folder/XKRnTI6L#9Aav_adSRGIW2sqSzJUvFA

Same instructions as all the other 'portables'; d/l; unzip; move the Seamonkey-portable directory anywhere you like.....preferably, outside the 'save'. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire 'em up. Simples!

The profile directory is automatically created within the main directory at first run. Can even be run from a USB flash-drive, if you so desire.

Navigate through, and help yourselves. Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

mikewalsh

Re: SeaMonkey 'portables' - 32- and 64-bit - v2.53.7.1

Post by mikewalsh »

Hiya, gang.

Okay; here are 'portable' builds - 32-bit & 64-bit - of the current release of Seamonkey; v2.53.7.1

I'm probably going to spend a bit more time on these from now on, since I've pretty much washed my hands of Pale Moon. A browser that won't let you use any useful extensions is as much use as a chocolate teapot, IMHO.

I'll attempt to keep these as up-to-date as I reasonably can, given how many other browser packages I'm also maintaining. You can find the current builds at the link in post #1.

Enjoy.

Mike. ;)

GMBudwrench

Post by GMBudwrench »

Stupid Google :lol: I'm current, using that very version with your implementations, already updated. But I wanted to look around and see what you had and Google drive is complaining about me being out of date. Hmm.... I'd rather keep my Seamonkey than to poke around in their app anyway. :mrgreen:

HP G71 Wins10 64 bit, 2.2ghz 320gb hdd, Bionicpup64 on a WD 500gb portable HDD.

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

trying to run this in xenialpup I get

Code: Select all

Your SeaMonkey profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible
capture536.png
capture536.png (9.45 KiB) Viewed 2738 times

edit. I found how to solve. You left a broken symlink in your package to /profile directory. I removed broken symlink and now seamonkey starts

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo:-

Oh, hell.....not again. :oops:

Thanks for the heads-up. I did a whole bunch of browser package updates yesterday, and I tend to leave the profiles linked-in for initial testing. I don't always remember to remove 'em......

EDIT:- Okay, fixed & re-uploaded. Sorry 'bout that, guys....

Mike. ;)

Dingo

Post by Dingo »

@mikewalsh
It is nothing of serious. I really love seamokey that is shipped with html editor and due to palemoon crazyness to drop support for extensions I think it will be my main browser in your portable variant

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Dingo :-

As long as it performs its intended function, and lets you get about the web and keep in touch with the community, that's the main thing of course.

Enjoy..!

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Have downloaded and installed your latest portable Seamonkey 32bit which is working in both DpupStretch and Quickpup. However, setting it up has reminded me as to why I have not used it in a while. I don't seem to be able to do what I normally do when I set up other browsers using Edit>Preferences or the various managers in Tools>xxxxx. I also like to use ublock and this does not seem possible. I've not spent much time on any of this so will look into it further. I think for the moment I will stick to using Palemoon or Iron until they become unusable /unsafe. Thanks again for making this up to date 32bit portable browser.

Regards,

Ken.

xenial

Post by xenial »

keniv wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:58 am

@mikewalsh
Hi Mike,
Have downloaded and installed your latest portable Seamonkey 32bit which is working in both DpupStretch and Quickpup. However, setting it up has reminded me as to why I have not used it in a while. I don't seem to be able to do what I normally do when I set up other browsers using Edit>Preferences or the various managers in Tools>xxxxx. I also like to use ublock and this does not seem possible. I've not spent much time on any of this so will look into it further. I think for the moment I will stick to using Palemoon or Iron until they become unusable /unsafe. Thanks again for making this up to date 32bit portable browser.

Regards,

Ken.

Hi ken.
i use the legacy version of ublock origin in seamonkey which can be obtained over at github.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

A-ha..!!!

Cheers, xenial. Thanks for that. There's nothing at all on the SeaMonkey add-ons site to cover this kind of thing.....I wonder why that is? (Even the BluHell firewall - which I used to use - only works for older versions. GTK+3, perhaps...? Lord knows...)

Mike. ;)

keniv

Post by keniv »

@xenial

Hi ken.
i use the legacy version of ublock origin in seamonkey which can be obtained over at github.
https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock-for-f ... y/releases

Hi Xenial,
Thanks for the link. uBlock Origin is now installed and working. I am also trying to clear cookies and history when I close the browser. I can do this quite easily using palemoon (see attached image) but I can't see an easy way to do this in seamonkey unless I'm missing something obvious. Is it possible to do this?

Regards,

Ken.

Attachments
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (14.96 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
xenial

Post by xenial »

Hi ken.
i also use cookie exterminator which runs in both pale moon and seamonkey which is also available over at github under justoffs collection,

yes if you enter "settings" and choose what to clear within there on shutdown and all should be good. :thumbup:

xenial

Post by xenial »

hello again.I just fired seamonkey up to have a look..if you go into "preferences" and then "double-click" privacy and security then some options are in there to clear cookies and private data etc..

keniv

Post by keniv »

xenial wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 4:00 pm

hello again.I just fired seamonkey up to have a look..if you go into "preferences" and then "double-click" privacy and security then some options are in there to clear cookies and private data etc..

It was the "double-click" I was missing so I'm now set up in a similar way to the way as I was in palemoon. I'll see how I get on with this. I guess I might have to refine this a bit. Just had a look at "cookie exterminator" on GitHub. If I have trouble with the way I now have seamonkey set up I'll give it a try. Thanks for your help with this.

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

keniv, "I am also trying to clear cookies and history when I close the browser."

AFAIK, seamonkey has never needed a separate addon. I has one under the Tools section of the Menu named "Clear Private Data". There's a setting under Preferences>Privacy & Security>Private Data to 'Always Clear Private Data" and set the "Default" of what is to be cleared.. But when you Click "Tools>Clear Private Data a GUI appears enabling you to either run it with your default setting or change what is to be removed this time.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikeslr

There's a setting under Preferences>Privacy & Security>Private Data to 'Always Clear Private Data" and set the "Default" of what is to be cleared.

Hi,
I've got the above setup now and it seems to be working so I haven't bothered with a further add-on to control cookies.

when you Click "Tools>Clear Private Data a GUI appears enabling you to either run it with your default setting or change what is to be removed this time.

I've just tried this but I don't get a GUI. When I click on "Clear Private Data" the drop down menu simply disappears. Is this because I have already set the "default" in Preferences>Privacy & Security>Private Data and this is what gets executed?

Regards,

Ken.

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Hi keniv,

Maybe you didn't put a Check in the "Ask me before clearing private data" box. The following screenshot shows the GUI (when I run Tools>Clear Private Data) superimposed over the screenshot to my Edit>Preferences>Security>Private Data setting.

Clear Private Data.png
Clear Private Data.png (122.87 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

About the unchecked items: Cookies and Off-Line Data get checked at the end of a session; during if I know I won't be revisiting a site. Saved Passwords is 'greyed-out' as I don't save passwords in any web-browser.
On closing, the GUI automatically appears as there's a check in the "Always clear my private data when I close SeaMonkey" box.

keniv

Post by keniv »

@mikeslr

Maybe you didn't put a Check in the "Ask me before clearing private data" box.

Yes you are right. Have just done that and now see the drop down menu when I click on Tools>Clear Private Data.

Saved Passwords is 'greyed-out' as I don't save passwords in any web-browser.

I do save some passwords rather than type them in each time but I've often wondered about which is more secure. I also know that it's possible to choose to keep some cookies and presumably this would get round the issue of saving passwords but I think on balance it's best to clear them all when the browser is closed.

Regards,

Ken.

joet12345

Post by joet12345 »

This FlaFox add-on works for Seamonkey (As far as I can tell) : https://flagfox.wordpress.com/download/

Attachments
1.png
1.png (24.85 KiB) Viewed 1647 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, all.

New releases for y'all. Here are Puppy-portables of v2.53.8 - 32- and 64-bit.

Available from the new link in post #1.....my MEGA.nz a/c.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

fredx181

Seamonkey-Portable64 appimage

Post by fredx181 »

Here's Seamonkey-Portable64 appimage (64-bit). Made from Mike's latest portable share (see Mike's previous post).
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=down ... hrv2xhpCr_ (make it executable before launching).

Will create 'sm-profile' (profile dir) at the same level of the appimage and should create a menu entry (once launched) 'Seamonkey-Portable64' in category 'Other'. (not really sure if it works on all Puppies, didn't test much yet)
EDIT: fixed that it didn't show in Menu (will appear now in category "Internet"), download link above replaced.

Fred

JASpup

Re: SeaMonkey 'portables' - 32- and 64-bit - v2.53.8

Post by JASpup »

I run 2.53.8.1 (Firefox 60?) as an .sfs and Google WON"T let me access Drive without an update.

Updated Xenial repository today still lists 2.49.

2.53.9 is the latest according to https://www.seamonkey-project.org/. :?

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

xenial

Post by xenial »

I am running portable seamonkey and it is a cracking little browser.Love the older looking interface.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Afternoon, gang.

Right. The SeaMonkey 'portables' have now had a re-vamp along the same lines as the other portable browsers. It's not my personal favourite, but I do try to keep it up-to-date and easily usable/available for you guys.

We're at v2.53.11. Only tested this in Fossapup64 so far, but YT/most non-DRM streaming stuff is behaving itself. Video AND audio are "playing nice", like as not due to the inclusion of the apulse libs, etc.

64- and 32-bit builds are available. I'll be testing the 32-bit version a bit later. Seamonkey is pretty forgiving, and should run alright in most Puppies that aren't too old, so there ya go.

----------------------------------------------

As always; d/l; unzip; move the portable's directory anywhere you like outside the save....../mnt/home is a good choice, or you can run these from a flash drive, or other external drive/partition. Click to enter, click 'LAUNCH' to fire it up.

Scripts permit the addition of a Menu entry from wherever the portable is located, making use of Puppy's powerful sym-linking abilities.

Available from the usual link in post #1.

Enjoy!

Mike. ;)

xenial

Re: SeaMonkey 'portables' - 32- and 64-bit - v2.53.11

Post by xenial »

Just to inform users of seamonkey that the browser does in fact update itself automatically now--help--check for updates. :thumbup2:

Not certain if users were aware so just a heads up. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

xenial wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:00 pm

Just to inform users of seamonkey that the browser does in fact update itself automatically now--help--check for updates. :thumbup2:

@xenial :-

A-ha. About time, too; it's a feature that's long overdue for SeaMonkey..!

Posting from the just-updated v2.53.11.1 now...

Thanks for the 'heads-up', mate. Ta!

Mike. :thumbup: ;)

norgo

Post by norgo »

xenial wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:00 pm

If updater is enabled for this version doesn't mean enabled for seamonkey general

Seamonkey auto-update is only enabled if
1. Seamonkey has been compiled with enabled updater feature ( configure options must not contain --disable-updater )
2. Checkbox automatically check for updates and checkbox automatically download and install has to be enabled

Also seamonkey doesn't need pulseaudio or apulse general
pulseaudio or apulse are needed only if seamonkey has been compiled with enabled pulseaudio feature

For information only ;-)

xenial

Post by xenial »

joet12345 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm

This FlaFox add-on works for Seamonkey (As far as I can tell) : https://flagfox.wordpress.com/download/

Don't think that version of flagfox receives updates anymore and the developer only really works on the webextension version for firefox and chrome.

gilles

Post by gilles »

Morning,
I installed the portable seamonkey 32 in Bionic 32
It works fine, except one problem : I cannot open my email www.gmx.co.uk When I click on log in, nothing open

xenial

Post by xenial »

gilles wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:55 am

Morning,
I installed the portable seamonkey 32 in Bionic 32
It works fine, except one problem : I cannot open my email www.gmx.co.uk When I click on log in, nothing open

More than likely gmx is user agent sniffing and seamonkey is probably forbidden as being outdated.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”