Blowing up Tahr with an adrv

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

Blowing up Tahr with an adrv

Post by JASpup »

I booted live for a nice custom setup, mainly for the purpose of supporting a newer Chromium by .sfs: viewtopic.php?p=25660#p25660

I made an adrv .sfs from the contents of initrd/mnt/pup_rw. It went smoothly.

The adrv wouldn't boot, coming to a login prompt at terminal. xwin from there booted a frozen desktop that wouldn't accept mouse or keyboard input, including ctrl-alt-backspace.

I rebooted to copy out the adrv for a pupsave (use it for one until I can get the adrv right). Creating the adrv .sfs was error-free, but copying the files out produces errors:

Code: Select all

cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/etc/modprobe.d/.wh.blacklist-modem.conf’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/etc/modprobe.d/.wh.blacklist-modem.conf'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/etc/init.d/.wh.ndiswrapper’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/etc/init.d/.wh.ndiswrapper'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/root/Startup/.wh.update-ca-certificates’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/root/Startup/.wh.update-ca-certificates'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/root/Startup/.wh.laptopcheck’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/root/Startup/.wh.laptopcheck'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/root/Startup/.wh.addmissinglinks3’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/root/Startup/.wh.addmissinglinks3'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/root/.wh.firstrun’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/root/.wh.firstrun'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-7/.wh..wh..opq’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/root/.config/xfce4/panel/launcher-7/.wh..wh..opq'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/usr/local/quickpet_precise/checks/.wh..wh..opq’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/usr/local/quickpet_precise/checks/.wh..wh..opq'
cp: failed to access ‘/root/adrv-2fs/.wh..wh.aufs’: Operation not permitted
Failed to copy '/mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/.wh..wh.aufs'
Copying /mnt/+mnt+sdb1+multiboot+X-tahr-2.0+adrv_xtahr_2.0.sfs/var/log/cups/error_log as /root/adrv-2fs/var/log/cups/error_log
ERROR: Operation not permitted
There were 11 errors.

It looks like a lot of them were produced by copying whiteout files.

I'm not sure how to merge the rest of the data with the system given recursive directories and whatnot, but I'm hoping I don't have to attempt to recreate this layer by scratch.

The ultimate goal is an adrv for a custom live boot that isn't a full remaster. This is X-Thar.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

JASpup

Re: Blowing up Tahr with an adrv

Post by JASpup »

Far too far out of my element, over sleep I starting imagining an initrd directory shouldn't be in an adrv with tmpfs copies of other system files and directories.

Attachments
adrv.png
adrv.png (52.58 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Linux Über Alles

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

I hate seeing people struggle so I'm going to help you here very briefly. When running in pupmode 13 it is extremely easy and safe to make an adrv of your savefile. Easy method: Reboot > left-click on the /initrd/pup_ro1 folder to open it > Highlight (select) all the contents > Right-Click on any of the items and run PackIt from the right-click menu to create your sfs > rename the sfs to the correct adrv name for your distribution and place it with your Puppy files > delete your old savefile and reboot with your adrv.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I made the mistake of choosing the rw directory from a PUPMODE 5 session.

If not a remaster, I should have made a pupsave first, then adrv.

I'm coming across odd instances of files not copying & SFS creation failures. I think these are system protections.

In Xenial I had the problem of merging the existing adrv, which I thought was Mainline default, but may be what ozsouth made for me when I experiencing wireless driver conflict.

If that's the case then the adrv I've been using would only be needed for wireless on one machine.

I wanna get live boots going so I can remove these USB boot media! They're warm!

amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 am

I hate seeing people struggle so I'm going to help you here very briefly. When running in pupmode 13 it is extremely easy and safe to make an adrv of your savefile. Easy method: Reboot > left-click on the /initrd/pup_ro1 folder to open it > Highlight (select) all the contents > Right-Click on any of the items and run PackIt from the right-click menu to create your sfs > rename the sfs to the correct adrv name for your distribution and place it with your Puppy files > delete your old savefile and reboot with your adrv.

Linux Über Alles

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

JASpup wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:40 am

I made the mistake of choosing the rw directory from a PUPMODE 5 session.

If not a remaster, I should have made a pupsave first, then adrv.

I'm coming across odd instances of files not copying & SFS creation failures. I think these are system protections.

In Xenial I had the problem of merging the existing adrv, which I thought was Mainline default, but may be what ozsouth made for me when I experiencing wireless driver conflict.

If that's the case then the adrv I've been using would only be needed for wireless on one machine.

I wanna get live boots going so I can remove these USB boot media! They're warm!

amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:41 am

If you want to operate without a savefile and save any changes to a new adrv at anytime, I'm willing to share the script with you that I use. If interested, let me know.

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:56 am

If you want to operate without a savefile and save any changes to a new adrv at anytime, I'm willing to share the script with you that I use. If interested, let me know.

Thanks for the offer.

Linux Über Alles

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

JASpup wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:13 am
amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:56 am

Thanks for the offer.

Okay, here goes. I assume you now want to operate without a savefile, gotten rid of your savefile and saved everything to an adrv. Have rebooted with the adrv. You can run the following script at anytime you want to make changes. It will replace your previous adrv automatically with a new adrv with your changes. This is my script I use for personal use.

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
ADRVSFS="$DISTRO_ADRVSFS"
WrkDir="/tmp/New"
NewAdrv="/mnt/sda3/$PSUBDIR/$ADRVSFS"
rm -r $WrkDir
wait
mkdir $WrkDir
cp -a /initrd/pup_a/* /initrd/pup_rw/*  $WrkDir
cd $WrkDir
rm -r ./dev ./mnt ./initrd ./sys ./tmp ./etc ./usr/share/doc/* ./root/.thumbnails/* ./root/.cache/* ./root/.Trash/* ./root/.XLOADED ./root/.pmusic ./var/log
alsactl --file /etc/asound.state store
cp -a /etc $WrkDir
rm $WrkDir/etc/.XLOADED  
rox -d $WrkDir
Xdialog -center -msgbox "Check and/or edit if necessary.  Click 'OK' when ready to proceed" 0 0
mksquashfs $WrkDir $NewAdrv -noappend -comp gzip
rox -D $WrkDir
rm -r $WrkDir
Xdialog -center -title "SUCCESS!!!"  --no-buttons -infobox "New $ADRVSFS created.  Exiting" 0 0 2000

exit 

You need to change the "NewAdrv="..." line with the correct path of your adrv. Depending on the size of your adrv, you may also want to change your working directory, ie. WrkDir="..."

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

I'm currently in X-Tahr on an internal Windows partition booted from USB live with a newly created adrv from the pupsave.

Can you explain what your script does in lay terms?

E.g., is a new adrv created from scratch, or is the existing adrv appended to?

amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am

Okay, here goes. I assume you now want to operate without a savefile, gotten rid of your savefile and saved everything to an adrv. Have rebooted with the adrv. You can run the following script at anytime you want to make changes. It will replace your previous adrv automatically with a new adrv with your changes. This is my script I use for personal use.

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
WrkDir="/tmp/New"
rm -r $WrkDir
wait
mkdir $WrkDir
cd $WrkDir
rm -r ./dev ./mnt ./initrd ./sys ./tmp ./etc ./usr/share/doc/* ./root/.thumbnails/* ./root/.cache/* ./root/.Trash/* ./root/.XLOADED ./root/.pmusic ./var/log
cp -a /etc $WrkDir
rm $WrkDir/etc/.XLOADED  
rox -d $WrkDir
Xdialog -center -msgbox "Check and/or edit if necessary.  Click 'OK' when ready to proceed" 0 0
rox -D $WrkDir
rm -r $WrkDir
Xdialog -center -title "SUCCESS!!!"  --no-buttons -infobox "New $ADRVSFS created.  Exiting" 0 0 2000

exit 

You need to change the "NewAdrv="..." line with the correct path of your adrv. Depending on the size of your adrv, you may also want to change your working directory, ie. WrkDir="..."

Linux Über Alles

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

JASpup wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:48 am

I'm currently in X-Tahr on an internal Windows partition booted from USB live with a newly created adrv from the pupsave.

Can you explain what your script does in lay terms?

E.g., is a new adrv created from scratch, or is the existing adrv appended to?

amethyst wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 7:39 am

#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
. /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
WrkDir="/tmp/New"
rm -r $WrkDir
wait
mkdir $WrkDir
cd $WrkDir
cp -a /etc $WrkDir
rm $WrkDir/etc/.XLOADED  
rox -d $WrkDir
rox -D $WrkDir
rm -r $WrkDir

exit 

Return to “Users”