Resize Personal Storage File not working

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

dustmitegerl

Resize Personal Storage File not working

Post by dustmitegerl »

Hi,

I use Fossapup64, on a usb flash drive, on a Lenovo Flex laptop.

I need to increase my personal storage. When I use the application to raise the storage capacity, it tells me it will take effect after a reboot.

I've tried doing so and saving during shutdown as well as without saving, but when it reboots the storage file isn't increased..

Anyone able to help me with this?

Last edited by dustmitegerl on Wed May 12, 2021 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikewalsh

Re: Resize Personal Storage File not working

Post by mikewalsh »

@dustmitegerl :-

This isn't really a "bug-report", as such, and would be better served in the 'Beginners' section, I feel. However, since we're here.....

One question, if I may? When you installed Puppy, did you format your flash-drive first.....or did you just install to the drive "as-is", as it came from the factory?

If so, then my guess would be that you're bumping up against the 4 GB flie-size thing, which is an inherent, built-in limitation of the FAT32 file-system. If you didn't re-format, you would only be offered the save-file, as opposed to the save-folder. The latter will expand or contract according to contents, up to whatever available space you have on your drive, but it requires a Linux file-system in order to function, y'see.....

If you're asking Puppy to go bigger than 4 GB on FAT32, it's a case of "no can do", I'm sorry to say..! :oops:

Mike. ;)

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

I use Bionic Pup, on a usb flash drive

which Bionicpup?
Bionicpup32 8.0 or Bionicpup64 8.0?

If the save file max size limit of 4GB, on a fat 32 format, is your problem.

You can free up some space in the save file by putting stuff outside of the save.
Put other things in /mnt/home
Documents, videos, downloaded stuff, images, etc.....
Anything that is not a setting or installed added program.

/mnt/home is the top layer of the file system not inside a directory/folder.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dustmitegerl

Post by dustmitegerl »

mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 am

This isn't really a "bug-report", as such, and would be better served in the 'Beginners' section, I feel. However, since we're here.....

One question, if I may? When you installed Puppy, did you format your flash-drive first.....or did you just install to the drive "as-is", as it came from the factory?

If so, then my guess would be that you're bumping up against the 4 GB flie-size thing, which is an inherent, built-in limitation of the FAT32 file-system. If you didn't re-format, you would only be offered the save-file, as opposed to the save-folder. The latter will expand or contract according to contents, up to whatever available space you have on your drive, but it requires a Linux file-system in order to function, y'see.....

If you're asking Puppy to go bigger than 4 GB on FAT32, it's a case of "no can do", I'm sorry to say..! :oops:

Mike. ;)

Aaah i think this probably is the problem. I believe I formatted it? But I used Rufus, which I think used FAT32 as the format. Heck.

Umm, is it possible, if I reformat it, to move all my sfs's so that my personal data is kept? Or is there a way to convert my save data from a folder to a file? I don't know much about the architecture and stuff involved, so advice is appreciated

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

which Bionicpup?
Bionicpup32 8.0 or Bionicpup64 8.0?

Do you have another USB, that you could setup with a Linux format, and use installers in Bionicpup to do the install?

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

dustmitegerl

Post by dustmitegerl »

My bad, actually Fossapup64, forgot i upgraded

dustmitegerl

Post by dustmitegerl »

I think this is solved, pretty sure my usb is FAT32-formatted, gonna reformat+install so that I can use the whole drive.

thanks everyone ^~^

dustmitegerl

Post by dustmitegerl »

dustmitegerl wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 10:42 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:25 am

Mike. ;)

Aaah i think this probably is the problem. I believe I formatted it? But I used Rufus, which I think used FAT32 as the format. Heck.

Umm, is it possible, if I reformat it, to move all my sfs's so that my personal data is kept? Or is there a way to convert my save data from a folder to a file? I don't know much about the architecture and stuff involved, so advice is appreciated

Nvm, I figured out backups. Thanks again for informing me about fat32 file size limit

Return to “Bug Reports”