Something is wrong with the LUKS opening and closing done by puppy Event manager

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Jafadmin

Re: Something is wrong with the LUKS opening and closing done by puppy Event manager

Post by Jafadmin »

@April :roll:
Those icons were never designed to handle crypto or any other special purpose mounting. The devs made it prompt for a password if it could detect a crypto filesystem, as a convenience and a "marketing gimmick". It certainly was NOT intended to be a serious crypto volume management tool.

We get complaints all the time because those icons don't always label the same disks by the same device names. Unix doesn't work like that. It "dynamically" names drives based upon when they become fully active and stabilize.

Those icons should NEVER be the method you use for mounting and managing special purpose volumes (backup, data, crypto, etc ..).

Your boat has a rudder. THAT's what steers the boat. Not ur ipad. Not Otto .. Your rudder ..

We get it that you want them there icons to do what YOU want them to DO, and dammit, your RIGHT!! However .. Them there icons do be what they is, and that's what they were intended to be. :smoochies:

April

Re: Something is wrong with the LUKS opening and closing done by puppy Event manager

Post by April »

Mmm well clearly you believe that and of course what you say is true .
However what steers my boat is me.
The rudder does what I tell it to do or else it gets fixed.

Graphical User Interfaces of any kind are what the users use because the complexity of command line programs can be simplified and understood more readily.

Icons are a GUI of course .
When I mount a LUKS partition on a USB stick Puppy notices it is not a normal partition and drops a text box for the user to enter the pass phrase. Note that it is not very polished and, if you tick the tick box to show the letters , focus on the pass phrase textbox is lost and you must click back into it to regain focus and continue .

Now if it can do that in the coding somewhere then it can surely unmount it with full LUKS commands properly too. As you and I say it does not , but it should!

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

April wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:30 am

Now if it can do that in the coding somewhere then it can surely unmount it with full LUKS commands properly too. As you and I say it does not , but it should!

That is the beauty of Linux and FOSS. Jump right in there and "Make it so, Number One" .. Make the toaster butter your bread ..

(Hint from a dev: It is programmatically assumed that once you mount the crypto volume, you will probably leave it there until shutdown, like all other drives. Shutdown closes everything gracefully, or forces it ..)

If you just want to "yank it out" and have everything be "Ok", that takes more than a mere icon is designed to do ..

The reason I have a problem relating to your quandary is because I don't use those icons except for notification. I rarely use them to mount anything. I have serious tools for mounting. I use those ..

April

Post by April »

(Hint from a dev: It is programmatically assumed that once you mount the crypto volume, you will probably leave it there until shutdown, like all other drives. Shutdown closes everything gracefully, or forces it ..)

If you just want to "yank it out" and have everything be "Ok", that takes more than a mere icon is designed to do ..

Well...? I dunno I agree with that . I've got a github a/c too and I get into a little bit of development too but obviously not with your depth or expertise .

I would not assume that ,and the puppy event handler does not either it seems . Normal usb sticks can be pulled at any point and the icons are removed . I think the directory is removed also .At least I don't think you can read files in that directory after the usb is pulled.

But can you help me find at least where in the event manager code is that green square created or managed ? At least then I can go have a look at the script for insight myself just to satisfy my curiosity.. Please?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

williwaw

Post by williwaw »

in my flavor, the overlay icon is "closebox_outline48.png" and it can be found in /usr/share/midi-icons with a visual search. yours will be different no doubt, but having the name of the icon that comprises the little green box can give you a string to grep the script with?

April

Post by April »

Thanks ,got it searching now.
Its in /usr/local/lib/x11/pixmaps/ too along with the mounted ,unmount,and mounted root so were getting closer.

April

Post by April »

Ahh Crikey .

Had a problem with Cups server which I had to sort quickly so I fired up Fossapup

Would you believe it , the icons are the same of course but opening and closing a LUKS partition works
The little green icon un mounts it and away goes the main Icon.

I reckon behind the scenes here is the most amusing part .
Thanks anyway for that . Now if I can just work out how you did that I will do it in xenial too if you don't get around to it or maybe you might tell me ???.

April

Post by April »

Again thanks to all suggestions .

The only reference I could find to "closebox_outline48.png" was in the file /usr/sbin/icon_switcher .
So I had a look and its around lines 45-50 in xenial pup . So As Fossapup works I figured there must be a difference so I compared both files . This is not my forte area so I don't really know what I'm doing but I found major differences as per the screenshot here .

Icon switcher 1.png
Icon switcher 1.png (327.04 KiB) Viewed 285 times

So I can see one "-n" change that looks promising so Ill first try just swapping the file in Xenialpup64-7.5 and see what happens there.

April

Post by April »

Well with the new script file from fossa it all seems to work the same but regretably clicking the little green icon to close just keeps opening new filer windows so the hunt is still on .

Maybe I'll load Fossapup64-9.1 and have a search in there for "closebox_outline48.png."

April

Post by April »

JakeSFR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:50 am

It's just an ugly side effect.
The newline is there, so ROX drive icons can show a partition label in the next line (if you have this feature enabled in Eventmanager and partitions actually have labels).
Yes I understand what you mean by the new line now.
Here's the original PR: https://github.com/puppylinux-woof-CE/w ... 0R209-R215

I've done the same later in Fatdog:

Greetings!

And Greetings to you too.
Sorry JakeSFR I just completely missed your post and just saw it now . I looked at the github link but thats a bit deep atm for me . Do you think it might be the reason the unmount on a LUKS partition works in Fossapup64 but not in Xenialpup64? Iv'e got to be close now.

JakeSFR

Post by JakeSFR »

April wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 7:20 am

And Greetings to you too.
Sorry JakeSFR I just completely missed your post and just saw it now . I looked at the github link but thats a bit deep atm for me . Do you think it might be the reason the unmount on a LUKS partition works in Fossapup64 but not in Xenialpup64? Iv'e got to be close now.

I doubt it has anything to do with your problem; (un)locking LUKS partitions was implemented in ROX drive icons long after this modification.

Anyway, I tried opening/closing LUKS encrypted SD card in both Xenial and Fossa, and it looks like the unmounting is simply broken (or not implemented) in Xenial.

Maybe you should talk to 666philb/Woof-CE devs about creating some update package for Xenial with newer Woof-CE code, so it could handle LUKS partitions better?
However, from what I saw, a lot has changed in pup_event subsystem between Xenial and Fossa, so I don't think backporting recent scripts would be a trivial task...

Greetings!

[O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource
Omnia mea mecum porto.

Return to “Users”