Replacing the adrv in a Bionicpup32 ISO without making it non-hybrid

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Catyak

Replacing the adrv in a Bionicpup32 ISO without making it non-hybrid

Post by Catyak »

I know this is a somewhat technical subject for a post in this subforum, but this is my first post, and better to be safe than sorry.

My aim here is to replace the light browser in a Bionicpup32 8.0 image (technically created from the nicOS manual build script) with another browser (chromium-ubb) through replacing the adrv in the ISO file. I want to replace it this way because I want this image to have only one browser, and this seems to be the way to do that per documentation and the old forum. The problem is that the intended destination of these images is a USB drive, (because I don't want to burn 5 or 6 DVDs for each revision, and I don't have DVD-RW media on hand) and using the built-in ISOMaster editor to replace the adrv causes the image to shed its hybrid nature, and makes it unusable to make a bootable USB drive. I'm curious if there is any program that can edit hybrid ISO files without removing the hybrid sector in the process, for either other Linux distributions or Windows, let alone Puppy Linux.

rockedge
Site Admin

Re: Replacing the adrv in a Bionicpup32 ISO without making it non-hybrid

Post by rockedge »

You can replace the adrv.sfs in the iso using an iso editor or mount / extract the iso then swap the sfs file and re-create a new ISO

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

You need to provide more information on how you Intend to create the USB Flash drive. Creating it like burning a CD using image writing software will create Read Only media, so you can't edit it. If you use software like frugalpup installer, it creates a writable USB flash that you can change the adrv or other components or add other components easily.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

Catyak

Post by Catyak »

The issue was me being just being too clever by half. I was trying to replace light by taking an image created from a system with a light adrv and replacing it afterwards, not realizing that action wouldn't automatically change the default browser settings over to chromium and instead display a reminder dialog. Instead I should have changed the frugal install I was using to make the remaster to have chromium in the adrv instead of light, and the defaults set accordingly. Thanks for the (limited) help.

Catyak

Post by Catyak »

I tried the above (replacing the adrv in a frugal install with the chromium-ubb SFS file, then remastering from that frugal install) on the system (Virtual machine inside of VMWare Workstation 16 Player) I was remastering from, and while it worked on the system I was remastering from, the chromium-ubb as adrv didn't work in the end remaster, with chrome failing to launch on the remaster (as flashed to a USB drive) with this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libgtk-3.so.0)

My guess is that either the remaster script (the nicOS manual remaster script) did something weird with the adrv, or I did something wrong and missed some detail that is needed for the chromium adrv to work. (or this method can't work for some reason)

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

Look in the PPM for gtk-3 and install it to get it to work. You will have to have the dependencies for chromium otherwise built into the adrv.sfs file system.

perdido

Post by perdido »

Catyak wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:44 pm

with this error:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/chromium-browser/chrome: /lib/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.29' not found (required by /usr/lib/chromium-browser/libgtk-3.so.0)

It appears to me.....
The GLIBC in Bionic 32 is version 2.27 . The chromium is wanting GLIBC_2.29

Edit: Just checking peebee's other 32-bit releases, he has 3 later 32-bit operating systems that should run that chromium.
FocalPup32 has GLIBC_2.31
GroovyPup32 has GLIBC_2.32
HirsutePup32 is latest, its newer than Groovy so has at least GLIBC_2.32

They are all listed here
viewforum.php?f=144

I believe they all have Light browser the same as Bionic.

--

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

FYI "adrv_upbb_19.03.sfs" is just the name given to an SFS so that upbb would automatically copy its contents into RAM on boot-up. Its contents could be anything. But for a Puppy to automatically use it it’s name must follow this naming convention adrv_PUPPY-VERSION_VERSION-NUMBER.sfs. I refer to such an SFS as an ‘alphabet.sfs’ on this post, viewtopic.php?p=9804#p9804 to distinguish it from named sfs whose name reflects its contents. Read that entire, short, thread for information about taersh’s application for using alphabet.sfs other than the four default a/f/y/z SFSes.

(1) Left-Click upbb’s ISO to mount it. Copy ALL its contents into a folder. I’d name the folder to distinguish it from the stock “upbb’: perhaps, bionicpup32-8.0-26my. Delete the adrv_upbb_19.03.sfs.
(2) Creating the Replacement adrv: Create a folder named just adrv_upbb_19.03. Check spelling, capitalization and punctuation. Linux is sensitive.
If you want to stick with bionicpup32 you have a couple of choices. You can use an appropriate 32-bit pet or SFS you’ll find in the Additional Software Section, and any 32bit portable you’ll find there. I don’t know of any recent 32-bit Chromiums. My preference would be to use either the 32-bit portable Iron or Vivaldi (chromium clones) or the portable firefox-esr. (‘esr’ is mozilla’s designation for a long term release).
(a) If you want to use a pet, download it. Right-Click a pet and select UExtract or Extract-pet from the pop-up menu. If the folder created ends with the word “extracted”, look within it for the folder it contains without that ending. Copy the contents --files and folders-- of that folder into the adrv_upbb_19.03 folder. Right-Click the adrv_upbb_19.03 folder and select “Create sfs package”.
(b) If you select an SFS you can just Right-Click and rename it adrv_upbb_19.03.sfs.
(c) To use a portable will take a little more effort the first time, but will provide the most up-to-date browser and no greater effort if in the future you choose to up-date it. Download a portable’s tar.gz, Right-Click and extract it. Note was written above about the ‘extracted’ ending. Within the adrv_upbb_19.03 folder create an opt folder. Drag & drop the web-browser’s folder into opt. Being portables you can run them from anywhere and they will place their profiles –bookmarks, addons-- within their own folder. So this is your opportunity to make any adjustments you want to have available on all installations. Start the application. [See the respective threads for how, and make a mental-note as to which file (executable) you click to do so]. Clear cache before proceeding as ‘cache’ is also within the profiles folder and there’s no reason to preserve it.
I’ve attached a tar.gz you can use to create a menu entry for iron-portable located in /opt. Just extract the tar.gz and move the folders within into your adrv_upbb_19.03 folder. Make sure the iron folder in /opt is named Iron-portable with a capital ‘I’.
You can also use the contents of this tar.gz as a template for creating menu entries for other web-browsers.
When you’ve completed building the adrv folder Right-Click it and select Create .sfs Package.
(3) Then copy the created adrv_upbb_19.03.sfs into the bionicpup32-8.0-26my folder. Right-Click that folder and select Packit. In the Packit GUI’s left panel click the button adjacent to mkisofs. Selecting a compression setting in the Pass 2 panel is optional. All puppys can decompress gzip, newer xz but you can also choose nothing. So configured, Packit will generate an ISO.
Hopefully the attached screenshot will clear up any questions. The top-left shows the bionicpup32-8.0-26my folder; the bottom its contents. And the Top-Right shows Packit's GUI with mkisofs selected.

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (137.42 KiB) Viewed 363 times
Iron-in-opt-menu.tar.gz
Decompress tar.gz; move contents to top of adrv folder
(4.42 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
peebee

Post by peebee »

ChromiumUBB.sfs works fine when installed as an adrv in BionicPup32:

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (80.98 KiB) Viewed 342 times

I cannot see how a remaster could cause Chromium to want a later version of glibc!

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Return to “Beginners Help”