Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

JASpup

Any JWM version support multi-row tray launchers? [SOLVED]

Post by JASpup »

XFCE feature:

xfce-panel2.png
xfce-panel2.png (30.95 KiB) Viewed 432 times
Last edited by JASpup on Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

On the Whiz-Neophyte Bridge
Linux Über Alles
Disclaimer: You may not be reading my words as posted.

taersh

Re: Any JWM version support multi-row tray launchers?

Post by taersh »

Perhaps not exactly what you mean, though:

In /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal insert this line:

Code: Select all

<TrayStyle group="true"/>

right after

Code: Select all

<JWM>

Right-clicking such grouped elements will give a menu like it is in your picture.

Otherwise you can create your own menu with multiple items...
...like the Places menu - you recall?

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@JASpup :-

.....or there's the way I do it. I'll place an icon - in this case, in the notification area over on the right - which, when I right-click it, will give me a menu of items to launch. Like this:-

You, I assume, would prefer it over on the left-hand side, so as to make it as much like XFCE as possible? I'd need to think about that one. Anyway, if you're interested, the scripting is pretty simple as it is....

I'll even share it if you want.!

Mike. ;)

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

@taersh different but similar? I'll check it out.

Does it matter which Puppy?

Tahr32 JWM just has the single tray. Xenial has the 2nd, but only single launchers.

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 pm

@JASpup :-

.....or there's the way I do it. I'll place an icon - in this case, in the notification area over on the right - which, when I right-click it, will give me a menu of items to launch.

Looks handy, and I don't mean your phone (har har... taersh joke).

I understand some things intuitively (or think I do), but I've been reading about device fingerprinting and trackers, and to an extent it's tied to specific browsers and configs.

There are a few, but that's one of the biggest reasons I use multiple browsers.

I'm aiming for a setup where that's fluid - keep the default browser or ax it, then have many standalones and SFS on tap.

I use other apps 'course, but I'm basically looking to config a bunch of browsers for fluid use.

Hundreds of posts later, I'm still not there... struggling each boot.

Something as basic as a desktop folder with launchers therein would even work (haven't tried it yet).

I can customize a default JWM look I like, but it can be distracting and time-consuming. When I know I won't need JWM and just want to do some basic 32 computing, it's X-Tahr.

To think of it, JWM runs Thunar, App Finder, its triumphant terminal and other XFCE apps well... maybe the XFCE panel to boot? :idea:

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

taersh wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:47 pm

Otherwise you can create your own menu with multiple items...
...like the Places menu - you recall?

I remember before I became frustrated. For that customization to work Event Manager partitions need to be activated, which defeats the purpose.

We don't need drives in a tray menu when they're sitting on the desktop. I was hoping to clean up the desktop.

I will save it for Slacko 6 nostalgia.

Linux Über Alles

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

This is Tahr JWM.

Early stages it appears XFCE panels can replace or co-exist with JWM trays in Puppy and enable 2-trays in Tahr.

15M with dependencies for a fresh install. < 10M with the other XFCE utils I use.

I'll have to learn how to populate XFCE menus with all available apps & how to hide/disable extraneous trays/panels.

Attachments
2panel-JWM-XFCE.png
2panel-JWM-XFCE.png (19.37 KiB) Viewed 367 times

Linux Über Alles

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

JASpup wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 am

Something as basic as a desktop folder with launchers therein would even work (haven't tried it yet).

Heh. That's another 'stunt' I've been pulling ever since my XP days.....WAY back when.

I don't mind busy desktops, unlike many here. I'm not keen on digging around in multi-nest menus, and I'm one of those who get on better with visual 'stimuli' rather than reading thru a bunch of text. So; to keep a busy desktop neat & tidy - not overcrowded (don't like that, either!) - while at the same time providing access to as many items as possible, I long ago evolved the method whereby a single desktop icon, when clicked upon, will open a file manager window containing multiple launcher 'shortcuts'. When not in use, there's just a single icon representing those launchers. Like the following:-

Despite more than doubling my screen real estate this last 18 months, that doesn't mean lots more room for stuff on-screen! I'm pushing 60 this year, have always had bad eyesight - worn specs for almost 55 of them - and instead run everything perhaps 20-25% larger than it used to be, to reduce eyestrain. Why not?

Might give you some ideas, maybe not.....

Mike. ;)

taersh

Re: Any JWM version support multi-row tray launchers? [SOLVED]

Post by taersh »

JASpup wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:30 am

Attached is a screenshot of my icon setup of the Video desktop. There you can see an icon for KdenLive (Video). Clicking that icon will start KdenLive.

Screenshot1.jpg
Screenshot1.jpg (42.99 KiB) Viewed 350 times

But when I'm right-clicking that icon it offers a context menu with a category showing all Video editing programs. This is done by the use of so-called RoxApps.

Screenshot2.jpg
Screenshot2.jpg (111.32 KiB) Viewed 350 times

A RoxApp is simply a directory including a XML file AppInfo.xml plus a script AppRun. Examples for RoxApps can be found in /usr/local/apps.

My Music:
https://soundcloud.com/user-633698367
Using my own build of Bionic64
The far-left is as fascist as the far-right is!

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

The Rox window with a bunch of launchers for the same type of app is probably my direction.

Two clicks is better than a cluttery desktop or wrestling with non-standard panels, though I do wonder what's possible.

It's also easier than customizing JWM menus.

Obviously JWM renders differently than XFCE, but that's less an issue than the customization required to make them operate similarly. Thunar is like that. As standard in XFCE the functional differences stand out. JWM probably requires another XFCE app to customize its panels.

I'll use the 2nd panel dropdowns in XFCE.

I start think about what's possible before realizing I don't want to try, because the end goal is to actually do things and not customize all the time, even though with enough work you can create a Puppy so good other users would want it.

It can't be too technical or esoteric, because then others have barriers and have to get around your thinking.

Generally, most of my aims are easy, they're just non-standard, like forum 8 pages to send a simple encrypted message.

Linux Über Alles

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

JASpup wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:11 pm

The Rox window with a bunch of launchers for the same type of app is probably my direction.

Two clicks is better than a cluttery desktop or wrestling with non-standard panels, though I do wonder what's possible.

It's also easier than customizing JWM menus.

Obviously JWM renders differently than XFCE, but that's less an issue than the customization required to make them operate similarly. Thunar is like that. As standard in XFCE the functional differences stand out. JWM probably requires another XFCE app to customize its panels.

I'll use the 2nd panel dropdowns in XFCE.

I start think about what's possible before realizing I don't want to try, because the end goal is to actually do things and not customize all the time, even though with enough work you can create a Puppy so good other users would want it.

It can't be too technical or esoteric, because then others have barriers and have to get around your thinking.

Generally, most of my aims are easy, they're just non-standard, like forum 8 pages to send a simple encrypted message.

@JASpup You have marked this as solved, but I just saw @HerrBert's desktop post and that shows an excellent display of what you requested in this thread.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

JASpup

Post by JASpup »

TerryH wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:18 pm

@JASpup You have marked this as solved, but I just saw @HerrBert's desktop post and that shows an excellent display of what you requested in this thread.

I'll look for your reference.

The way rox works with its pop-up windows is perfect for an array of launchers that can minimize desktop icons while still keeping all frequently used apps in easy reach.

This is my JWM future:

rox-launch.png
rox-launch.png (28.95 KiB) Viewed 303 times

The open window is the places folder. Browse is really a folder with 6 browser launchers.

I have two more in Tahr (this is Xenial). Leafpad is in apps. System is the fourth (JWMdesk, PPM, etc.).

There is a new problem:

When Puppy swaps the disks, the launchers don't work. I need an a/b alternative for everything not installed.

Booting is like gambling with 50/50 odds. Otherwise this works great and I should have figured it out months ago.

Linux Über Alles

Return to “Users”