MediaInfo in Xenialpup64-7.5

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

April

MediaInfo in Xenialpup64-7.5

Post by April »

I downloaded MediaInfo from PPM and it installed in "/usr/bin" without making a menu entry so I had to find the command which was "mediainfo" surprisingly.

I tried however to pass the file name of the video I was wanting to look at and did not work out how to get that there in rox.

I right clicked on "send to".
Used "customise" to symlink /usr/bin/mediainfo into the "send to" menu but got stuck there as "$@" would not send the chosen file.

So if I right click on a file in rox isn't the filename supposed to be the first parameter $0 in variables returned ?

Is there a catch?

The Australian State Governments have all enacted laws to steal your assets on your death. All legal paperwork is binned and all assets seized on one disgruntled child's complaint.Move them well before you die or go into a home.

ThruHammer

Re: MediaInfo in Xenialpup64-7.5

Post by ThruHammer »

April, you're almost there. You may have installed only the command-line program. Go back and grab the GUI version in addition, then you could pass "mediainfo-gui" to Open With...

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

A lot of the stuff in the PPM is from, other Linux OS's, repositories.
They tend to have pieces of a program, to download, along with the actual, full program.
It is easy to not get, everything needed.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:22 pm

April, you're almost there. You may have installed only the command-line program.

Seems to be that this is what he wants to use:

April wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:01 pm

my question is more about coding in rox and command line .

I don't know mediainfo. I'm a simple guy and try to use what's already available, and ffprobe (or avprobe), included in all Puppies, gives me already more info than I can digest If mediainfo writes to stdout, would't it be sufficient to pipe the output to a program that can read the piped stuff, e.g. leafpad of gxmessage? In ROX-Filer this woud mean select a media file, press Shift+!, then write into the command box mediainfo "$@" | leafpad and press enter. Similar approach for a right-click script. Just guessing...

BTW: For trying this with ffprobe the line in ROX-Filer needs to be ffprobe "$@" 2>&1 | leafpad

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@April :-

Simplest way to run this is via the AppImage. I cannot for the life of me remember where these came from - and currently the old Forum is "down" while Rockedge is continuing to re-build/upgrade/consolidate domains, databases, etc, so I can't access the old thread where I know the info is! - but I remember mikeslr was the one who found them. You can get this from my MediaFire a/c, here:-

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/yvqj7z ... /MediaInfo

Quite small - 14 MB or so. Download the one you want, make it executable (rt-clk->Properties->tick the 'Execute' checkboxes down the bottom->Refresh->OK).......then just click to run it.

----------------------------

@MochiMoppel :-

Very neat way of doing it, mate. I gave this a try on a video file; initially, nothing happened. I had a look in /usr/bin; sure enough, ffmpeg was the tiny, minimalist version that comes OOTB with Puppy. After I'd replaced this with one of John van Sickle's 'static' ffmpeg builds - Fred discovered these a couple of years back, and I've used them ever since - whoooah!

INFORMATION OVERLOAD!! :shock: :D

As you say, there's everything there you could possibly want.....and then some. I rather suspect MediaInfo is more or less running the same kind of commands, TBH.

EDIT:- Having extracted the AppImage and taken a look inside, I see the bulk of that 14 MB or so is taken up by one single dependency, libmediainfo.so.0.....which runs out at nearly 9 MB. Most of the rest of it is the wx_widgets 'toolkit', used for building the GUI.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Hello Mochi, please, the purpose of "2>&1" in your ffprobe line?

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

mikewalsh wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:38 am

I gave this a try on a video file; initially, nothing happened. I had a look in /usr/bin; sure enough, ffmpeg was the tiny, minimalist version that comes OOTB with Puppy. After I'd replaced this with one of John van Sickle's 'static' ffmpeg builds - Fred discovered these a couple of years back, and I've used them ever since - whoooah!

In MMview the same ffprobe (not ffmpeg) output is automatically displayed in the viewer pane when you select a video file. Does Xenialpup64-7.5 really require the ffmpeg replacement you are talking about?

ThruHammer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:46 am

Hello Mochi, please, the purpose of "2>&1" in your ffprobe line?

ffprobe oddly writes to stderr and not to the usual stdout. Some regard this as a bug, but it may be intentional . Anyway, before piping the output to leafpad it has to be redirected from stderr (descriptor 2) to stdout (descriptor 1)

One more thing when using the ROX-Filer command box: After pressing Enter the box disappears and has to be opened again with another Shift+! for the next file. Pretty annoying. At least the command history can be retrieved by using the Up key, similar to the Up key in a terminal window, so the last command does not need to be retyped.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@MochiMoppel :-

TBH, I don't know if it does or not. All I know is that I was attempting to do something via ffmpeg a couple of years ago, it wasn't behaving itself, and upon checking it turned out the particular function I was attempting to use hadn't been compiled into it at build time. Shortly afterwards, Fred discovered & published about these pre-compiled 'static builds'; I tried replacing it, and it all behaved itself. So I've left it in, and have been using it ever since.

I realise that 30-odd MB is one hell of a lot bigger than 300 KB, but as I've remarked before on the Forum, this modern box I'm now using, with 32 GB of DDR4, is hardly a typical 'Puppy' machine any longer. But I stay with Puppy because I really like it, and I'm beginning to get so's I know what I'm doing with it. At least, I think I do.... :oops: :D

(*shrug*)

------------------------------------------

In MMview the same ffprobe (not ffmpeg) output is automatically displayed in the viewer pane when you select a video file.

Aye; you're right..! It does. Hm. I now have MM_View installed in most Puppies, but I tend to use it more for text documents & graphic images. I hadn't realised - until I tried it just now - that it did this. Useful. Thanks for the "heads-up". :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Return to “Users”