Creating a Memorial and History Page for J.Murga

Ideas and discussion

rockedge
Site Admin

Creating a Memorial and History Page for J.Murga

Post by rockedge »

Calling for help to build an extra page for the newly converted Murga Forum that will be a tribute to John Murga and something about the history of the Puppy Linux Forum.

I am hoping that the Community's creativity and attention to detail will design a page or have ideas on how it should look and what it should say. With input especially from those of you who have been a part of these forums since 2005.

The memorial/history page will be built in the same manner as the license and cookie's pages.

Ideas and designs welcome!

Dingo

Re: Creating a Memorial and History Page for J.Murga

Post by Dingo »

rockedge wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:39 pm

Calling for help to build an extra page for the newly converted Murga Forum that will be a tribute to John Murga and something about the history of the Puppy Linux Forum.

I am hoping that the Community's creativity and attention to detail will design a page or have ideas on how it should look and what it should say. With input especially from those of you who have been a part of these forums since 2005.

The memorial/history page will be built in the same manner as the license and cookie's pages.

Ideas and designs welcome!

I'm using puppy since 2007.

Can we write some lines of poetry? I'm a poet and ghostwriter and I would be pleased to donate some lines in memory of puppy forum mantainer during these long years

wizard

Post by wizard »

I have no artistic ability and am no poet, but here are my thoughts.

In the world of puppy linux, John Murga was a sheep dog. He unselfishly herded what I believe is one of the best and most helpful linux forums on the web. Over the years I've received help from forum members from all over the world, and sometimes it came from John himself. Somehow, in his busy family and professional life, he found time to lend his expertise to fix a puppy problem for a user on the other side of the planet.

Here's to you MU!

wizard
puppy user since 2003

Big pile of OLD computers

Grey

Post by Grey »

I've started using Puppy on a full-time basis since Tahr. But I read an old forum maybe 12 years ago and used Puppy 2.17, Lucid, Wary and Racy from time to time.
It would be nice if someone wrote a short essay or feature article about John's life. Maybe even someone on the forum knew him personally.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

tosim

Post by tosim »

IMHO, this is a great idea. At the moment, sorry I can't think of something I could contribute to this.

keniv

Post by keniv »

I also think this is a great idea but I think those that are able to contribute to what will be written would need to know more of the man than I do but I think there will be many on this forum who like myself used the old forum and feel they owe him a great debt. Perhaps something along these lines could be included as well.

Regards,

Ken.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

To Puppy Linux users he needs no introduction. In 2005 John set up the Puppy Linux Discussion Forum

John's generosity created a very valuable resource, not just for the Puppy Linux community but the Linux community in general. It certainly inspired many Puppy fans to dig deeper into Linux including my self. Thank you.

Yes Amazing that forum went for 15 years with a lot of history - the software running it was pretty old but hey it still ran pretty well considering the demands on it.

Learned a lot from that community.

John de Murga. The man who hosted, and paid for the Murga-Linux Forum out of his own pocket for nearly 16 years, and without whom the current Puppy Linux membership wouldn't have become what it is today.

JM spent many years as an analyst/programmer in the banking sector, and was single-handedly responsible for some of the sector's cornerstone software which is still in use today. His final years were spent in Singapore, where work had taken him and his family.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Forum Organization & Structure Council”