Attachment corruption (Solved)

Post here if you feel others can duplicate your so discovered "bug"

Moderator: Forum moderators

puppy_apprentice

Attachment corruption (Solved)

Post by puppy_apprentice »

Could anybody verify if arachnophilia screenshot is invisible in this my post.
I wanted to attach more than 3 screenshots in one post and i think that arachnophilia screenshot became corrupted because of this.

Flash

Re: Attachment corruption

Post by Flash »

I assume you mean the "arachnophilia.jpg" attachment. I downloaded it to have a look and it's just a purple rectangle. Delete it from your post and redo it. Take a look at the .jpg before you upload it, to make sure it's what you think.

Chaos coordinator :?
Makoto

Post by Makoto »

Just as a suggestion - feel free to ignore it - but if you're going to be working with a lot of images in your posts, you might consider uploading them to an image-hosting service and linking them into the posts, instead. I don't recall ever having the best of luck with multiple image attachments in a forum post, though I'll admit the last time I tried was some years ago.

For example, I use imgur. (I know others, like Mike Walsh, use different hosts that I can't remember off the top of my head, so I'll leave it to them to suggest other alternatives.) Unless they've changed it, you don't even need an account to upload images. Just copy the "Direct" link imgur gives, and use the [img][/img] tags to add the images to your post, like this:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/44ZLbsp.png[/img]

(an old image I uploaded for use in a post)

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

NightKnight2

Post by NightKnight2 »

All looks ok from here :thumbup: (seamonkey32 v2.49.1)

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

NightKnight2 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:44 am

All looks ok from here :thumbup: (seamonkey32 v2.49.1)

Psst...apprentice uploaded a corrected image after Flash's post. Certainly would be nice of him to tell us.

NightKnight2

Post by NightKnight2 »

@MochiMoppel oopsss sorry mate :oops: I didn't realized that. I should have checked his last updated time in the post shouldn't I lol. Told you before am only a newbie :oops: , far too much to learn. Thanks once again :thumbup2:

puppy_apprentice

MochiMoppel wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:09 am

Psst...apprentice uploaded a corrected image after Flash's post. Certainly would be nice of him to tell us.

The image was good for a moment, before i tried to add more screenshots for other java programs. I think that there is a limit of attachments in one post (max 3) but i wanted add more. There was no warning about that so I've tried a few time to upload new attachments. I think that third attachment (it was arachnophilia.jpg) was overwritten in the database by later uploads. I can't check if this is forum error because i have currently only Edge (2g) connection.

Grey

Post by Grey »

puppy_apprentice wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:25 pm

I think that there is a limit of attachments in one post (max 3) but i wanted add more.

Yes, the three-picture limit makes me sad. In a recent post I had to attach three images directly and place the other three on the image hosting. I forget to ask admin if it is possible to remove such a restriction.
From image hosting sites I like https://postimages.org/ They have an app, but it's only for Windows. But even without it everything on the site is convenient. Although the app just adds the 'Send to' feature to Windows Explorer. I vaguely feel that it is possible to add this feature to all Puppy flavors.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

puppy_apprentice wrote:

I think that there is a limit of attachments in one post (max 3) but i wanted add more. There was no warning about that so I've tried a few time to upload new attachments.

Yes, there is a limit of 3 attachments (images and/or files), and there is a warning. Hard to miss. So where is the bug?

Attachments
limitwarning.png
limitwarning.png (25.81 KiB) Viewed 340 times
MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

Grey wrote:

Yes, the three-picture limit makes me sad. In a recent post I had to attach three images directly and place the other three on the image hosting. I forget to ask admin if it is possible to remove such a restriction.

I understand that there must be a limit but I don't understand why there is a strange size limit. I sometimes want to show a couple of small dialogs and instead of uploading 4 images (which is not possible) I stitch them together into 1 image. This results is an efficient, vertically long image. When I try the forum software tells me that this also is not possible:

The image must be at least 0 pixels wide, 0 pixels high and at most 1200 pixels wide and 800 pixels high. The submitted image is 300 pixels wide and 810 pixels high.

This limit makes no sense to me, and not only because of the 0 pixels minimum.
@rockedge : Would it be possible to remove this restriction and allow images taller than 800px? Not urgent, but would help me a lot.

Makoto

Re: Attachment corruption (Solved)

Post by Makoto »

You know, with an image-hosting site, you wouldn't have any limit on the amount of images you can add to a post. :) (Or the image sizes, although to be nice to others, don't add any giant HD images to a post...)

[ FossaPup64 9.5, Frugal install ]

puppy_apprentice

The bug is if the forum script allow overwrite/corrupt last (third, id=0) picture despite of warning (my post was quite long so maybe i didn't noticed it) and limit. But i can't investigate this because i have 2g connection and currently use computer with Pentium Celeron 600mhz (very slow when surfing internet).

And i know that there is plenty of picture hosting services. I can post 3 java apps with screenshots per post too. I can even post screenshot as url from home page of the java program. So there is not a problem with posting less or more pictures. Problem is described above.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

@MochiMoppel That I can look into and improve.

UPDATE: I think it is adjusted now. Please test.

MochiMoppel

Post by MochiMoppel »

@rockedge OK. lets see:
The new maximum size for an uploaded image is now 1200x1200.
Because of the forum scaling this would result in a displayed size of 800x800

So to make the most of the maximum displayable size an uploaded image should not exceed a width of 800px, bringing the maximum for a tall image to 800x1200.

👍 That's great! Thanks!

Return to “Bug Reports”