Installing windows printer drivers with WINE

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Installing windows printer drivers with WINE

Post by amethyst »

Does/will it work? My printer/scanner does not have linux drivers.

backi

Re: Installing windows printer drivers with WINE

Post by backi »

What about installing CUPS (Printer Driver) ?
Not sure if it can be used in your Case .
Probably someone knows(more).
First install cups .
Linux CUPS Manual ....for Example.
https://printservice.uni-konstanz.de/en ... inux-cups/

Last edited by backi on Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
amethyst

Post by amethyst »

backi wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:29 am

What about installing CUPS (Printer Driver) ?
Not sure if it can be used in your Case .
Probably someone knows(more).
First install cups .
Linux CUPS Manual ....for Example.
https://printservice.uni-konstanz.de/en ... inux-cups/

There's no specific linux driver for my model. I think I'll try the generic UFRII linux driver although it's not recommended for my model. It seems Windows drivers do not work with WINE according to my brief search regarding the subject...but I set it up according to that instructions. So how exactly does this work and where are these settings stored..or do I need to go through the process again for every new printing job? I guess this is for printing only and not for scanning?

Edit: I see some Canon things stored in /var, is that it? Anyways, I'll connect the printer tomorrow and see if it works.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Is this a Canon i-SENSYS MF3220 we're talking about?

I haven't checked but do you know whether it supports Google Cloud Print?

If the above, there's another option here.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

ThruHammer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 am

Is this a Canon i-SENSYS MF3220 we're talking about?

I haven't checked but do you know whether it supports Google Cloud Print?

If the above, there's another option here.

That's the one. Not really an issue as I do have XP dual-booting on this machine.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Nic, if you've still got the original installation disc that came with your printer (this is a laser printer, I believe?), you can have a look in the disc contents, and you should find, somewhere, what are called "PPD" files. CUPS can make use of these directly, so long as your printer supports 'PostScript'.....and there aren't many which don't.

EDIT:- How old IS this thing? Canon appear to disavow any knowledge of ever having built it in the first place..!

--------------------------------------

The "Google Cloud Print" thing is no longer functional; Google deprecated/disabled it as of 31st December last year.

There is one perfectly viable alternative to 'Cloud Print', which even uses the same infrastructure.....except it wouldn't appeal to you, since you loathe anything Google-related.....and that is to save a 'Print Preview' to your Google a/c, for printing out later via your browser. No good for you, but the information might help somebody else.....

https://www.wikihow.com/Disconnect-a-Pr ... e%20Drive.

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am

... so long as your printer supports 'PostScript'.....and there aren't many which don't.

Not true. The vast majority of consumer-grade printers are NOT Postscript-capable.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

@mikewalsh

except it wouldn't appeal to you, since you loathe anything Google-related.....

Really, are you making this up? I'm using gmail (many accounts and other google services too). BTW - It's a laser printer/scanner. I've installed the ppd file but haven't checked if it works yet. This google print thing is interesting. So how is it possible to print from google on a linux machine which does not have a manufactured linux driver for the printer? Surely google must have a compatible linux driver for the specific printer, so where do they get it because even the manufacturer does not provide it (and does not even list the generic linux driver as one that will work on this specific model).

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Sorry, Nic; my bad. I was sure I remembered you saying a long while ago on the other forum that you didn't like Google.... Must have got you muddled up with someone else on the "anti-Google" crew..! :oops:

No, I remembered a little while ago (been chatting with my nephew at the front door for the last hour or so) that this wouldn't work for you in any case.....I'd got my facts wrong. You still had to have your printer set-up & working in your OS before the Cloud Print thing would communicate with it. I never used it myself, but I believe the whole point of it was for a method of using a "common" printer for anyone who had like a PC and a smartphone and/or a tablet, and was signed-in to a Google a/c on all devices. It was essentially a 'network printer' solution, based in 'the cloud' as opposed to being purely 'local', but it still relied on you having a functioning printer in the first place..!

They basically provided the network infrastructure to allow you to use your own printer across all your own devices, no matter where you happened to be. But, it's a moot point anyway; Google Cloud Print is dead & gone now.

I've been looking into this a wee bit; a number of companies have stepped into the gap left behind with similar solutions, but they're all 'paid' solutions. And they still rely on you having a working printer setup to start with.

Apologies for the misleading information.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

rcrsn51 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:19 pm
mikewalsh wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:35 am

... so long as your printer supports 'PostScript'.....and there aren't many which don't.

Not true. The vast majority of consumer-grade printers are NOT Postscript-capable.

Ah. I stand corrected, Bill. Thanks for the clarification.

Mike. :thumbup:

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:46 pm

Sorry, Nic; my bad. I was sure I remembered you saying a long while ago on the other forum that you didn't like Google.... Must have got you muddled up with someone else on the "anti-Google" crew..! :oops:

No, I remembered a little while ago (been chatting with my nephew at the front door for the last hour or so) that this wouldn't work for you in any case.....I'd got my facts wrong. You still had to have your printer set-up & working in your OS before the Cloud Print thing would communicate with it. I never used it myself, but I believe the whole point of it was for a method of using a "common" printer for anyone who had like a PC and a smartphone and/or a tablet, and was signed-in to a Google a/c on all devices. It was essentially a 'network printer' solution, based in 'the cloud' as opposed to being purely 'local', but it still relied on you having a functioning printer in the first place..!

They basically provided the network infrastructure to allow you to use your own printer across all your own devices, no matter where you happened to be. But, it's a moot point anyway; Google Cloud Print is dead & gone now.

I've been looking into this a wee bit; a number of companies have stepped into the gap left behind with similar solutions, but they're all 'paid' solutions. And they still rely on you having a working printer setup to start with.

Apologies for the misleading information.

Mike. ;)

No problems mate, you are only trying to help after all. Appreciated.

Return to “Users”