No, not at all

46%

On occasion

41%

Total votes: 41

vtpup

Re: Are you using Windows?

Post by vtpup »

I run Puppy 99.9% of the time, although that includes a fair amount of Wine use for (mainly) the old Google SketchUP (not the newer Trimble versions).

I very occasionally find that I can't get Wine working for odball Windows engineering programs, and will dual boot into Win 7 (disconnected from wifi) to run it....... usually just long enough to generate some needed output file. Then go back to Puppy to work with it.

If I could do everything I need in a Linux (or Wine compatible) version, I'd wipe Windows as fast as I've wiped ChromeOS off my Crumbbook.

To put a number on it, I might dip into Win7 maybe once every month or two for a few minutes. I'm running Puppy 300 hours a month, easy.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4
Huge kernel: huge-6.1.8-fossapup64

My homemade foam boat:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Grey

Post by Grey »

Grey wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:20 am

If for such trifles we need Wine(ie Windows), then why do we need this Linux at all :)

The vast majority of users(me too) are hypocrites. For example, I use such programs in Wine as Carrara Studio and Anime Studio and of course pirated versions. Why not the closest analogues - Blender and Synfig, respectively? Because I'm a hypocrite. But this is an example of "complex" software. No Wine for everyday tasks.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

A hypocrite is someone who says one thing and does the opposite. I'm just telling you what I do.

If Microsoft suddenly decided to go non-proft, open source, and encouraged user control, rewrote for efficient processor and other resource use, got rid of bugs, quit spying, and a few other small changes, I'd probably use Windows.

So, obviously I'm not prejudiced .......or hypocritical.

Just practical.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

Grey

Post by Grey »

vtpup wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:29 pm

So, obviously I'm not prejudiced .......or hypocritical.
Just practical.

You probably took it personally. I was not talking about you or anyone in particular, absolutely. I just outlined the general state of affairs when using Linux. Everyone decides for himself how to relate to this. If you use certain software to calculate the parameters and drawings of the boat, then this is great and no one will judge you.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

vtpup

Post by vtpup »

Nope not personal, or worrying about judgements....just ribbing re. the concept of OS hypocrisy in general, whatever that means.

HP Envy Laptop 17t-cr100
Fossapup F-96 CE rev 4

My homemade foam boat:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Geek3579 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:11 am

I occasionally use IRFANVIEW running under portable WINE in LXDE Bionicpup64 for printing, since it allows you to more precisely stretch and place images on a page. Wouldnt be without it, actually.

You can do exactly this with the GIMP.....which I use for all my image printing, irrespective of whether I've actually worked with the image itself in the GIMP or not. You can move the image, literally pixel by pixel; st-r-e-t-ch it, re-size it.....the works.

I use Mooii Tech's PhotoScape under WINE for most of my image work (I've run it virtually since its first release, nearly 13 years ago), but always come back to the GIMP for printing.....because despite that WINE has improved by leaps & bounds over the last year or so, it's STILL crap at communicating correctly with CUPS.

Works for me.

Mike. ;)

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

This is a great tip wrt using Gimp for printing. I will try it! Thanks ! :D

My experience with printing with WINE hosted software using brother and HP printers has usually been satisfactory, so there has been little reason for me to change.

One further comment..I dont view using applications written for Windows as using a Windows Operating System, but a credit to the developers of the software and WINE which allows it to work in Linux AND extend its useful life - a sort of software up-cycling...

foxpup

Post by foxpup »

Just for work, but that is a lot.
So windows to me means stress, mostly boring and meaningless, bloat and often technical problems and being boxed in.
Puppy means leasure time, relaxing, freedom, fiddling, learning, enjoying. :D

Return to “Users”