GRUB4DOS exits to "grub>" on Dell Vostro 3350.

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

globetrotterdk

GRUB4DOS exits to "grub>" on Dell Vostro 3350.

Post by globetrotterdk »

I have tried both fossapup64-9.0.5, jackalpup-0.0-multiboot_14.03.21, and slacko64-7.0, but all exit to the GRUB4DOS command line, on my Dell Vostro 3350. My Dell Vostro is a BIOS computer. I would like to have a USB pen drive that can boot a Puppy Linux version on any computer, regardless of whether UEFI or BIOS. Both Fossa Pup and Jackal Pup run just fine as a basic system on my UEFI based computers, but not at all on the Dell... Any ideas to get met going?

rcrsn51

Re: GRUB4DOS exits to "grub>" on Dell Vostro 3350.

Post by rcrsn51 »

On UEFI machines, you need the file grub.cfg.

But on BIOS machines, Grub4dos needs the file menu.lst.

Do you have it?

globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Yes, it is at /boot/grub/menu.lst on the USB pen drive.

rcrsn51

Post by rcrsn51 »

Move the menu.lst file to the same location as the grldr file.

globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

It is already at the same location: /boot/grub/

mikeslr

Post by mikeslr »

Tell us EXACTLY how you installed the boot-loader: step by step, don't leave out any information starting with both the operating system and applications used.

It might also help to know in general what other operating systems you could boot into, e.g. Windows 10, Major Linux Distro, Puppies.

Was the USB-Key previously used? Did it have a previous bootloader? How was it formatted?

globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

I downloaded the .iso file, and burned to the pen drive using the Fedora Media Writer. The drive has been used a number of times. I always restore the USB pen drive before burning a new .iso file onto it. Other .iso files on the pen drive have been Slacko 7 (which doesn’t boot on the Dell either), Debian net install, Fedora 32, etc. However, this isn’t the only USB pen drive that I tried this on, with the same result. I have used the Fedora Media Writer with quite a number of .iso files (always Linux), and it has been 100% reliable.

I have tried Jackal Puppy (different pen drive) on the Dell and it doesn’t boot either. Currently, Debian Buster Cinnamon is installed on the Dell.

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

This does NOT address the OP's issue with his attempt at Frugal PUP use on a BIOS PC. That is a traditional Frugal USB problem.

This post to this thread offers a solution he (and others) may find useful, efficient, and eliminates those problems.

I have NOT had a boot issue on either BIOS or UEFI PCs since I started using the 2020-2021 PUPs-DOGs ... NONE!

Those PUPs introduced a better way to run and manage PUPs with the changes they made using GRUB2-EFI. The PUP-DOG developers no longer have a need to ensure GRUB2 is accurate or current as the worldwide GRUB2 development community and the PC manufacturers are doing that for us.

Here what I do for ALL USB booting since Jan-2020.

1. Set up a SG2D (as @ETP shows). This is ONLY done once in the USB's lifetime.

2. ADD any/all of your 2020-2021 PUP-DOG or any Ubuntu ISOs in the USB's /BOOTISOS folder

3. Boot the same USB on either BIOS or UEFI PC selecting ony ISO it shows (in /BOOTISOS folder)

4. Save your sessions or remaster or use pristine or whatever for your normal PUP use.

That's all. It takes less than 5 minutes at best to make this USB for use.

It may bear repeating, "I dont care if its BIOS or UEFI. IT WORKS THE SAME ON EITHER". Thank the PUP developers for this change over a year ago.

P.S. This works exactly like a Frugal without your ever needing to do a Frugal EVER again.

globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Clarity wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:37 pm

Here what I do for ALL USB booting since Jan-2020.

1. Set up a SG2D (as @ETP shows).

I assume that SG2D is Super Grub2 Disk... I have searched both online and on this forum, but have found no instructions by this person. Do you have a link?

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Yes, SG2D is SuperGrub2 disc.

@etp wrote about it on the old forum. I added pics to his announcment on the new forum last year, here.

I think you will be mildly surprised at the portability you gain without losing any of PUPPY's abilities we are all comfortable with.

Appeal for help if you need. There are members in Puppyland to help. ... including myself.

Enjoy
P.S. You will spend more time trying to decide if you want the 15MB SG2D ISO or the other SG2D ISO for USB generation than the 5+ minutes to set up a USB with the PUP ISOs you want to boot.

globetrotterdk

Post by globetrotterdk »

Clarity wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:59 am

Yes, SG2D is SuperGrub2 disc.

@etp wrote about it on the old forum. I added pics to his announcment on the new forum last year, here.

Thanks for that. At first blush, it looks like Ventoy. I just got a Ventoy USB up and running. I was able to boot the latest fossapup64 .iso file from the Ventoy USB drive That doesn’t really get me any closer to a “universal” Puppy USB drive for booting from any BIOS and UEFI hardware...

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

[Edit] I moved the solution to the HowTo section: viewtopic.php?f=155&t=2472

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

Yes, @globetrotterdk.

BTW, I have been using Ventoy as well over the past 4-5 months. I create ventoy as a MSDOS (BIOS compatibility as every BIOS 64bit doesn't understand GPT) and I ENSURE I have SG2D's ISO on the VEntoy USB. For housekeeping sake, on the Ventoy USB, I make a /BOOTISOS folder and keep ALL ISOs in that folder. Ventoy will list them for your selection.

If a 2020-2021 PUP-DOG ISO doesn't boot via Ventoy, I have Ventoy launch SG2D ISO. SG2D ALWAYS works to boot every PUP I have.

If I can offer advice to ease understanding, please do SG2D first. It, like Ventoy is simple to setup and run. Its interface is NOT as pretty. Reason: The PUP+DOG developers have setup WoofCE outcomes with the ability to boot via SG2D. Think of SG2D as the very easy not-so-pretty primative.

AFter a few days, then make a USB of Ventoy where your make a folder /BOOTISOS and keep ALL ISOs in that folder. Also add your SG2D ISO in that folder as well. I think at that point you can boot ANY ISO on ANY PC and gain desktop as if you had booted Live.

The BIG difference between the 2 ISO boots I am helping, here, is that Ventoy will ONLY boot ISOs on its USB. While SG2D (my preference for PUP compatitbility) allows you to place /BOOTISOS folder(s) (yes there can be multiples) anywhere and it will find them; thus much more flexibility and folder placement options. That why I prefer SG2D...user-level choices for keeping multiple /BOOTISOS folder(s).

So try SG2D on your old Dell Vostro 3350 and let us know your success for booting the PUP/DOG ISOs you choose. Its too easy. Take the "5+ minute plunge"

FANTASTIC! Boots everything! You'll never look back.

wiak

Post by wiak »

Interesting thread. Next time I have a minute I will explore using SG2D, and also VEntoy (just had a look at their website). There are other well-known methods of booting via EFI files certainly, but direct from iso approach is more novel and interesting for simplicity.

https://www.tinylinux.info/
DOWNLOAD wd_multi for hundreds of 'distros' at your fingertips: viewtopic.php?p=99154#p99154
Αξίζει να μεταφραστεί;

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Try this:

Use a UEFI boot loader like Grub2 that fully supports UEFI booting.

Puppy now has a full UEFI compatible installer program.
Frugalpup Installer.
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/fru ... index.html
It does frugal installs to any drive.
It can install a UEFI, Legacy bios, or both boot loaders.

If you instal a UEFI boot loader it installs everything needed to boot with secure boot enabled in UEFI.
Along with the UEFI boot loader, it installs the Puppy security key, needed for secure boot enabled.

This is how to install to a USB stick, but this also works for internal drive, if Puppy is the only OS on the internal drive.
Use Gparted program.
Setup the USB stick with 2 partitions.
First one, small 300MB, fat32 format, flagged boot. (location for boot loader files, boot partition)
Rest of drive, whatever other partition(s), but one ext3 or 4 format. (location to put frugal installs)
(this is UEFI standard requirement, and some computers, look for a fat32 partition, for boot loader files)

Run Frugalpup Installer main program.
On the main window are selection buttons.
Select the Puppy button, to do the install.
Go through install process, selecting to install to the ext formatted partition.
Note:
When selecting the partition to install to.
A window pops up, giving option to make a directory, to put the frugal install in.
I make this directory and usually name it, the name of the Puppy version.
Carefully read that windows info.
Press enter, makes the directory, not the OK button.
complete the install.

When it gets back to the main Frugalpup window.
Select the boot button.
Select the location of the frugal install, on the USB stick.
Select the small 300MB partition on the USB stick, as location to install the boot loader. (may need to scroll the selection window)
Select the boot loader type.
UEFI
mbr ->legacy bios boot
both

You can install the UEFI for UEFI computers, mbr for legacy bios computers, or both, to boot anything.

The UEFI will also install the needed files, to support secure boot enabled in UEFI.

When you first boot the USB stick, on a UEFI computer, with secure boot enabled.
A process will start, to allow you to install the Puppy security key, to the computer.
It will add this Puppy key, to the other ones, loaded on the computer.

Note:
Not all UEFI computers are the same, for booting from a USB stick.
Some may require secure boot disabled, CSM enabled, or legacy boot enabled, to be able to boot from a USB stick.
So, for those computers.
The mbr boot loader will work, because the UEFI bios, is basically in, legacy bios operation.

To put more frugal installs on the same USB stick.
Do the complete Frugalpup Installer process again, for the new Puppy version.
When you run the boot loader install.
It will make entries, for all installs it finds, on the USB drive.

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Return to “Beginners Help”