Puppy Linux USER Involvement insights for everyone

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Puppy Linux USER Involvement insights for everyone

Post by Clarity »

"I think" the OP's problem is a combining of PUP's evolution and its past.

Since the end of 2019, it appears that PUP's & DOGs are modernizing rapidly. In review of PUP-DOGs from the past, it appears they were comfortable using old versions of Linux software. This may have been due to their 386-486 roots. Like the rest of the hardware manufacturers and Linux industry much has changed since prior to 2010.

We have gone thru a doorway of our past and the door is now closed. ALL major Linux distros with development teams have manpower constraints and have found it impossible to maintain old boxes and new boxes. Even the LInux author, Tovalds, is settled in on this side of the door; namely 64 bit. THIS IS NOT A BAD THING as there are too many reasons to list those benefits. As such the manufacturers have "partnered" with many of the Linux subsystem development groups in working with them to insure adequate behaviors as well as superior performance on 64bit PCs meeting the demands as we move further and further away from 2010. This includes EVERYTHING from video, audio, LANs, machines startup, interface of OSes with hardware, etc.

PUPPY has in the past, it seems, is not just slow in adoption, but had failed to cast its past to the history books. This reluctance is a human emotion problem we all face from time to time. In fact, when you get old, you hang on to things never knowing if you'll need them again. Once in a long while, you do and will go on the hunt for where that one little thing is buried in all the old JUNK we have.

Today, especially in 2021, PUPPY is concentrating on what it must become to have a flexible, stable, efficient operating system which continues to carry a set of useful apps that work via the subsystems mentioned as part of today's world. As such, it seems, Puppy development have taken on the tasks to insure PUPs & DOGs have the same forethought as the Linux industry leaders are exhibiting. Looking at such a small development group I personally have to commend that team and anyone who wants to join in to help that team bring about the kind of mainstream Linux that users easily understand and find useful.

To make this happen in Puppyland, there are people who are "true" corporate style developers as well as many others who know how to write code. Each group has excellent coding skills, yet some exhibit phenomenal subsystem and integration understanding, and others are capable of applicaiton-level task focus.

One of the MOST IMPORTANT development that, I hope, contributers understand is how teams interact to bring about a successful projects...namely tracking all elements of a project's development. Without a "true" tracking of system contributions, changes, and corrections, it becomes a REAL mess of a project...no matter who does it or at what level. This is the primary reasons so many Linuxes of the past have failed...even those with funding.

The developers of PUPPY Linux approached their decisions with that knowledge and over the last 2-3 years, the fruits are bearing out. Puppy can identify, even their smallest changes, thru a REAL development "tracking' system they use ("GIT) to corral their Puppy development..namely the WoofCE Project.

That project is phenomenal as it has taken on the ability to generate distros under the surname "Puppy". What sets them apart is that WoofCE tracks EVERYTHING. While GIT provides the platform to maintain one's project(s), GIT also has the ability to distribute the outcomes of one(s) project.

If you are a developer and want to have and work with a team of those willing to help you, you too must find a way to "track" your project elements and task progress. GIT is one of many platforms that exist to do this. All of those platforms have similar intents. ... TRACKING!

This community is fortunate in that it doesn't have the complexity of a corporate office. YET, it has ALL of the same needs for organization. Oh it doesn't have a profit mission, but it does have a mission of community service and the members exhibit that for this technology at its highest level. This INTERNATIONAL group of PUPPY-DOG forum users are an example of what our world is hopefully striving to become: One where we find commonality to work and contribute together as well as to assist, have fun, and help community members along the way.

I am reasonably new to this forum: yet I am amazed at how membership attempts such, in it interactions and guidance; no matter if its on a theoretical technical level or in technical implementations. Intelligent interactions are what this community is about.

I think we should embrace how well this community is becoming in its maturity. It may be the one thing that will attract more and more membership who participate to carry on the eagerness that this community has.

IMHO, everyone who writes or modifies any code, should have a GIT account or have some other IDE for maintenance and distribution of your outcomes (projects). Anyone who wants to participate with a team could be doing so with the team in a combined manner via GIT. The benefits are too enormous to overlook.

In the 65 years since "real" code development started, the tracking system requirements have been tantamount. If you dont like one tracking system for your development, find another. If you want others to be apart of your working group, get a tracking system, add your project's content and doit.

Puppy Linux and it various DOGs (FATDOG comes to mind) has done this!

This post is a tribute to their intelligent efforts that I see.

amethyst

Re: Puppy Linux USER Involvement insights for everyone

Post by amethyst »

Evenso, I'm quite happy using my customized Precise Puppy for the next 5 years or so because at this stage I can do anything with it that I can do with newer Puppys, even run the latest browsers.

Jafadmin

Post by Jafadmin »

tl;dr

The whole point to Puppy Linux is to be able to leverage our legacy hardware to do everyday tasks like email, web browsing, and simple editing. The point is not to be a "One Size Fits All" OS.

That said, I have used Puppy to make NAS devices, Switches, Routers, Firewalls, Hotspots, Marine Nav Consoles, and VPN endpoints. Many others have customized them for various other specific tasks like video editing, music production, and surveillance systems. Some of these guys produce Realtime kernels for even wrenchier stuff. Puppy is perfect for makers.

[Opinion] Lose systemd, keep i386/i686. [/Opinion] (32 bit boards are going to be around for a very long time. Decades. They are used for more than just PC's)

Last edited by Jafadmin on Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:59 pm, edited 8 times in total.
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

I am reasonably new to this forum: yet I am amazed at how membership attempts such, in it interactions and guidance; no matter if its on a theoretical technical level or in technical implementations. Intelligent interactions are what this community is about.

You may be new to this forum, "Clarity".....but many of us remember gcmartin being kicked-off the old forum for being a troll, as well as a complete prat. Oh, I'm not stupid, pal; anyone with half-a-grain of common sense can & WILL recognise posting styles. Your ID may change, but most folks have the greatest difficulty in communicating their ideas in anything other than the same way in which they've always written them.....and yours was particularly memorable.

(You always sound as if you're making a presentation to a board of corporate executives. Americans may perhaps lap that "corporate" crap up; Europeans, not so much.) Anyway, Jafa's right; Pup's a hobbyist distro, for those that enjoy getting their hands dirty & actually doing 'stuff'. AFAIK, we're not trying to create the 'perfect' polished distro for consumption by the masses (yeah, it'd be nice, but realistically it ain't gonna happen..!)

Mike. :roll:

p310don

Post by p310don »

many of us remember gcmartin

I was reading OP's post thinking, this style if familiar, is this gcmartin..?

Not sure he got booted so much as left because his voice wasn't heard. I know he privately messages some devs to get them to do stuff to his liking. I've done the same.

@Clarity, are you gcmartin? If you've got things to share, that's great. It takes all types to make a community

Return to “Users”