URL cleanup for FireFox and others

For discussions about security.
8Geee

URL cleanup for FireFox and others

Post by 8Geee »

One of the nicer things security-wise these days are add-ons like NOscript, UBlock, AdBlock, etc. These are great for getting rid of unwanted script-tracking, ads, and ads with pretty pictures. However there is one more place tracking occurs, and thats in the actual address (bar) of the webpage you're viewing. In my older FireFox27, I used an addon called redirect-cleaner that prevents an intermediate redirect to a different webpage (usually with tracking elements, or sponsor-links). Today, this is accomplished rather deftly by ClearURLs. It parses the web address in the URL-bar to guide one to just the webpage without all the redirects and/or tracking elements. I've been looking for something like this since AtomicPup got upgraded to the XX66 version using FireFox66.05. The developer does state that all major browsers are supported; Chrome, iOS, FF,etc.

If you've ever wondered about those LOOOONG URL's at Amazon, Ebay, Shopify, Aliexpress, eBay, etc., most of that bloat is tracking/redirect/logging. This "ClearURLs" addon will clean up a great majority of these insidious URLs.

Regards
8Geee (Isaias recovered)
Last edited by 8Geee on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

galbi

Re: URL cleanup for FireFox and others

Post by galbi »

Hi 8Geee, do you know this extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/umatrix/
I find it a bit complicated to use, but it's recommended very emphatically here:
https://digdeeper.neocities.org/
dancytron

Post by dancytron »

I'm using "don't track me google" Firefox addon which converts those long google tracking urls to the underlying urls they really point to.

Does exactly what it says on the tin without any setup or hassle.

It means you can right-click copy and past a google search url and not get long google redirection url.

https://github.com/Rob--W/dont-track-me-google
8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Thanks Galbi... I emailed the developer with a question or two about Clear URLs. I see s/he favors PaleMoon, but sees the infighting as a near death experience. Time will tell. Hopefully the dev will respond that uMatrix does/doesnot do what Clear URLs does (56 buried URL-trackers in the webpage script on this page alone while uBO-lite sees nothing). IMHO its superior to the redirect cleaners out there.

Regards
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Return to “Security”