Howto avoid Tap-To-Click during quicksetup?

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

greengeek

Howto avoid Tap-To-Click during quicksetup?

Post by greengeek »

A number of Puppies have Tap-To-Click enabled straight after booting and I find this irritating.

After the pup has booted to normal running condition I can use the following command to turn off tap-to-click:

synclient TouchpadOff=2

I have added a script to /root/Startup to make this change but this does not help me during the initial phase where the Quicksetup screen is displayed - my Startup script only becomes active after the "post Quicksetup X-restart". Prior to that X-restart my touchpad is hypersensitive and registers clicks when i am merely trying to position the cursor.

I am wondering why/how the tap-to-click function gets turned on during boot?

- Is there an existing synclient or flsynclient config file somewhere?
- Is this something to do with xorg config?
- Is this setting defined in rc.d?

I am keen to know how Xenial and Tahr etc handle this. (Slacko seems to have tap-to-click already disabled)

I have a similar problem with ScPups too but they do not seem to use the same sort of synclient/flsynclient setup and I have not found a way to change tap-to-click behaviour on those pups yet but am also keen to hear if anyone knows how that can be achieved.

Eastler_Dart

Re: Howto avoid Tap-To-Click during quicksetup?

Post by Eastler_Dart »

Do you need Quicksetup at boot-time?

If not, you can stop it. There is only the need of one file, can have size=0:
with this line ... [ ! -f /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled ] ... delayedrun starts Quicksetup,
only when that file not exists.

So for example

Code: Select all

echo -en "" > /etc/personal_settings_popup_disabled

creates that file (with size 0).
copy it in your starting system (the puppy....sfs to boot), then quicksetup at boottime is gone.

In Addition, there is a window at bootup the first time, with additional hints to puppy,
the start of that looks for the not existing file /opt/upup/upup-hints-shown
here also,

echo -en "" > /opt/upup/upup-hints-shown

will create it, copy it in your booting system, the hints also are gone

All this out of upup-ef 32bit, should work in most puppies

hope it helps, Eastler

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Eastler_Dart wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:46 am

Do you need Quicksetup at boot-time?

In most cases yes - as i run without savefile and prefer to have my puppy boot into it's default "pristine" state. This gives me confidence that my family learns the basic setup procedure and understands exactly what is going on when connecting to the router. It means that they can move the laptop to other locations and know exactly what to do to connect to other peoples networks. It also means that they take more care in selecting keyboard layout as some of my machines have UK keyboard and some have US.

But i also have some circumstances where i would prefer to disable the quicksetup. Sometimes (especially for desktops that are not portable) i like to have an adrv that contains personalisations so the quicksetup becomes redundant - so thank you very much for that information! I will remaster that into some of my pups.

Cheers!

ps: but i just do not want tap-to-click active during quicksetup - it is quite harmful and directories get shifted places they should not, and some checkboxes become ticked when they should not. This happens especially on laptops that have Clickpads instead of standard touchpads. On those laptops I need to change the synclient setup before quicksetup runs - so I want to remaster Tap-to-click off for all machines. I just don't know how/where to set this as I cannot find a config file for synclient.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Yes disabling Tap-to-click is the first thing I need to do. It is the most irritating thing on new pups.

Some puppy variants now use psynclient, it's config file is /root/.config/psynclient.conf. It is not in the original puppy.sfs, so seemingly gets created at first boot. There is also psynclient.nonfirstrun.flg which is also created. I don't know where the config is created.

In ScPup64 (assuming scPup32 is same), libinput is used, it has a GUI which can be accessed from the Keyboard/Mouse Wizard when selecting to adjust touchpad. I just did a boot pfix=ram to check original state. It's been a long time since I set up ScPup64, for my Dell laptop Tap-to-Click is disabled by default . It is very well behaved on first run. Here is the original setup from my laptop:

# libinput list-devices
...Deleted non-relevant entries
Device:           AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint
Kernel:           /dev/input/event18
Group:            10
Seat:             seat0, default
Size:             83x52mm
Capabilities:     pointer 
Tap-to-click:     disabled
Tap-and-drag:     enabled
Tap drag lock:    disabled
Left-handed:      disabled
Nat.scrolling:    disabled
Middle emulation: enabled
Calibration:      n/a
Scroll methods:   *two-finger edge 
Click methods:    none
Disable-w-typing: enabled
Accel profiles:   flat *adaptive
Rotation:         n/a

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

TerryH wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:43 am

In ScPup64 (assuming scPup32 is same), libinput is used, it has a GUI which can be accessed from the Keyboard/Mouse Wizard when selecting to adjust touchpad.

Thanks TerryH - I have spotted the gui in SCpup before - but have never found the correct method to make the adjustment. There must be a trick to selecting the correct device and I have not mastered it. Are you able to offer any tips as to how to use that gui? The inability to turn off taptoclick is the only thing that has stopped me using the SCpups.

Eastler_Dart

Post by Eastler_Dart »

because my english is small, and I never seen something like tab-klick,
I'm not realy sure, what you mean with tab-klick. I asume, that is something
of the touchpad, and is gone when touchpad isn't active.

On my Fujitsu-Lappy I can switch the touchpad off, WHILE the bootmanager (grub 0.97) is running,
and while Puppy-Startup is in the early-console. KeyboardKeys are [Fn] [F6] (F6 has the Mousesymbol).

Also I can start the bios-config immediately at switch-Lappy-on and disable there the touchpad.

If this doesn't work for you / isn't a way for you, take a look at
-- /etc/X11/xorg.conf: the main config-file for Xorg,
created at bootup.
in Section "InputClass" is what is taken for Input
If there the touchpad is activated, you have to change
that in /etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc , which is the basefile
for build the /etc/X11/xorg.conf at bootup
or change the values in the following files, they also influence
the buildup of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
--/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ - check if there was a file with parameter for touchpad,
if so, rename it so that the filename didn't end with '.conf'
or change the content, to not start touchpad
-- /etc/rc.d/init.d (is a link to /etc/init.d (upup-ef)
-- /etc/init.d/ these are scripts, started at bootup

hope it helps, Eastler

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

I couldn't work out how to use the GUI properly, it could turn Tapping on, but it didn't seem to give an option to turn Tapping off. As mentioned my laptop defaults to tapping off. To test I had to turn tapping on, this created a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf. This change survived a boot/reboot. Editing this file changing 'on' to 'off' had no effect. The only way to now turn tapping off, was to delete this 40-libinput.conf file.

After checking man pages for libinput, I then used the Arch wiki.
Link to Arch wiki

It is fairly simple to do from command line using xinput.

The change made using the xinput command didn't survive a boot/reboot when selecting to save changes. To get it to work on startup I added a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I added xinput set-prop 14 336 1 to the end of the script. Or adding a script in /root/Startup works also.

Command syntax:
xinput set-prop device option setting

The following was done on my Dell laptop which has ALPS GlidePoint touchpad.

1 - Identify Touchpad

# xinput list
⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ ELAN Touchscreen touch                  	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint                	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated_Webcam_HD: Integrate         	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                        	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]

2 - List the properties for the ALPS GlidePoint (id=14)

# xinput list-props 14
Device 'AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint':
	Device Enabled (178):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (180):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	libinput Tapping Enabled (336):	1
	libinput Tapping Enabled Default (337):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled (338):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled Default (339):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled (340):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled Default (341):	0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Enabled (342):	1, 0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Default (343):	1, 0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (344):	0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (345):	0
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (346):	1
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (347):	1
	libinput Scroll Methods Available (348):	1, 1, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled (349):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (350):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (351):	1
	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (352):	1
	libinput Accel Speed (353):	0.000000
	libinput Accel Speed Default (354):	0.000000
	libinput Accel Profiles Available (355):	1, 1
	libinput Accel Profile Enabled (356):	1, 0
	libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (357):	1, 0
	libinput Left Handed Enabled (358):	0
	libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (359):	0
	libinput Send Events Modes Available (299):	1, 1
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (300):	0, 0
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (301):	0, 0
	Device Node (302):	"/dev/input/event18"
	Device Product ID (303):	2, 8
	libinput Drag Lock Buttons (360):	<no items>
	libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (361):	1

3 - Set the option property off (0)/ on (1)

The following 2 commands will turn Tapping on:

# xinput set-prop 14 336 1          

OR

# xinput set-prop 14 "libinput Tapping Enabled" 1

The following 2 commands will turn Tapping off:

# xinput set-prop 14 336 0

OR

# xinput set-prop 14 "libinput Tapping Enabled" 0

Note: @Eastler_Dart I couldn't find anything in /etc/X11/xorg.conf-auto-pc or /etc/init.d/, which would allow this to be easily changed. As mentioned above turning tapping on via GUI, does create a file /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf, but for me editing this file didn't change the outcome, it only changed when deleted.

Eastler_Dart

Post by Eastler_Dart »

for my problem I also changed the call of xinput,
in my upup-ef that is done in /root/.xset.sh so I had to change the commandcall there.

I hat also deleted the config-file for touchpad in 40-libinput.conf.

Because greengeek wrote about different puppies with different reacts,
I think, that could be the change from xset to xinput for configurating Inputdevices.

To go deeper in using xinput instead of xset, here my experiences:
My problem was the finetuning of the mouse.
Because I'm coming from puppy4.12 puppy4.2 puppy-precise,
I was used to do it for example with the command: xset m 15/10........
Upup-ef now has the same tool to do it in a GTK-Window,
but on boot now the mouse is configured to xinput ==> the tool doesn't influence (xset-command) my mouse.

I wrote a new tool, which looks, if xinput is to be used and react with xset or xinput.
You can find that tool 'Maus-Empfindlichkeit' here:
viewtopic.php?p=9596#p9596
Take there 'http://eastler.de/tmp/upup-ef_input-wizard' to see, how I checked
for xset or xinput.

Hope these are helpful hints, Eastler

peebee

Post by peebee »

Hi @greengeek

Here is a small ydrv that you can put into the frugal install for 1st bootup....

Once you have a savearea you can transfer the file there and delete the ydrv for subsequent boots.

The added file is:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

the added line is:
Option "Tapping" "false"

Attachments
ydrv_upupbb_19.03.sfs-false.gz
(4 KiB) Downloaded 18 times

Builder of LxPups, SPups, UPup32s, VoidPups; LXDE, LXQt, Xfce addons; Chromium, Firefox etc. sfs; & Kernels

Clarity

Post by Clarity »

I run tablets and touchscreen systems. Tap-to-click is a REQUIREMENT.

As far as an annoyance is concern, I agree with the efforts members on this thread are showing for how one can disable it for those laptop users.

Tap-to-click is NOT a problem with desktop PCs ... only for those laptop users who rest their palms on the touchpad area or for users who are using keyboards with mouse touchpad features are builtin. On these keyboards, I have a mere sheet of paper covering the touchpad to diminish inadvertent actions of my hands to defeat the problem raised in this thread. Thusly, no system change or code change is required for this physical concern.

I am hopeful that the developers do not disable tap-to-click as our future in upcoming years will be more in a touch-system arena. Old people like myself can understand the resistance, yet it will occur even in light of our resistance to change.

Here's a post on another thread where a user praises development for this kind of OOTB solutions.

FYI

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

Clarity wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:32 am

I run tablets and touchscreen systems. Tap-to-click is a REQUIREMENT.

As far as an annoyance is concern, I agree with the efforts members on this thread are showing for how one can disable it for those laptop users.

Tap-to-click is NOT a problem with desktop PCs ... only for those laptop users who rest their palms on the touchpad area or for users who are using keyboards with mouse touchpad features are builtin. On these keyboards, I have a mere sheet of paper covering the touchpad to diminish inadvertent actions of my hands to defeat the problem raised in this thread. Thusly, no system change or code change is required for this physical concern.

I am hopeful that the developers do not disable tap-to-click as our future in upcoming years will be more in a touch-system arena. Old people like myself can understand the resistance, yet it will occur even in light of our resistance to change.

Here's a post on another thread where a user praises development for this kind of OOTB solutions.

FYI

Disabling Tap-To-Click is referring to touchpads, not a touchscreen. Thisis a reference to a configurable setting, not disabling a feature altogether. I always disable it on my laptop. It doesn't alter the functionality of the touchscreen of my laptop. On a first boot with a laptop, it can be at times almost unusable due to touchpad sensitivity and also clicking being enabled. My view is it is a far easier process to enable a disabled feature (Tap-to-Click) after booting, than struggling to be able to disable the feature on a laptop that can be almost unusable.

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Just want to say thanks for the suggestions here.

It's going to take me a while to work out which is most suitable for my needs but i really appreciate the suggestions.

Fair point. It is important for users to be able to personalise what they want for their particular hardware.

I have seen some puppies have a special function where they detect an absence of mouse movement during quicksetup - i don't know how they treat the lack of mousing but maybe that is a good way to deal with this issue:

ie: turn tap-to-click off but if mouse does not seem to respond at all then change the settings to select a different driver.

Anyway - i will use these suggestions to see what works best with my hardware and hope to report back the results.

wanthinker

Post by wanthinker »

greengeek wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:00 am

Just want to say thanks for the suggestions here.

It's going to take me a while to work out which is most suitable for my needs but i really appreciate the suggestions.

Fair point. It is important for users to be able to personalise what they want for their particular hardware.

I have seen some puppies have a special function where they detect an absence of mouse movement during quicksetup - i don't know how they treat the lack of mousing but maybe that is a good way to deal with this issue:

ie: turn tap-to-click off but if mouse does not seem to respond at all then change the settings to select a different driver.

Anyway - i will use these suggestions to see what works best with my hardware and hope to report back the results.

I guess the easiest beside the dev supporting this, would be to remaster your own puppy so that you won't have to change that setting every time it boot up :) (there a nice remaster's centric post here).

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

peebee wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:15 pm

Here is a small ydrv that you can put into the frugal install for 1st bootup....
Once you have a savearea you can transfer the file there and delete the ydrv for subsequent boots.

The added file is:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-libinput.conf

the added line is:
Option "Tapping" "false"

Thanks peebee - this worked nicely for upupBB.
I also tried the same sfs in ScPup64 (renaming it to ydrv_ScPup64_20.01.sfs) but it did not remove tap-to-click.
Would you expect that to have worked or am i barking up the wrong tree? Any idea how i can switch this off in ScPup64 prior to boot?
cheers!

EDIT : unfortunately it turns out that the ydrv fixes my tap-to-click problem but introduces a different problem where i cannot paste from terminal into text editor using both left and right click simultaneously. Got around this problem as described at the very end of my next post below:

Last edited by greengeek on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

TerryH wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:23 pm

It is fairly simple to do from command line using xinput.

The change made using the xinput command didn't survive a boot/reboot when selecting to save changes. To get it to work on startup I added a line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local. I added xinput set-prop 14 336 1 to the end of the script. Or adding a script in /root/Startup works also.

Command syntax:
xinput set-prop device option setting

The following was done on my Dell laptop which has ALPS GlidePoint touchpad.

1 - Identify Touchpad

# xinput list
⎜   ↳ ELAN Touchscreen touch                  	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint                	id=14	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated_Webcam_HD: Integrate         	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys                        	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]

2 - List the properties for the ALPS GlidePoint (id=14)

# xinput list-props 14
	Device Enabled (178):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (180):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	libinput Tapping Enabled (336):	1
	libinput Tapping Enabled Default (337):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled (338):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Enabled Default (339):	1
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled (340):	0
	libinput Tapping Drag Lock Enabled Default (341):	0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Enabled (342):	1, 0
	libinput Tapping Button Mapping Default (343):	1, 0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (344):	0
	libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (345):	0
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled (346):	1
	libinput Disable While Typing Enabled Default (347):	1
	libinput Scroll Methods Available (348):	1, 1, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled (349):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (350):	1, 0, 0
	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (351):	1
	libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (352):	1
	libinput Accel Speed (353):	0.000000
	libinput Accel Speed Default (354):	0.000000
	libinput Accel Profiles Available (355):	1, 1
	libinput Accel Profile Enabled (356):	1, 0
	libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (357):	1, 0
	libinput Left Handed Enabled (358):	0
	libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (359):	0
	libinput Send Events Modes Available (299):	1, 1
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (300):	0, 0
	libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (301):	0, 0
	Device Node (302):	"/dev/input/event18"
	Device Product ID (303):	2, 8
	libinput Drag Lock Buttons (360):	<no items>
	libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (361):	1

3 - Set the option property off (0)/ on (1)

The following 2 commands will turn Tapping on:

# xinput set-prop 14 336 1          

OR

# xinput set-prop 14 "libinput Tapping Enabled" 1

The following 2 commands will turn Tapping off:

# xinput set-prop 14 336 0

OR

# xinput set-prop 14 "libinput Tapping Enabled" 0

Hi TerryH - thanks for the indepth example. Much appreciated. Unfortunately it seems that my touchpad is only detected as "mouse0" and as far as i can tell lacks any control over the tap-to-click function within ScPup64. Maybe a kernel / hardware incompatibility. Although I am pretty sure my Dell laptop has a similar ALPS device as yours does here is the info returned by xinput:

# xinput list
⎜   ↳ Mouse0                                  	id=6	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ↳ Keyboard0                               	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
# xinput list-props 6
Device 'Mouse0':
	Device Enabled (131):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (133):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	Device Accel Profile (245):	0
	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (246):	1.000000
	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (247):	1.000000
	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (248):	10.000000
	Device Node (249):	"/dev/mouse"
	Button Labels (250):	"Button Left" (134), "Button Middle" (135), "Button Right" (136), "Button Wheel Up" (137), "Button Wheel Down" (138), "Button Horiz Wheel Left" (139), "Button Horiz Wheel Right" (140), "Button Unknown" (244), "Button Unknown" (244)
	Mouse Middle Button Emulation (251):	1
	Mouse Middle Button Timeout (252):	50

Interestingly when i boot the same laptop into upupBB32 xinput correctly identifies the touchpad :

# xinput list
⎜   ↳ AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint                	id=11	[slave  pointer  (2)]
    ↳ Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Sleep Button                            	id=8	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Integrated Webcam                       	id=9	[slave  keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=10	[slave  keyboard (3)]

When i ask for the properties it doesnt appear to be using libinput - it seems to be using synclient to do so which is weird because if i issue the command "synclient -l" it tells me that no synaptics driver is loaded.

# xinput list-props 11
	Device Enabled (137):	1
	Coordinate Transformation Matrix (139):	1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
	Device Accel Profile (265):	1
	Device Accel Constant Deceleration (266):	2.500000
	Device Accel Adaptive Deceleration (267):	1.000000
	Device Accel Velocity Scaling (268):	12.500000
	Synaptics Edges (269):	153, 870, 115, 652
	Synaptics Finger (270):	12, 15, 0
	Synaptics Tap Time (271):	180
	Synaptics Tap Move (272):	56
	Synaptics Tap Durations (273):	180, 180, 100
	Synaptics ClickPad (274):	0
	Synaptics Middle Button Timeout (275):	75
	Synaptics Two-Finger Pressure (276):	141
	Synaptics Two-Finger Width (277):	7
	Synaptics Scrolling Distance (278):	25, 25
	Synaptics Edge Scrolling (279):	1, 0, 0
	Synaptics Two-Finger Scrolling (280):	0, 0
	Synaptics Move Speed (281):	1.000000, 1.750000, 0.156495, 0.000000
	Synaptics Off (282):	0
	Synaptics Locked Drags (283):	0
	Synaptics Locked Drags Timeout (284):	5000
	Synaptics Tap Action (285):	2, 3, 0, 0, 1, 3, 0
	Synaptics Click Action (286):	1, 1, 0
	Synaptics Circular Scrolling (287):	0
	Synaptics Circular Scrolling Distance (288):	0.100000
	Synaptics Circular Scrolling Trigger (289):	0
	Synaptics Circular Pad (290):	0
	Synaptics Palm Detection (291):	0
	Synaptics Palm Dimensions (292):	10, 100
	Synaptics Coasting Speed (293):	20.000000, 50.000000
	Synaptics Pressure Motion (294):	15, 80
	Synaptics Pressure Motion Factor (295):	1.000000, 1.000000
	Synaptics Resolution Detect (296):	1
	Synaptics Grab Event Device (297):	0
	Synaptics Gestures (298):	1
	Synaptics Capabilities (299):	1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 1, 0
	Synaptics Pad Resolution (300):	1, 1
	Synaptics Area (301):	0, 0, 0, 0
	Synaptics Noise Cancellation (302):	6, 6
	Device Product ID (260):	2, 8
	Device Node (261):	"/dev/input/event4"

It is a bit confusing because it offers property 285 "synaptics tap action" with 7 different parameters.
However i saw property 282 "synaptics off" and tried changing it from 0 to 2 (which i know is the normal value when synaptics driver is loaded and tap-to-click off) and it responded correctly.

So - with the following command i can control upupBB32 (on this laptop at least...) tap-to-click off:

# xinput set-prop 11 282 2

(which is handy because it turns out that when i use the ydrv.sfs method I tried in the previous post above there is a strange residual effect where middle click function is corrupted by the libinput config in the ydrv)

Last edited by greengeek on Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

I'm surprised not to see any input from Mochi. He's usually pretty good with these type requests.

TerryH

Post by TerryH »

This is now beyond me why you are not identifying the touchpad the same way in ScPup. At least peebee's fix helps.

Return to “Users”