Mac OS8.....at the click of a button! (lol)

Moderator: Forum moderators

mikewalsh

Mac OS8.....at the click of a button! (lol)

Post by mikewalsh »

Morning, guys & gals.

As y'all know by know, I frequent OMG!Ubuntu! quite a lot. Not only is it a good source of inspiration for Puppy stuff, they also have some really silly & rather "fun" stuff on there too.

Some of you may recall I published an SFS package a year or two back, based around an Electron app from a guy by the name of Felix Rieseburg. At the click of a button, running it just like any other app, you were able to boot, run & mess around with....

Windows 95

....if you felt so inclined.

At the time of release, Felix made no apologies for what he'd done. Yes, you could run it in a VM, and it would work better.....but his reason for throwing it together was to showcase what was possible with emulation, Javascript & Electron (AND because he could.)

Well.....the guy's gone and done it again. This time, at the click of a button, you can have Mac OS8, from around 1991, running on your desktop, whenever you feel like it..!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(Why, oh why...?!?) :roll:

---------------------------------------------------

Actually, that's not being fair. Felix has made a rather good job of this, and for an hour or so's distraction, it's great fun. There's no working internet connection, and even if there were, you're stuck with IE 3 or NetScape Navigator 3.1 (neither of which can handle modern DNS resolution).

There are a bunch of included apps though. Including an early Photoshop & Illustrator... There's a movie player (and a couple of included videos). There's even a bunch of more or less functional period game 'tryouts'.....including the classic Duke Nukem!

------------------------------------------------

It's easy to see where Canonical got their inspiration from for the much-maligned Ubuntu 'Unity' desktop. The design cues are all there, including the left-side window controls & the 'global' menu.

It's around the same size as Tahrpup when loaded - 900MB or so - though nowhere near as functional. God only knows why I ever bothered with this; this is the very same OS that was running on an incredibly balky Apple Lisa that put me off Cupertino's products for life, many moons ago. But it's like an itch.....ya just can't help scratching it..!! :D

( PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THESE ARE 64-BIT ONLY..!!)

You can find the SFS package here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cnjeD9 ... sp=sharing

For those of you who don't have the Windows 95 nut-job, you can find that one here:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rg6dQP ... sp=sharing

If you're mad enough - or deluded enough! - to try 'em.....have fun.

Mike. ;)
Last edited by mikewalsh on Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

ndujoe1

Re: Mac OS8.....at the click of a button! (lol)

Post by ndujoe1 »

Thanks for the info, and knowledge that these experiments work. Interesting.
greengeek

Post by greengeek »

Hi Mike - I downloaded the W95 but cant seem to get it running. ("Exec format error"). Is it 32 or 64bit?
cheers!
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

greengeek wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:46 am Hi Mike - I downloaded the W95 but cant seem to get it running. ("Exec format error"). Is it 32 or 64bit?
cheers!
Morning, Ian.

Ah, yes.....sorry; my bad. :oops: I should have pointed out that these are 64-bit only. Won't work with 560, I'm afraid.

I'll modify the OP to make that clearer.

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Virtualization”