Chrome in Fatdog 810

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

Chrome in Fatdog 810

Post by Clarity »

Yeh! When it installs, it installs with the ability to use the Microphone. Now, instead of typing, I can click the mic to launch! THANKS for this implementation.

Also, when I have a document open in Google Drive, I can now "talk" a document versus a need to type it. Thanks AGAIN for this operating smoothly in FATDOG.

This is truly a "modern" multimedia browser and with AVIdemux and some others this looks very nice.

Curious...does it allow KVM+QEMU. This PC has 16GB RAM - could run several VMs along side the main FD. I'll look around for a writeup somewhere.
TerryH

Re: Chrome in Fatdog 810

Post by TerryH »

There are qemu packages in the fatdog810 repository.

New Laptop - ASUS ZenBook Ryzen 7 5800H Vega 7 iGPU / 16 GB RAM

p310don

Post by p310don »

Installing the DEVX installs qemu in Fatdog.

Also, you can install virtualbox easily in Fatdog via the control panel -> updates tab
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@Clarity :-
Clarity wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:57 am Yeh! When it installs, it installs with the ability to use the Microphone. Now, instead of typing, I can click the mic to launch! THANKS for this implementation.

Also, when I have a document open in Google Drive, I can now "talk" a document versus a need to type it. Thanks AGAIN for this operating smoothly in FATDOG.

This is truly a "modern" multimedia browser....
I have the voice control stuff all working in my Chrome-portable. It's perfectly possible to get this working in most Pups that are capable of running Chrome; the important thing is to make Chrome "see" the microphone you want to use selected as the "default" one, even though they never show up under the Multiple Sound Card Wizard.

The way I get around this is to go to either /var/lib/mscw (or /var/local/mscw; some Puppy devs put it in one location, some in the other). Create a blank text file named "selected". Run

Code: Select all

arecord -l
.....in the terminal. This will detect, and display all your devices with a microphone. Select the device you want to use, copy its line from the output, then paste it into the file "selected" which you've just created. Save and exit.

After a re-start, Chrome should now see, and use the selected microphone as the "default". Note, this doesn't seem to affect the default sound card in use; I employ this trick so I can use the stereo mikes on my Logitech c920 HD "Pro" webcam as the "default" microphone in Chrome, allowing use of not only the voice search feature, but every other app in the Google ecosystem that can use voice commands, too.

Works for me, anyhow..! :thumbup:

Mike. ;)

Return to “Browsers and Internet”