Wine doesn't start the installation process for .exe files (FossaPup-64 9.5).

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

ThruHammer

Re: Wine doesn't start the installation process for .exe files (FossaPup-64 9.5).

Post by ThruHammer »

bigpup's post here is the one to go with, if, as you say, you'd prefer to run both 32 and 64 bit programs.

Remove any residual Wine related items and try again, though this time, make sure both the devx and 32compat libs are loaded beforehand. You must then run (all lowercase now) "ldconfig" from within a terminal and let the prompt return before running winecfg.

When asked about Gecko or Mono, hit the radio button for download. If it doesn't auto-start within a few seconds, Ctrl+C to close the Wine dialog and rerun winecfg.

As for the package from QuickPet, you could download the pet on its own and convert it to a loadable "squash," or SFS package.

If you'd like to take this route and avoid installing the pet, ask -- the method is easy.

bigpup

Re: Wine doesn't start the installation process for .exe files (FossaPup-64 9.5).

Post by bigpup »

make sure both the devx and 32compat libs are loaded beforehand. You must then run (all lowercase now) "ldconfig" from within a terminal

The Quickpet program in Fossapup64 9.5 does this as part of downloading and loading these using Quickpet.
But sure, it will not hurt to make sure it did get done, by using the ldconfig command.
A reboot and save will do it too.

Using 32bit or 64 bit versions of a program are up to you.
A lot of programs are now going to only be 64 bit.
32 bit versions may only be the older versions.
As to how the program runs.
I never see any difference, other than the newer the program version, the more features it usually has.
The newest version may only be offered in 64 bit.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Did you have better luck with Wine on Bionic64 before running Fossa?

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@ThruHammer - actually no; it didn't work, and I just didn't bather with it, because I had Amule and CherryTree working, and I was waiting to get a new computer (it was on the old one).

Grey

Post by Grey »

Try Wine's builds from Kron4ek: https://github.com/Kron4ek/Wine-Builds
They work great in Fossapup. Vanilla, Staging, TkG and Proton - your choice, there is everything.
Unpack it somewhere, for example in /opt and rename it for convenience, for example like this:

wine.png
wine.png (41.41 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

You need to run it directly by specifying the path to wine, for example: /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine
You can make a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ to /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine
You can make scripts to run a specific program without being tied to a disk partition:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
CURRENT_DIR="$( cd "$( dirname "${BASH_SOURCE[0]}" )" && pwd )"
cd "${CURRENT_DIR}"/AnimeStudio/wineprefix/drive_c/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/VortexTracker2.5/
WINEPREFIX="${CURRENT_DIR}"/AnimeStudio/wineprefix wine VortexTracker2.5.exe
Last edited by Grey on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Hey Grey, that was nice and painless. Unpacked everything in /tmp (cuz you know, this ain't my neck of the woods), symlinked the Wine binary to /usr/bin and set the run action. Whamo-Presto! Both eMule0.60b & MahJonggSolitaire3D launched without the need to download Mono nor Gecko. Darn decent!

FYI MrA, no need to run Cherrytree via Wine as both Focal and Bionic have dedicated builds.

Grey

Post by Grey »

I mainly use version 5.4 so far, as the most stable one. Wine's sixth line is only good for new games like Cyberpunk 2077. By the way, it's quite playable in Fossapup if you have Vulkan support. But with programs that are 3-5 years old, the sixth versions work badly.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

Y'all probably won't be surprised ― that it didn't work.

So I continued with the installation of the 32-bit Emule - to this Wine version ― wine-staging-linux-x86-v5.11-PlayOnLinux-x86_64.AppImage
I simply dragged the .exe file onto it. It went through the installation ― but didn't create any launching links; so how do I launch the program; and how do I find the Downloads folder in C/Program Files...?

For the Kron4ek version ― the only thing I can think of, that I didn't do is the following, which I didn't understand:

You need to run it directly by specifying the path to wine, for example: /opt/wine-stable/bin/wine

Where am I suppose to specify it?

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

The Windows stuff is hidden in your /root folder (.wine I recall). Hit the eye on the Rox toolbar and you'll see it. As for where to place "/opt/wine-stable/bin/wine" you would right-clk your emule executable and set the run action. I commented on this elsewhere.

Attachments
mr.a.jpg
mr.a.jpg (31.08 KiB) Viewed 1409 times
MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

Using the version - wine-staging-linux-x86-v5.11-PlayOnLinux-x86_64.AppImage - automatically uses 32-bit version.
There are 2 folders: /root/.wine and /root/.wine32. When I delete the wine32 folder ― then launch cherrytree_0.99.31.0_win64_setup.exe ― a new wine32 folder is created, and a message says that wine 32-bit is updated. Also when I launched Wine clicking on the AppImage file -> Applications -> Add application ― it shows drive_c; I copied cherrytree_0.99.31.0_win64_setup.exe file into drive_c of /root/.wine folder, and it didn't show; then copied it into /root/.wine32 folder's drive_c ― and I saw it in Wine's window.
So I need to use the 64-bit version. Any ideas? Should I ask the developers of the AppImage?

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Go with the pkg Grey suggested, this one. If you don't have room in your save file you should be able to symlink (relative) from outside to /opt so long as you have @ least ONE ext3/ext4 storage partition. Making your own squash build (SFS) shouldn't be a stretch either.

Kron4ek's staging build absolutely runs eMule0.60b-Installer.exe aboard Bionic64.

Tell me you have room for it somewhere and we'll setup it's 64b binary.

It requires ONE symlink.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@ThruHammer:
― Downloaded the file.
― Extracted to /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/wine.
― Clicked on /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/winecfg - there wasn't anything I needed to change; no message about Mono and Gecko. It created /root/.wine.
― Created a Symbolic-Link /usr/bin/wine to the file /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/wine.
― Clicked on cherrytree_0.99.31.0_win64_setup.exe - with Set Run Action set to wine "$@".
― Absolutely nothing happened.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Symlink the wine64 binary from where it is in /opt to /urs/bin, "link relative" then right-clk that symlink and rename it wine.

With eMule your options are limited. Cherrytree you should run native aboard Pup.

― Downloaded the file.

Symbolic link comes first, then you'd right-clk any exe and set the run action to wine, use command. No need to run any winecfg - it's automatic once you click your first exe installer ― Clicked on /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/winecfg - there wasn't anything I needed to change; no message about Mono and Gecko. It created /root/.wine.

Delete your /root/.wine folder and try again.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@ThruHammerv - still nothing happens.
CherryTree doesn't work; and it's not the latest version. On BionicPup ― it would crush when doing search-and-replace-all, for instance. And it's just a text program; should be light on the system, I think.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

You did let this Wine version download both Mono and Gecko, right?

I'll let you know what happens with Cherrytree right after it downloads...

How about this? And it opened without Mono or Gecko!

Attachments
mr.ctwe.jpg
mr.ctwe.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 938 times
mr.ctwe-2.jpg
mr.ctwe-2.jpg (83.07 KiB) Viewed 938 times
MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@ThruHammer - as I said ― I clicked on /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/winecfg - and it didn't ask to install Mono or Gecko.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

Reread my last post, then try, try again. If it works on my box it'll work on yours!

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:37 pm

Symlink the wine64 binary from where it is in /opt to /usr/bin, "link relative" then right-clk that symlink and rename it wine.

With eMule your options are limited. Cherrytree you should run native aboard Pup.

― Downloaded the file.

Symbolic link comes first, then you'd right-clk any exe and set the run action to wine, use command. No need to run any winecfg - it's automatic once you click your first exe installer ― Clicked on /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/winecfg - there wasn't anything I needed to change; no message about Mono and Gecko. It created /root/.wine.

Delete your /root/.wine folder and try again.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

Deleted /root/.wine.
Made a symlink from the file /opt/wine-6.3-staging-amd64/bin/wine64 and renamed to /usr/bin/wine.
Right-click on cherrytree...exe -> Set Run Action -> wine "$@" -> Use Command.
Clicked on cherrytree...exe; which launched the Wine updating process; which added the /root/.wine folder; and nothing else happened.

BTW about the AppImage file ― it creates only /root/.wine32 folder.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

After you symlink wine64 binary and rename it to wine, go ahead and set the run action of an exe file, hit the Cherrytree installer and go through the motions. When it's done, go into the directory of my second screenshot above and start the Cherrytree program. All its libs are included.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

Did all that; when clicking cherrytree...exe ― it launches Wine updating process, where it creates /root/.wine folder. It doesn't ask to install: Mono, Gecko. And the Program Files folder doesn't have CherryTree.

Program Files.png
Program Files.png (48.66 KiB) Viewed 921 times
Grey

Post by Grey »

The Linux version of Cherrytree works fine in Fossapup, but requires at least three libraries: libgtksourceviewmm-3.0-0v5 and libgspell-1-2 plus libxml++2.6-2v5
I prepared cherrytree_0.99.31-1_fossapup_amd64.pet, which itself downloads and installs everything that is required:
https://disk.yandex.ru/d/1LnKDfz8FEwWog
Launch via Menu>>Document>>CherryTree, because I decided that the best place is in the Documents section :)

Last edited by Grey on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ThruHammer

Post by ThruHammer »

He's in Bionic64.

With the Linux version on BionicPup ― it would crash when doing search-and-replace-all.

Dump /root/.wine AGAIN!

After you unpack, symlink and set the run action for exe files, click Cherrytree and let Wine create its working directory, /root/.wine.

Be PATIENT! WAIT for the Mono installer window -- hit Cancel!

Be PATIENT! It will eventually surface the Cherrytree installer dialog.

Continue with PATIENCE!

Grey

Post by Grey »

ThruHammer wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm

He's in Bionic64.

And why does the topic name clearly say - FossaPup-64 9.5?

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@ThruHammer - what do you mean by "set the run action for exe files"?

@Grey - it doesn't launch. in the downloading of the dependencies process ― there were a few errors. Is there something missing here?:

CherryTree Dependencies.png
CherryTree Dependencies.png (48.66 KiB) Viewed 719 times
Last edited by MrAccident on Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Go to the /usr/bin/ folder, right click on cherrytree file and select ListDD. Then select Missing. What is indicated there?

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@grey:

Code: Select all

libgspell-1.so.2 => not found
libxml++-2.6.so.2 => not found
Last edited by MrAccident on Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grey

Post by Grey »

You haven't clicked Missing in ListDD.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Grey - corrected

Grey

Post by Grey »

Now just install these two dependencies from the Puppy Package Manager by entering libgspell-1 and then libxml++ into its (PPM) search.

MrAccident

Post by MrAccident »

@Grey - works; thank you! The last dependencies downloaded for a very long time ― maybe that's why they failed to download in the process. It definitely belongs in Documents; I have countless text there. Amazing program; it was like replacing my car with the space-ship from Flight of the Navigator.

Return to “Users”