How to add or replace a YDRV.SFS

Moderator: Forum moderators

Clarity

How to add or replace a YDRV.SFS

Post by Clarity »

I just saw a post by a member offering a fix to an element of a PUP distro in the form of a "ydrv.sfs".

I am curious if one way of taking advantage of a fix of that sort is to merely use "isomaster" to merely add that SFS to the contents of files in the ISO such that the new created ISO, when booted, would find and use the added SFS?

Similarly, on a bootable CD/DVD of a given distro, could I merely use PBurn to add the ydrv.sfs file to the multi-session CD/DVD where it "might" get picked up on the next reboot?

Curious if the booting system would make use of the ydrv.sfs that is an external file to booting payload.

amethyst

Re: How to add or replace a YDRV.SFS

Post by amethyst »

If the ydrv has the correct name of its distribution it should be loaded when you boot the iso because the initrd script will look for all puppy related files. Best to build the new iso with the added files from scratch.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Similarly, on a bootable CD/DVD of a given distro, could I merely use PBurn to add the ydrv.sfs file to the multi-session CD/DVD where it "might" get picked up on the next reboot?

Try it and see!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

puppy_apprentice

Post by puppy_apprentice »

I've done something similar - i've added devx.sfs to Slacko 5.7 and during boot from CD isolinux gave me CRC error (it was 6/7 years ago so don't remember well).

gyrog

Post by gyrog »

To use a "ydrv...sfs":

1. Ensure that the name is correct for the Puppy you are using,
If the 'puppy...sfs' is 'puppy_eslacko64_6.9.9.12.sfs', then the 'ydrv...sfs' should be 'ydrv_eslacko64_6.9.9.12.sfs'.

2. Store it in the "install directory", i.e. where the 'puppy...sfs' resides, even if that is in an ISO, or on a multisession CD/DVD.

3. Boot the Puppy and the 'init' script in 'initrd.gz' will load it, along with any other Puppy standard sfs files.

Hint: Don't overwrite a 'ydrv...sfs' file using the same Puppy that has it loaded.
Edit: Hmm.. need to be more precise:
Usually the ydrv on disk is not loaded, since it is copied to RAM before being loaded. So you can safely overwrite the ydrv on disk.
BUT, if you have booted with a "pfix=nocopy" boot parameter, then the Puppy sfs files have not been copied to RAM, the ydrv on disk is loaded and should not be overwritten. To replace such a ydrv file, simply reboot without "pfix=nocopy", then overwrite the ydrv on disk.

Return to “Upgrade/Backup”