How I installed LibreOffice from Appimage in Fossapup64

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Shloz

How I installed LibreOffice from Appimage in Fossapup64

Post by Shloz »

I wanted to install LibreOffice in Fossapup64, however the only internet I can access now is on my cellphone, so no way to get the sfs. Instead, I downloaded the LibreOffice appimage version, copied it into /root, checked the exec box in properties ... and it works!
Just an FYI. Sorry if this is old news; I didn't find anything about appimages in Puppy Linux so I figured I'd post this info.
mikewalsh

Re: Appimage

Post by mikewalsh »

Mornin', Shloz!

You're quite right; it is already known. Along with I can't remember how many others, either... :)

Since we don't know whether or not we will ever regain access to Murga-Linux, I think I will start a new thread for this over here; "Using AppImages in Puppy Linux..." IIRC, the old thread was up to around 17/18 pages - some 280-odd posts. I started it around 3-3½ years ago, and basically it was left so that anybody could add info about any new AppImages they found; what they were called, what they were for, what they actually did.....along with whichever Pups they ran on, and what "tweaks" (if any) might be needed to do so.

There's 3 competing "standards" for portable, run-anywhere, Linux apps; AppImages, FlatPaks, and Snaps. Out of the three, the AppImage is the one nearest in concept to the Windows 'PortableApp' (containing everything required for it to run), i.e., you download it, stick it anywhere you like, and it just works. FlatPaks & Snaps, OTOH, although containerised & sand-boxed, require a specific 'framework' to be installed before you can even download them, never mind run them.....

Some Puppians have got the FlatPak or Snap frameworks to function under Puppy, but it takes a LOT of messing around to do so. AppImages, on the other hand, just seem to work, more often than not.....though a lot depends on whether the individual packaging them has done so properly, or just "ripped-off" an existing .deb package.....which still looks for missing, system dependencies.

The G.I.M.P is another good one. Have a look for aferrero over at GitHub. I won't spoil the surprise; I've given you just enough of a clue that you should be able to track down his GIMP AppImage 'continuous-builds' page.....which also works, OOTB. And that's just the tip of the iceberg; if you like the whole concept of portable, run-anywhere apps, you are in for a treat in Puppyland..!

(I have an externally-mounted partition, chock full of assorted 32- and 64-bit AppImages. I run these, from that external partition, via custom-built MenuEntries, in all Pups in the 'kennels'...)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Return to “Beginners Help”