How to set up an l2tp connection?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

Linux_newb

How to set up an l2tp connection?

Post by Linux_newb »

Hi there!

I'm not in a position right now to change ISP or buy new equipment like wi-fi routers etc.

Could someone help me to set up l2tp connection ?
I'd already tried to use net wizard and g2pppt, but it didn't work out !
Any ideas?
What could go wrong?!

Note that i don't mean configuration of my own vpn pptp server.

I need some hint how to install l2tp connection or some piece of advice how to use vpnpptp from sourcefourge https://sourceforge.net/projects/vpnpptp/

Thank you.

mistfire

Re: l2tp connection

Post by mistfire »

@Linux_newb
Try to use QuickPup. A Puppy Derivative that uses NetworkManager with built-in VPN support. L2TP is one of them

Linux_newb

Post by Linux_newb »

I'm sorry i didn't mention that i'm using the latest fossapup_64 release. I tried to find QuickPup there, but it is not here; it is not in the fossapup!
I looked into the network; i even tried to set up variable to find executable files, and of course i didn't find anything.

First days are quite painful. I tried to remove a directory using rm -ri; and it acted like i just typed rm, saying that the folder is not empty

In order to configure the network i even tried to plug in data from (ipconfig cmd on windows). I configured static ip because my isp changes it once in two weeks. And it seems like it uses lousy ppp not l2tp connection. The attempt was correct, because eth0 said that the network is configured, but it also didn't help. I saw some packets were flying across the nework, but i couldn't reach any website.

Where can i find QuickPup? Do i need to try some other version of PUPPY?

There is one more detail. Do executable files on linux have any format extension like .sh or something? How can i call list of executable files?

If everything i see in the console begins with root, then do i need to give permission to execute the file? How can i do it? Or do i need just to write chmod +x file.sh Could you bring some examples?

Thank you

mistfire

Post by mistfire »

@Linux_newb

QuickPup forum thread
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1743

williams2

Post by williams2 »

I tried to remove a directory using rm -ri; and it acted like i just typed rm, saying that the folder is not empty

rm seems to work properly in my FossaPup. Are you sure you used rm, and not rmdir? rmdir will print that error message.

i couldn't reach any website

Are the dns severs set up properly? What is in the file /etc/resolv.conf ?

Do executable files on linux have any format extension like .sh

No.

do i need to give permission to execute the file?

If you want to execute a file directly, then the executable bits should be set.
Typing chmod +x file.sh or chmod a+x file.sh should work.
Or right click the file in roxfiler file manager and select Properties, then check the executable boxes. Or select Permissions in the rox menu.

To execute a file in a directory that is not in the PATH, you need to type the path to the file.
For example, /root/file.sh
Or if the file is in the working dir, you can type ./file.sh
./ is the working directory.

You can execute a shell script file by typing, for example, sh file.sh
This will work whether the execute bits are set or not.

How can i call list of executable files?

You can print the files in the PATH like this:

Code: Select all

find $(  echo $PATH | tr : " " )

This will find files in PATH with "sfs" in the file path or name:
find $( echo $PATH | tr : " " ) | grep sfs
or:
find $( echo $PATH | tr : " " ) -type f -name '*sfs*'

This finds executable files in /root/:
find /root/ -type f -executable

This finds executable files in the current dir:
find -type f -executable

Linux_newb

Re: How to set up an l2tp connection?

Post by Linux_newb »

Thanks a lot Williams for all of your rigorous work you'd done. You are incredible man.

Test eth0 found the live network, auto DHCP also worked; easyPeasy showed an IP address, but Gpptp vpn 2.0 failed to connect...

By the way, I've recently found an article https://www.bestvpnz.com/tutorials/how- ... trongswan/ on open swan and strong swan. The problem is that a network manager on puppy os is a little bit different than on Cint. Is it worth trying to install those packages manually, without proper internet connection? Any suggestions how to unpack and install open swan /strong swan manually? I mean is it worth trying to use roxfiler or find executable bits in my case with .sh I'm confused because the article says that "Since you are going to want the NetworkManager plugin, select the package network-manager-strongSwan which will install the strongSwan libraries an required plugins as a dependencies.

There are similar programs like VPNIndonesia and i'm not sure if any program is a match for Puppy OS https://sourceforge.net/directory/os:wi ... l2tp+linux; for instance, Vpnppt is meant to work with Magic OS, but who knows may be some program is compatible with Puppy. Any suggestions?

Return to “Beginners Help”