Zathura won't open *.djvu files.

Issues and / or general discussion relating to Puppy

Moderator: Forum moderators

Zuzia

Zathura won't open *.djvu files.

Post by Zuzia »

Hi like in subject i install zathura and now i can open *.cbr and *.pdf without any problems, but when i try *.djvu apps just try open file half second[media][/media]. i see zathura windows and nothing more coz windows off without any error. I have all plugins and any libs missing when i install from puppy manager.
Someone have problem like mine before?

OscarTalks

Re: Zathura won't open *.djvu files.

Post by OscarTalks »

Hello,
Not sure about Zathura, but in the case of Evince document viewer it has to be compiled with the optional dependency library already installed before building, so you need (I think) dejavu libre installed first. This is the Evince 2.32.0 which I compiled in Dpup Wheezy and it displays .djvu files OK.
http://djvu.sourceforge.net/

Attachments
djvu-evince.jpg
djvu-evince.jpg (56.52 KiB) Viewed 931 times
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I decided to take a closer look at Zathura. You don't say what Puppy you are running, but testing in Radky's Dpup Stretch I booted fresh with no save file and then installed zathura and zathura-djvu via PPM. My test .djvu file then displays OK in Zathura.

Attachments
zathura-djvu.jpg
zathura-djvu.jpg (25.22 KiB) Viewed 919 times
Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

Hi
This is what i have i install before djvulibre but in puppy bionic 8 fail look screens.

Attachments
z03.png
z03.png (25.23 KiB) Viewed 912 times
z02.png
z02.png (15.41 KiB) Viewed 912 times
z01.png
z01.png (54.6 KiB) Viewed 912 times
Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

Attachment limit is 3 thats why next post... I cant install only that... coz no pet in repo.

Attachments
cbr work and pdf also but i still need djvu
cbr work and pdf also but i still need djvu
z05.jpg (68.47 KiB) Viewed 911 times
error download
error download
z04.png (21.89 KiB) Viewed 911 times
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I think the answer is that you must update the PPM database before installing the packages.
Looking at your attachments, the version numbers for djvulibre are different (3.5.27 and 3.5.25) between the first and the last images. This is probably because you did not update the database so the dependency for the plugin has not installed.
I tested just now in BionicPup64, fresh boot with no save, making sure to update PPM database first.
I only installed zathura and zathura-djvu (the plugin)
PPM detects and installs the dependencies as usual of course.
My test .djvu file displays OK in BionicPup64 too.

BY THE WAY:- The included program "qpdfview" opens .djvu files OK in this Puppy.

Attachments
zathura-djvu-bionic64.jpg
zathura-djvu-bionic64.jpg (46.81 KiB) Viewed 904 times
Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:21 pm

I think the answer is that you must update the PPM database before installing the packages.
Looking at your attachments, the version numbers for djvulibre are different (3.5.27 and 3.5.25) between the first and the last images. This is probably because you did not update the database so the dependency for the plugin has not installed.
I tested just now in BionicPup64, fresh boot with no save, making sure to update PPM database first.
I only installed zathura and zathura-djvu (the plugin)

Ok Friend then i uninstall all and update database again and install same like You and we see... I write when i end that. :)

I think about something and this is what i know. My zathuta open djvu without problem, but not all... look atachment please try download 1 position secret service djvu format from link on bottom and tell me You can open this or not...

https://archive.org/download/secretserv ... ne-1996-01

i test meny of this and no one work then i think meybe broken and i download again from network and still error on windows all work then file is ok...

look screen i download random djvu and i open it in zathura but when i try Secret Service Magazine still not work even if extension is same...
I have theory zathura cant open *.jp2 file :( this is bad coz old archive jp2 format is still used :( but You must first open this... Problem for me is 1 i not wont convert almoust 100 my file :( orginal format is rare but no without reason... And problem with jpeg also...

Attachments
djvu.jpg
djvu.jpg (127.79 KiB) Viewed 897 times
OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

I hope I understand you correctly. I downloaded the file SecretService_01_1996.djvu and it does open for me in zathura in BionicPup64 (80 pages), it also opens in qpdfview.

I believe files with the .jp2 extension are jpeg2000 image files so you would need an image viewer (with suitable library support) or mtpaint for those. In BionicPup64 the .jp2 files in your .zip archive do open in mtpaint. Images are often treated as a different category from documents. The .djvu files are regarded as documents and zathura is a document viewer.

Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

OscarTalks wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:28 pm

I hope I understand you correctly. I downloaded the file SecretService_01_1996.djvu and it does open for me in zathura in BionicPup64 (80 pages), it also opens in qpdfview.

I believe files with the .jp2 extension are jpeg2000 image files so you would need an image viewer (with suitable library support) or mtpaint for those. In BionicPup64 the .jp2 files in your .zip archive do open in mtpaint. Images are often treated as a different category from documents. The .djvu files are regarded as documents and zathura is a document viewer.

Yes 80 pages then all work for you but not work for me :( then probably i fuck something... Then i try uninstall all now and update ppm and instal only djvu and zathura and look again :( Thank You Mr.Oscar i dont know what i do wrong when install coz i use only ppm but i try again... And soon tell you how goes.

EDIT:
I try install all again after update ppm and nothing change still i cant open secret service. Then i think i miss some libs... But i dont heve any error and i dont know what i miss.
Friend i compile djvulibre and still nothing now i have in linux that version of plugin... and still same problem.
what i do wrong? I need tutorial step by step then we see what i miss.

this is my terminal zathura version info:

Code: Select all

root# zathura -v
zathura 0.3.8
(plugin) ps (0.2.5) (/usr/lib/zathura/ps.so)
(plugin) cb (0.1.7) (/usr/lib/zathura/cb.so)
(plugin) pdf-poppler (0.2.8) (/usr/lib/zathura/pdf.so)
(plugin) djvu (0.2.7) (/usr/lib/zathura/djvu.so)
root# 

And still v 2.5 and 2.7 but i updete ppm before install :( This is super wierd.
I test in qpdfview and guees what, also he not open SS file work exacly like zathura, window just blink for 1s and over...
Can You tell me where is zathura plugin directory? Becouse meybe i must add patch to plugin in zathurerc config file...

OscarTalks

Post by OscarTalks »

In the case of BionicPup64 the libdjvulibre.so.21 dependency library is already included (as it is needed for qpdfview to display .djvu files) so there is no need to install it by compiling or via PPM. In fact, doing this may cause the problem if you are installing a different version. This is really the only idea I have. I can not reproduce any problem here when I test in a fresh boot, so your problem must be caused by something you have installed or changed. The SecretService*.djvu file opens for me in qpdfview with a single left click in ROX. If I install zathura via PPM it also brings in about 3 small dependencies. Then the zathura-djvu plugin package (via PPM) installs by itself, not requiring any dependencies because libdjvulibre is already present in /usr/lib so after only those 2 simple steps I can open the SecretService*.djvu file in either qpdfview or zathura. No need to do any patches or make any changes to plugins or config. So I think you should try to make sure you have removed any extra versions of libdjvulibre and make sure you have only the original one that is included in the .iso

Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

Look Friend this is intresting :( even on virtual box work i try fossa but still work without any problem in bionic i have error in terminal

memory protection violation And this error tell me now only, this can be everything... :(

Attachments
vbz.jpg
vbz.jpg (157.68 KiB) Viewed 663 times
pcplague

Post by pcplague »

Using fossapup64 9.5 opened the secret service djvu file in qpdfview with no problem.
But using calibre book viewer gave error.

All the way from Portugal :thumbup: :thumbup2:

Zuzia

Post by Zuzia »

Yes super wierd i even download and install zathura latest version but then all prugin have error and i don know why coz even plugins i update... :( I not use ppm for that only deb version and still problems... I can try from source but puppy not have ubuntu command in terminal... Thansk for test on Fossa nativ for me but still i wont resolve this on bionic i not wont change distro i like this...

Return to “Users”