Opera Mini Browser

Moderator: Forum moderators

amethyst

Opera Mini Browser

Post by amethyst »

Millions of people have been using this browser on their mobile devices. I've been running it for years as my general day-to-day browser on my computer using an emulator. This is generally all I use and basically only use the big browsers for media content like video streaming. I've packaged the java version as an sfs-addon (2MB). The package contains the emulator and the browser. It's already setup and ready to use.

Requirements:
Java (JRE). You don't need the latest version, older will do. I'm using version 1.6

How to use:
Load the sfs and run from menu. Menu entry should be in the Internet section. Click Start to open the browser. This is pre-setup so you may need to change the screen size. Easiest way to do this is to right-click the microemulator tab in your taskbar/tray and select to maximize, close the application and restart.

Notes:
Your keyboard and mouse should work as normal for most things like with any other browser however some notable differences: Use the Opera Mini virtual keyboard to type numerals and special characters; to delete typing errors/text use backspace; 8 for quick down scrolling; 2 for quick up scrolling, etc. It's a bit of a learning curve in the beginning but that makes it part of the fun. This is for general browsing, you can't play media. Opera ceased development of the Java version in 2018 (now focusing on Android version, etc.) but it still works well on the Java platform.

Download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/129STkb ... sp=sharing

Attachments
OperaMini.png
OperaMini.png (132.44 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
mikewalsh

Re: Opera Mini Browser

Post by mikewalsh »

@amethyst :-

Hah!!

Took me long enough to figure it out..! "amethyst" and "nic007" are one & the same, aren't they? :D

Mike. :thumbup:

(EDIT:- Not that it makes a scrap of difference, mind. Your contributions have always been appreciated, y'know...)

-----------------------------------------------------
I shall have to re-visit this again, now I've got all-new hardware. Is this the same version as you previously released? If so, I shall have to dig it out.....and discover where I hid it. :shock: :lol:

Last edited by mikewalsh on Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

Wiz57

Post by Wiz57 »

This is just a heads-up! While in the past I used an older Opera Mini on my pda, that was
when Opera Software ASA was an independent Norwegian company. Opera is NO LONGER
independent, having been bought up by Qihoo 360, a Chinese owned company. The reason
I point this out, Opera Mini routes all traffic through Opera owned services to compress the
data, supposedly saving you data on a limited plan. This is similar to the VPN, though the
VPN is more for shielding you from snooping. Sounds good on paper, and when Opera
was Norwegian owned I could trust them for privacy. I cannot trust the new Opera, I don't
support Opera browser any longer.
Each user should be informed prior to utilizing any Opera software in current environment.
Wiz :|

Signature available upon request

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

Wiz57 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:07 pm

This is just a heads-up! While in the past I used an older Opera Mini on my pda, that was
when Opera Software ASA was an independent Norwegian company. Opera is NO LONGER
independent, having been bought up by Qihoo 360, a Chinese owned company. The reason
I point this out, Opera Mini routes all traffic through Opera owned services to compress the
data, supposedly saving you data on a limited plan. This is similar to the VPN, though the
VPN is more for shielding you from snooping. Sounds good on paper, and when Opera
was Norwegian owned I could trust them for privacy. I cannot trust the new Opera, I don't
support Opera browser any longer.
Each user should be informed prior to utilizing any Opera software in current environment.
Wiz :|

The application is still developed and run by the original company that started it in Norway. Two Chinese companies own 80% of the shares. It's still a Norwegian app operating from Norway with millions of users around the world.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:59 pm

@amethyst :-

Hah!!

Took me long enough to figure it out..! "amethyst" and "nic007" are one & the same, aren't they? :D

Mike. :thumbup:

(EDIT:- Not that it makes a scrap of difference, mind. Your contributions have always been appreciated, y'know...)

-----------------------------------------------------
I shall have to re-visit this again, now I've got all-new hardware. Is this the same version as you previously released? If so, I shall to dig it out.....and discover where I hid it. :shock: :lol:

This is one of the last Java versions released in 2018. They don't develop for the Java platform anymore. You may get the very latest Android version to run with an Android emulator but I haven't tried that. Those emulators seem huge in size. Someone may have a go at it but I won't bother. This is sufficient for my purposes.

davids45

Post by davids45 »

G'day,
Posting from Opera-Mini in SLC64PUP. Needed a Java sfs and runs only from the terminal - desktop file not working so far.
Interesting diversion from the usual browsing.
Can bookmarks be imported as an html file or pasted as text into the Bookmarks page somehow?
David S.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

davids45 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:01 am

G'day,
Posting from Opera-Mini in SLC64PUP. Needed a Java sfs and runs only from the terminal - desktop file not working so far.
Interesting diversion from the usual browsing.
Can bookmarks be imported as an html file or pasted as text into the Bookmarks page somehow?
David S.

Did you try to run the Opera Mini script in /usr/sbin instead (Java must be running of course)? Otherwise run the microemulator .jar file from the microemulator folder and select the Opera Mini .jad midlet from menu. No, I don't think one can import bookmark files, it uses its own native file system.

Return to “Browsers and Internet”