How to require username and password for Fossadog64 login? [SOLVED]

Moderator: fredx181

Makarovnik

How to require username and password for Fossadog64 login? [SOLVED]

Post by Makarovnik »

If I want to require username and password for login can I just install lightdm and edit config file to require password and good to go? Or is there a way to do this without installing a heavy login manager? Fossadog64 frugal install

Last edited by Makarovnik on Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

fredx181

Re: Require username and password

Post by fredx181 »

Makarovnik wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:52 am

If I want to require username and password for login can I just install lightdm and edit config file to require password and good to go? Or is there a way to do this without installing a heavy login manager? Fossadog64 frugal install

Without login-manager you can login as normal user (you can create new user from Menu: "Add new user" or use already existing user "puppy"):
Exit X
Type at the console:

Code: Select all

login

And enter your username and password.

But Note: this way it's NOT a true multi-user system (i.e. it's easy to get back to root user without entering password, i.e. Exit X (from normal user login) and type exit and then startx)
Therefore for a true multi-user system, a login-manager is required, I have little experience with lightdm, I use "slim" myself (config file is /etc/slim.conf where you can set e.g. autologin, default user etc...)

Fred

user1111

Re: How to require username and password for Fossadog64 login?

Post by user1111 »

Linux, the kernel, doesn't provide much in the way of interaction. Distros apply their own thing on top of the Linux kernel and there's typically a multitude of ways that is done, systemD, SysV ...etc.

You may find that you have a /etc/inittab file that init uses, and within that you may find that a number of virtual terminals might be set up, tty1, tty2 ...etc. that are typically available when you use ctrl-alt-F1 (or F2....etc).

If in inittab it indicates that tty1 is set to autologin, perhaps using getty, then if you edit that line to make it look similar to the tty2 line then that will do away with auto login and you'll see a login prompt. Puppy's tend to set the root password to woofwoof, you can change that using the 'passwd' command. Once logged in you typically start X (gui desktop) using the startx (or xwin) command.

But its all subjective, as your particular distro might do things differently. Especially as Puppy's aren't real multi-user systems.

If your /etc/inittab looks something like

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty -n -l /bin/autologinroot 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

Change it to

::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
tty1::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
tty2::respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2
::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/reboot

Out of interest, the ::sysinit:/etc line in that file is just stating that when the system initialises (sysinit) it should run /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. In turn typically that file looks for other things to run, such as setting up the network ..etc. etc. The ::ctraltdel... line states that when ctrl alt del is keyed in then it runs /sbin/reboot ... which typically starts actions such as closing down the system ...etc.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Honestly, if you want to interact with your OS like it's 'mainstream', just USE 'mainstream'.....

Mike. :roll:

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

mikewalsh wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:18 am

Honestly, if you want to interact with your OS like it's 'mainstream', just USE 'mainstream'.....

Mike. :roll:

Why ? It could well be that the OP doesn't want to use mainstream, but still like to login with password.

BTW, this thread has been moved to the wrong place (FossaPup), the OP mentioned FossaDog, it was originally started in "Dog House > UbuntuDogs".
EDIT: moved back to UbuntuDogs.

Fred

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thanks for all the suggestions. The nut of it is I just want to have some protection from unauthorized users. Even if it is modest protection. I'm not really looking for a multi user system, sorry I didn't make that clear in my original post.

In puppy linux I use xlock, then put xlock in my startup. When x is started I must enter a password to get to the desktop. I know this is not really that secure but it's better than nothing and would prolly stop a novice from seeing my desktop and files.

I couldn't get xlock to work with fossadog. I think there were some similar screen locking options but I can't remember which ones I tried but none of them worked.

I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the universe, ruler of the supermarket. - Poly Styrene

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Makarovnik wrote:

When x is started I must enter a password to get to the desktop. I know this is not really that secure but it's better than nothing and would prolly stop a novice from seeing my desktop and files.

The program "xsecurelock" should be installed already, from Menu > Logout you can select "Lock"
Or if you want it started at login, add it at the top of ~/.config/openbox/autostart :

#!/bin/sh
xsecurelock &

(or, probably adding a symlink to xsecurelock in ~/Startup should work also).

Fred

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thanks that works perfectly. I feel like a boob because I never noticed that feature and assumed it would be a menu item like puppy. I could prolly also add it to the menu and make a keyboard shortcut for it

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

I'm also trying out stretchdog. I'm running live with savefile and I found that slim does not work. I have enabled slim and rebooted but it goes straight to the desktop without asking for login. There is no /etc/inittab on my system either. Sorry if I should have posted this under the debiandogs section but it kind of fits into my original post regarding locking the system.

fredx181

Post by fredx181 »

Makarovnik wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:07 pm

I'm also trying out stretchdog. I'm running live with savefile and I found that slim does not work. I have enabled slim and rebooted but it goes straight to the desktop without asking for login. There is no /etc/inittab on my system either. Sorry if I should have posted this under the debiandogs section but it kind of fits into my original post regarding locking the system.

Strange that there is no /etc/inittab on your system, anyway, to disable autologin:

cp -af /etc/inittab-noauto /etc/inittab

To disable autologin for slim, in /etc/slim.conf set it to "no" (if it's not already):

# Automatically login the default user (without entering
# the password. Set to "yes" to enable this feature
auto_login          no

Fred

Makarovnik

Post by Makarovnik »

Thank you. I switched to bionicdog64 and am using xtrlock as a screen lock and have it auto start on login.

Return to “UbuntuDogs”