Signal-desktop 1.33.1

Moderator: Forum moderators

watchdog

Signal-desktop 1.33.1

Post by watchdog »

From a package for slackware 14.2 and now working in Fossapup64:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQ70Pc ... sp=sharing

Signal is an Android App in the Play Store fully open-source and it's the open-source alternative to whatsapp and telegram. My package can syncronize your desktop pc to your smartphone or tablet about using Signal from pc.

Last edited by watchdog on Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: Signal-desktop 1.33.1

Post by bigpup »

So what is it and what does it do?
A little info please!

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Leblance

Post by Leblance »

watchdog wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:50 am

From a package for slackware 14.2 and now working in Fossapup64:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iQ70Pc ... sp=sharing

Signal is an Android App in the Play Store fully open-source and it's the open-source alternative to whatsapp and telegram. My package can syncronize your desktop pc to your smartphone or tablet about using Signal from pc.

I am regularly impressed with the thought and care put into both the security and the usability of this app. It's my first choice for an encrypted conversation, after migrated from Whatsapp to signal. But does this package work as well as this GBWhatsApp modified version of WhatsApp?

watchdog

Post by watchdog »

I use everything without care: my focus is to get ready to use everything anyone else is using. I'm not an activist and I have not concerns.

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

bigpup wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:55 am

So what is it and what does it do?
A little info please!

AFAIK, bigpup, this doesn't do anything if you

• Don't have an Android phone

• Don't have the Signal app installed

Its entire purpose, so far as I've been able to make out, is purely and simply to sync with the Android app. If you're a dinosaur like me & don't use a smartphone, there's no point in even looking at this.

It's not a standalone desktop 'app' as such, like, for instance, in the way that Telegram is....

(*shrug*)

Mike. ;)

Puppy "stuff" ~ MORE Puppy "stuff" ~ ....and MORE! :D

FredW

Post by FredW »

Personally, I like Telegram. One reason is that you can have the same login on several devices, unlike WhatsApp or Signal. Thus, you can have it on several cellphones, your Windows laptop, your Windows desktop, a Mac desktop, etc., all with the same identity. The only feature that is unique to a given device is what they call a "secret" chat, one that is device-encrypted at each end, and that is, of course, because it is *device* encrypted. Normal chats are server-side encrypted, and all video and voice chats are end-to-end encrypted. Telegram says their source code is available for public viewing, which sounds good. And it's not owned by Facebook.

Since I use FossaPup64 much more than Windows, I was keen to try to get Telegram working here, and, much to my surprise, the "Get Telegram for Linux 64" button on the https://desktop.telegram.org/ page let me down load a compressed file which, when extracted to my home folder on my desktop contained what appeared to be an appimage, and when I clicked on that it opened right up and looks like it works fine. What a pleasant surprise! Now I'll just add a link to my Puppy desktop.

step

Post by step »

FredW wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:56 pm

the "Get Telegram for Linux 64" button on the https://desktop.telegram.org/ page let me down load a compressed file which, when extracted to my home folder on my desktop contained what appeared to be an appimage, and when I clicked on that it opened right up and looks like it works fine. What a pleasant surprise! Now I'll just add a link to my Puppy desktop.

Maybe I misunderstood you but when I clicked that "Get Telegram for Linux 64" button I downloaded a tar.xz file with two binary files inside. It doesn't look to be an appimage. However, below the "Get Telegram for Linux 64" button they do have two links respectively labelled "Flatpack" and "Snap". Perhaps you clicked one of those?

Grey

Post by Grey »

Telegram was developed by two brothers from Russia(they have already left :) ). The FSB demanded to give them the encryption keys. It seems like the authors refused and registered the program on some distant islands, at the same time buying a villa there :). In Russia there was an attempt to block Telegram... but of course nothing happened. There is a version(conspiracy theories) that the FSB received the encryption keys and the brothers' refusal was just a show so that everyone would continue to use the program.

Fossapup OS, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, 64 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB, Sound Blaster Audigy Rx with amplifier + Yamaha speakers for loud sound, USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro V3 + headphones for quiet sound.

Return to “Network”