Firefox freezes up

Moderator: Forum moderators

mivison

Firefox freezes up

Post by mivison »

My firefox keeps freezing up, and not just on one system. I have to restart my X service. Any one else having this problem?

Feek

Re: Firefox freezing?

Post by Feek »

Hi, I'm in Fatdog and my FF running perfectly well. Did you check if your internet connection is ok?

ravensrest

Post by ravensrest »

Yes, I had the same problem. I replaced the built-in video board with and after-market card. Seemed to solve the problem.
BS

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

I have had this problem now for months! On different Puppy's firefox has suddenly frozen. Only in a terminal and using 'killall' will shut it down. Htop or the task manager is the other option.
I've not really found out the cause. On Bionic and Fossa it happens and with various different kernels. On WeeDog32 or WeeDog64 firefox has not shown the same sudden freeze behaviour.

@ravensrest that is interesting! Video card issues as the cause, is a lead to be followed.

Flash

Re: Firefox freezes up

Post by Flash »

Me too, in Easypup 2.4.91 and several older Puppies, with the latest Firefox downloaded from the Mozilla site. It seems to happen after Firefox has had a number of tabs open for a while. To recover, I restart the X server (from the Shutdown menu), then start Firefox, choose "Restore" and I'm right back where I was.

Chaos coordinator :?
mivison

Post by mivison »

I knew I wasn't the only one. I hope someone will find the solution soon.
I love Puppy and Firefox. I'd hate to have to ditch one of them. :cry:

ozsouth

Post by ozsouth »

@mivison - have you tried different versions? In the browser section there are several options. Some may be less memory intensive (the usual reason for lockups). I package a 64bit ESR version which doesn't need apulse (that caused me issues) & there are others too.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

Firefox help:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fi ... responding
Firefox hangs or is not responding - How to fix

Forum Global Moderator
The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

mivison

Post by mivison »

I'm thinking that turning off the hardware acceleration might have fixed it. I will test it for awhile and see.

xenial

Post by xenial »

I have been experiencing the same thing randomly with firefox..Always seems to occur when media is being used.I only have a 2gb laptop and the RAM runs out of control and freezes the entire system up.

Vivaldi browser exhibits no such behavour but i prefer firefox to be honest.Not sure if changing the firefox location helps in any way as i run from mnt/home.

mouldy

Post by mouldy »

I was having this problem for a while, ESPECIALLY when clicking on link would open it in an older built in Firefox rather than the newer one. Didnt happen with Chrome. I finally figured out I had a bad RAM stick. My system had 2G RAM, but apparently it was trying to do everything with 1G. I upgraded to 4G RAM and no more problem. The newer browsers are RAM hogs. Chrome didnt freeze up but would get bit glitchy/slow.

On older computers want to turn off hardware acceleration, smooth scrolling, etc. You will be much happier. The browser people want to assume you have latest greatest hardware so optimize for that.

xenial

Post by xenial »

It predominantly seems to occur upon the exit and signing out of facebook..Some really bad scripting occuring on that website,

mivison

Post by mivison »

@xenial. Did you try the "no hardware acceleration"?

xenial

Post by xenial »

@mivison
Yes i did and have knocked the content processes down to 2.There is an improvement but facebook is largely the culprit site.

hinojojojo

Post by hinojojojo »

Yea, I have had the same issue of firefox freezing. It actually freezes everything in my Slacko7, especially when I have firefox and a few other software open. Sometimes not even killing it fixes it, but have restart x to fix it.
I have always thought that it may be a RAM issue, I have only 1 Gb. Looking forward for a fix to this browser freezing issue. In the meantime I am avoiding do much stuff when I have firefox open.

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

hello hinojojojo,

I have 16 gigs and several machines with 8 gigs of RAM, Firefox freezes on them as well.

8Geee

Post by 8Geee »

Sometimes its worth having an extension or two in Firefox that cleans up scripting. UBO or the lite version, and a "Link Cleaner"... the latter might just do the trick by editing the script down to the target, without having to parse all that garbage scripting in between request and destination. I use one in the AtomicPup using FF66.0.5, the old one I'm now using has FF27.0.1 and in some cases just ignores certain scripting (good example is Yahoo). Baisicly, this problem smells of 'black-hole scripting' that is quite nefarious.

PS: after writing this and checking add-on list "Clear URLs" is the recommended add-on I use... there are several "Link Cleaner" named add-ons I meant link cleaner as a type of add-on, not a name. :oops:

YRMV
8Geee

Money talks... no, it shouts, so that it doesn't have to hear common sense.

Return to “Browsers”