"Unable to boot please use a kernel appropriate for your i686 CPU"

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

dkc4343

"Unable to boot please use a kernel appropriate for your i686 CPU"

Post by dkc4343 »

Hi Puppy Experts,

I have an age-old PC running Windows XP.
Following are the specs:
Windows XP 2002 SP1
256 RAM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
Motherboard with Phoenix AwardBIOS

I want to give this PC a taste of Linux so I installed the latest Puppy Linux on a flash drive and booted from it but it's showing me something like this: Unable to Boot ‘Please Use a Kernel Appropriate for your CPU i686.

I googled around and found a solution to enable virtualization but my motherboard doesn't support it so what can I do?

Is there an older version of Puppy that supports this PC from the dinosaur age? :)

mikewalsh

Re: Unable to Boot Please Use a Kernel Appropriate for your i686 CPU

Post by mikewalsh »

@dkc4343 :-

Hallo.....and Image to the "kennels".

That's an understandable mistake to make. What's you've done is to attempt to boot a 64-bit Puppy on a 32-bit machine. Naturally, it doesn't like it.

You can boot 32-bit on a 64-bit machine, but NOT 64-bit on a 32-bit one. It won't work that way round. So.... There's literally 1000s of Puppys & 're-spins' out there, dating back to 2004/5, so there's plenty to choose from..! :)

My personal recommendation would be to give DPup 'Stretch', by radky, a look. I have this running on a similar vintage of Dell laptop, from 2002. It also runs a Pentium 4 (@ 2.6 GHz), though it has 1.5 GB of RAM. However:-

Amount of RAM is very important where Puppy is concerned, because Pup's default behaviour is to try and load everything into RAM, and run it from there for the duration of the session. This is what makes her so fast, because RAM is by far & away the fastest component of any computer.

In your own case, you have very little of the stuff. If you're running a P4, the chipset on your machine ought to be able to support up to 2GB of RAM, albeit only DDR1-gen. 256 MB is going to make it awkward to be able to run Puppy the way she was intended to run, along with all the advantages; this is what's known as a 'frugal' install.....if you hang around the forums very long, you'll hear a lot about this concept. A better term would be 'standard' install.

You would have to go with WE call the 'full' install, which automatically disables many of Puppy's best features, and gives a very lack-lustre experience. It sounds a contradiction in terms, I know; we really need to get this bit of the documentation re-written, or at least a note on the Puppy home page to this effect. The better term for this would really be the 'legacy' install, and is strictly for resource-starved hardware that doesn't have a choice.

The first recommendation, really, to ensure that you have a good Puppy experience, ought to be to try and purchase/install some extra RAM (if possible). My own elderly Dell ran Puppy very sweetly with a P4, but ONLY after I'd bought more RAM, and boosted the original feeble 128 MB to its max of 2 GB. Then, Pup became very enjoyable to use, because everything was able to work the way it was intended to.....

If you stick with elderly Puppies that WILL run on your hardware 'as-is', then you won't be able to run any up-to-date software. And that includes browsers; especially browsers.

---------------------------------------------

I guess it's NOT what you were expecting to hear! But unless you CAN do something about the amount of RAM you've got, you'll get a rather dim impression of Puppy.....when she's truly capable of giving SO much more. We genuinely would like you to enjoy Puppy - it's a great little OS for old machines - but how some of those old XP-era computers ever managed to run at all with so little in the way of resources totally gobsmacks me. I can't figure it out at all.

Any chance you could let us know the make and - more importantly - the model? We might then be able to recommend a 'best' course of action after a wee bit of research, y'see.

Mike. ;)

Last edited by mikewalsh on Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigpup

Re: "Unable to boot please use a kernel appropriate for your i686 CPU"

Post by bigpup »

To identify 32 or 64 bit Puppy versions.

In the iso file name look for 32 or 64 or nothing.
Examples:
Bionicpup32_8.0.iso is 32bit.
Bionicpup64_8.0.iso is 64bit.
Xenialpup 7.5.iso is 32bit.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

Hi Mike
Sharing a curiosity
My CPU is intel P4 3.40Ghz, ASRock motherboard - 945GCM-S and Bios America Megatrends and I can use both architectures
a long time ago I used another Biostar card and made exactly the same "error" blocking the use of another architecture

This is "new" for me

Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (104.61 KiB) Viewed 3352 times

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

dkc4343

Re: Unable to Boot Please Use a Kernel Appropriate for your i686 CPU

Post by dkc4343 »

mikewalsh wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Hallo.....and Image to the "kennels".

That's an understandable mistake to make. What's you've done is to attempt to boot a 64-bit Puppy on a 32-bit machine. Naturally, it doesn't like it.

You can boot 32-bit on a 64-bit machine, but NOT 64-bit on a 32-bit one. It won't work that way round. So.... There's literally 1000s of Puppys & 're-spins' out there, dating back to 2004/5, so there's plenty to choose from..! :)

My personal recommendation would be to give DPup 'Stretch', by radky, a look. I have this running on a similar vintage of Dell laptop, from 2002. It also runs a Pentium 4 (@ 2.6 GHz), though it has 1.5 GB of RAM. However:-

Amount of RAM is very important where Puppy is concerned, because Pup's default behaviour is to try and load everything into RAM, and run it from there for the duration of the session. This is what makes her so fast, because RAM is by far & away the fastest component of any computer.

In your own case, you have very little of the stuff. If you're running a P4, the chipset on your machine ought to be able to support up to 2GB of RAM, albeit only DDR1-gen. 256 MB is going to make it awkward to be able to run Puppy the way she was intended to run, along with all the advantages; this is what's known as a 'frugal' install.....if you hang around the forums very long, you'll hear a lot about this concept. A better term would be 'standard' install.

You would have to go with WE call the 'full' install, which automatically disables many of Puppy's best features, and gives a very lack-lustre experience. It sounds a contradiction in terms, I know; we really need to get this bit of the documentation re-written, or at least a note on the Puppy home page to this effect. The better term for this would really be the 'legacy' install, and is strictly for resource-starved hardware that doesn't have a choice.

The first recommendation, really, to ensure that you have a good Puppy experience, really ought to be to try and purchase some extra RAM (if possible). My own elderly Dell ran Puppy very sweetly with a P4, but ONLY after I'd bought more RAM, and boosted the original feeble 128 MB to its max of 2 GB. Then, Pup became very enjoyable to use, because everything was able to work the way it was intended to.....

If you stick with elderly Puppies that WILL run on your hardware 'as-is', then you won't be able to run any up-to-date software. And that includes browsers; especially browsers.

---------------------------------------------

I guess it's NOT what you were expecting to hear! But unless you CAN do something about the amount of RAM you've got, you'll get a rather dim impression of Puppy.....when she's truly capable of giving SO much more. We genuinely would like you to enjoy Puppy - it's a great little OS for old machines - but how some of those old XP-era computers ever managed to run at all with so little in the way of resources totally gobsmacks me. I can't figure it out at all.

Any chance you could let us know the make and - more importantly - the model? We might then be able to recommend a 'best' course of action after a wee bit of research, y'see.

Mike. ;)

Thanks a lot for such a detailed reply. That is the real power of the Linux community (of which I am a proud member since 2007 or so).

As far as the make and the model goes, it was all assembled by a local vendor. Back in the day, around the same time as the dot-com uprising in the late 90s, Microsoft or Apple or any other standard models of PCs or Macs or any computers would cost a fortune in India. (By the way, I am from India.) I remember when I wanted to have my first PC, the genuine Windows 98 OS would cost me more than an assembled PC itself, and, like most of the world, I was completely unaware of the Linux world. Like millions of people around the world, I thought computers mean Microsoft and vice versa. So I got my PC assembled and the vendor installed a pirated version of Windows XP. (Back then, I didn't even know that it was pirated or I was doing something illegal!) Vendors would generally assemble a PC with 128GB of RAM (and our nearby cybercafe's server had 1GB RAM) but I convinced myself to have 256 GB of RAM for better performance because what little I knew about the computers, I knew RAM would be vital for performance. I had a broadband connection back then and 256 GB was worth it.

Now, back to square one, I still need more RAM to run Puppy Linux. :lol: Let me see if I can find DDR1 anywhere and will come back to you.

dkc4343

Post by dkc4343 »

bigpup wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:09 am

To identify 32 or 64 bit Puppy versions.

In the iso file name look for 32 or 64 or nothing.
Examples:
Bionicpup32_8.0.iso is 32bit.
Bionicpup64_8.0.iso is 64bit.
Xenialpup 7.5.iso is 32bit.

Useful info. I will keep that in mind. :thumbup:

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

@PipzDex :-

Mm. O-kayyy.....

At a guess - without having more info about it - what you have there is either a "Prescott" 551 Pentium 4 or a "Cedar Mill" 651 Pentium 4.

Unlike the 32-bit-ONLY versions (usually on a FSB of 400 MHz, and utilising Socket 478), the two mentioned above are on a FSB of 800 MHz, and more likely to be in Socket 775 format. These ARE 64-bit capable, and have HyperThreading.....thus a single-core is able to act like a dual-core.

Intel did do a number of 32-bit P4s with H/T, but these were on the 533 MHz FSB, and were stuck with the older instruction sets.

Can you let me see the next section of PupSysInfo? The one that's just showing at the bottom of your screenshot - /proc /cpuinfo. That's the section I need to see for confirmation.

----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Do you by any chance run WINE? If you do, there's a couple of extra things you can do that'll help:-

• This wee program - CPU TrueSpeed, by a Russian guy name of Igor P. Zenkov - is an ultra-high precision, CPU speed detector that will measure CPU speed in real-time. More importantly, some of the other tabs give a whole heap of extra info that help to identify individual CPUs:-

CPU TrueSpeed

(This is a safe download; I've obtained several items from uptodown.com.....none have given any problems to date.)

• You can also visit CPU World.com. This is where I get all my CPU info from. They have a small utility, which runs well under WINE, and which analyses your CPU's microcode data to give you complete information on it. It then displays that info on a page on their site, giving you the option to either keep that info private or to share it with other site members.

You can download the utility here:-

https://www.cpu-world.com/Download/CWID.exe

(That's a direct link, and is completely safe. These guys have absolutely nothing to gain from putting malware on your machine.)

Mike. ;)

Adam Li

Post by Adam Li »

@dkc4343

Maybe useful informations about Intel's Pentium 4 Family.

I used P4 based PC up to year 2010 upgrading it to P4 3 GHz HT and 2 x 1 GB RAM working in Dual Channel Mode. This is a significant difference beetwen Single Channel RAM and Dual Channel Mode - boost RAM Speed up to 2 times, but it's depended on mobo - what model and version is?

P4 and DIMM1 memory should be very low cost on second-hand market...

BTW Intel's 64-bit instructions set is rather surrogate equivalent to AMD64 instructions set, which has become the standard, P4 newer was a true 64-bit processor IMO.

Have a nice day

Adam Li

Laptop Core2 Duo CPU T6400 @ 2.00GHz / 3GB / GeForce 9300M GS
BionicPup32-8 19.03 / Precise 5.7.1 - Both Frugal Instal on HDD
Sorry for possible mistakes - English is not my mother tongue.

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @dkc4343

Lets begin with some facts. Pup Sysinfo can supply specs from your PC.
Follow the path from Applications > System > Pup-sysinfo and then
mainboard > CPU. After a moment you'll see something like this:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
Manufacturer: Intel
External Clock: 133 MHz
Min/Max Speed: 600/1400 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1400 MHz (and so on)

I cut a few lines; this is from my laptop.
Further down that page you'll see more info:
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz (and so on)

You can see similar info for memory:

▶—— COMPUTER MEMORY ——◀

Personal Storage Folder:
Name: /PUP_SYS/upupbbsave
Total Size: 54G
Free Space: 50G

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2013 MB
<---- memory I have available --<<
Used RAM: 1582 MB
Free RAM: 431 MB

Actual Used RAM: 598 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 1415 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

I (generally) run older CPU. I put in as much memory as possible.
For years I ran a P4 (but 3GiHz) with 2GiB or RAM. That system 'died' - would not boot.
Now I'm running 32bit uPupBB32. Performance: Can watch youtube video. (even on this 1.4GiHz CPU).
Videos load slowly, but generally do not 'jump'. I found some of the older versions of puppy ran more slowly than uPupBB32.

Note: If you PC runs a Pentium P4 M (mobile) you must add code -- forcepae to the bootload menu.lst file or you will see the message you wrote about at the beginning. Before I added this code - I saw the message you saw.
Make sure your CPU isn't Pentium P4 M!

All the best

cobaka

собака --> это Русский --> a dog
"c" -- say "s" - as in "see" or "scent" or "sob".

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

mikewalsh wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:40 am

Mm. O-kayyy.....

At a guess - without having more info about it - what you have there is either a "Prescott" 551 Pentium 4 or a "Cedar Mill" 651 Pentium 4.

Unlike the 32-bit-ONLY versions (usually on a FSB of 400 MHz, and utilising Socket 478), the two mentioned above are on a FSB of 800 MHz, and more likely to be in Socket 775 format. These ARE 64-bit capable, and have HyperThreading.....thus a single-core is able to act like a dual-core.

Intel did do a number of 32-bit P4s with H/T, but these were on the 533 MHz FSB, and were stuck with the older instruction sets.

Can you let me see the next section of PupSysInfo? The one that's just showing at the bottom of your screenshot - /proc /cpuinfo. That's the section I need to see for confirmation.

----------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:- Do you by any chance run WINE? If you do, there's a couple of extra things you can do that'll help:-

• This wee program - CPU TrueSpeed, by a Russian guy name of Igor P. Zenkov - is an ultra-high precision, CPU speed detector that will measure CPU speed in real-time. More importantly, some of the other tabs give a whole heap of extra info that help to identify individual CPUs:-

CPU TrueSpeed

(This is a safe download; I've obtained several items from uptodown.com.....none have given any problems to date.)

• You can also visit CPU World.com. This is where I get all my CPU info from. They have a small utility, which runs well under WINE, and which analyses your CPU's microcode data to give you complete information on it. It then displays that info on a page on their site, giving you the option to either keep that info private or to share it with other site members.

You can download the utility here:-

https://www.cpu-world.com/Download/CWID.exe

(That's a direct link, and is completely safe. These guys have absolutely nothing to gain from putting malware on your machine.)

Mike. ;)

Hi @mikewalsh :thumbup:
This is the info

▶—— CPU ——◀

Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Socket Designation: CPUSocket
Voltage: 1.4 V
External Clock: 200 MHz
Min/Max Speed: 2403/3403 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:3403 MHz, 1:3403 MHz
Core Count: 1
64-bit capable: Yes

Frequency governor : ondemand
Freq. scaling driver : acpi-cpufreq

l1tf:Mitigation: PTE Inversion
meltdown:Mitigation: PTI
spec_store_bypass:Vulnerable
spectre_v1:Mitigation: __user pointer sanitization
spectre_v2:Mitigation: Full generic retpoline, STIBP: disabled, RSB filling

▶—— /proc/cpuinfo ——◀

cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0x4
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 0
initial apicid : 0
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts cpuid pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm pti
bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf
bogomips : 6781.08
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

processor : 1
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
stepping : 10
microcode : 0x4
cache size : 2048 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 1
apicid : 1
initial apicid : 1
fdiv_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 5
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx lm constant_tsc pebs bts cpuid pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl est cid cx16 xtpr lahf_lm pti
bugs : cpu_meltdown spectre_v1 spectre_v2 spec_store_bypass l1tf
bogomips : 6781.08
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 128
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

about the other information let me be free from work and check it

I don't normally use wine, my idea of using linux (in all variants) is to try to expand my mind and every day to learn something new and find a way not to depend on w * at all, but right now I can make an exception :-D

In fact, I have a brand new Acer ICH5 64b laptop and can't wait for the warranty to end to install and use my updated version of Precise with no regrets :-D

until then

Cheers :thumbup2:

Pentium (R) 2.20GHz I RAM: 8.0 GB I F96-CE_5 I Kernel 6.6.8-64oz-ao I Glibc: 2.31 I 1600x900 Px

My Puppy Stuff and more

greengeek

Post by greengeek »

dkc4343 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Hi Puppy Experts,

I have an age-old PC running Windows XP.
Following are the specs:
Windows XP 2002 SP1
256 RAM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.80 GHz
Motherboard with Phoenix AwardBIOS

I want to give this PC a taste of Linux so I installed the latest Puppy Linux on a flash drive and booted from it but it's showing me something like this: Unable to Boot ‘Please Use a Kernel Appropriate for your CPU i686.

I googled around and found a solution to enable virtualization but my motherboard doesn't support it so what can I do?

Is there an older version of Puppy that supports this PC from the dinosaur age? :)

Hi dkc4343 are you able to post the output when you enter the following command into a terminal? :

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo

dkc4343

Post by dkc4343 »

cobaka wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:07 pm

Hello @dkc4343

Lets begin with some facts. Pup Sysinfo can supply specs from your PC.
Follow the path from Applications > System > Pup-sysinfo and then
mainboard > CPU. After a moment you'll see something like this:

Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz
External Clock: 133 MHz
Min/Max Speed: 600/1400 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:1400 MHz (and so on)

I cut a few lines; this is from my laptop.
Further down that page you'll see more info:
cpu family : 6
model : 13
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.40GHz (and so on)

You can see similar info for memory:

▶—— COMPUTER MEMORY ——◀

Personal Storage Folder:
Name: /PUP_SYS/upupbbsave
Total Size: 54G
Free Space: 50G

Memory Allocation:
Total RAM: 2013 MB
<---- memory I have available --<<
Used RAM: 1582 MB
Free RAM: 431 MB

Actual Used RAM: 598 MB Used - (buffers + cached)
Actual Free RAM: 1415 MB Free + (buffers + cached)

I (generally) run older CPU. I put in as much memory as possible.
For years I ran a P4 (but 3GiHz) with 2GiB or RAM. That system 'died' - would not boot.
Now I'm running 32bit uPupBB32. Performance: Can watch youtube video. (even on this 1.4GiHz CPU).
Videos load slowly, but generally do not 'jump'. I found some of the older versions of puppy ran more slowly than uPupBB32.

Note: If you PC runs a Pentium P4 M (mobile) you must add code -- forcepae to the bootload menu.lst file or you will see the message you wrote about at the beginning. Before I added this code - I saw the message you saw.
Make sure your CPU isn't Pentium P4 M!

All the best

cobaka

With the help of previous replies, I decided to give "Dpup Stretch 7.5" a go. Prepared the live USB with the help of Pendrivelinux.com and selected USB to boot from. This is what happened. BTW, I have attached a working USB optical mouse and USB keyboard in place of PS/2 mouse and keyboard as they are useless.

https://imgur.com/a/HiO8wIA

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

Hello @dkc4343

You posted a link: https://imgur.com/a/HiO8wIA

When I click on this link the end result is a black screen. For a moment I see a glimpse of 'something'. A momentary glimpse.
In the screen-shot, below: What I see when I click on the link.

I don't understand your posting. Sorry.

cobaka

Attachments
screen-shot.jpg
screen-shot.jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

here is what you're not seeing:

879Zf59.jpg
879Zf59.jpg (58.4 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

O-kay. After some detetctive work, my considered opinion is that you have there a "Prescott"-cored Pentium 4 551 @ 3.4 GHz.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_ ... 00EK).html

Some of the info was misleading; this is partly Intel's fault for making so MANY different 'variations on a theme', often with only minor differences. Your L2 cache suggested a "Cedar Mill" 651.....but the voltage suggested otherwise. (That was more in line with the "Prescott" 551, if I'm honest; 0.2 V difference in total). Doesn't sound a lot, I know, but 0.2 V is a big difference to a CPU core..!

The eventual giveaway was the 'Family' & 'Model' numbers within each core's readout. These are what expose the actual 'core-steppings', or 'revisions' that were produced over the chip's life-span. Think of the 'Family' number as like a major version of, say, a browser.....and the 'Model' number as like the various 'point-releases' during that major version's life-span. This is a gross over-simplification, really, but it serves to get the idea across.

Essentially:-

• "Cedar Mill 651" - Family : 15, Model : 6

• "Prescott 551" - Family : 15, Model : 4

These would have been 'set in stone', and would never have changed. However, the peculiarity here is that your 551 has 2 MB (2048 kb) of L2 cache; mainline production 551s only had 1 MB (1024 kb) of L2. I have to assume that this was one of the very last 551s produced, since by then Intel had identified the 'Prescott' core's two major failings - huge heat production, and parasitic current leakage within the core circuitry itself, due to having reached the limits of 90 μm lithography's ability to cope with 'Netburst's' extremely high clock speeds & ultra-deep pipelining.

Consequently, they dashed off a number of variations in a relatively small space of time before tooling-up for the new 'Cedar Mill' core on 65 μm lithography instead. Many of these variations included additional features that wouldn't have been available in the 'mainline' production run, and were produced in such a short space of time, and in such relatively small numbers, that they were never well-documented.

So, it would seem you have a bit of a 'hidden gem' there..! :D

Mike. ;)

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

rockedge wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:51 pm

879Zf59.jpg

HI Rockedge
This error seems to be from the compilation of the main sfs???? , I already had the honor of suffering it when I try a xenial remaster with newer packages from woof-ce, although it has not happened to me with any puppy that has been released ... Strange

My Puppy Stuff and more

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:04 pm

O-kay. After some detetctive work, my considered opinion is that you have there a "Prescott"-cored Pentium 4 551 @ 3.4 GHz.

https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_ ... 00EK).html

Some of the info was misleading; this is partly Intel's fault for making so MANY different 'variations on a theme', often with only minor differences. Your L2 cache suggested a "Cedar Mill" 651.....but the voltage suggested otherwise. (That was more in line with the "Prescott" 551, if I'm honest; 0.2 V difference in total). Doesn't sound a lot, I know, but 0.2 V is a big difference to a CPU core..!

The eventual giveaway was the 'Family' & 'Model' numbers within each core's readout. These are what expose the actual 'core-steppings', or 'revisions' that were produced over the chip's life-span. Think of the 'Family' number as like a major version of, say, a browser.....and the 'Model' number as like the various 'point-releases' during that major version's life-span. This is a gross over-simplification, really, but it serves to get the idea across.

Essentially:-

• "Cedar Mill 651" - Family : 15, Model : 6

• "Prescott 551" - Family : 15, Model : 4

These would have been 'set in stone', and would never have changed. However, the peculiarity here is that your 551 has 2 MB (2048 kb) of L2 cache; mainline production 551s only had 1 MB (1024 kb) of L2. I have to assume that this was one of the very last 551s produced, since by then Intel had identified the 'Prescott' core's two major failings - huge heat production, and parasitic current leakage within the core circuitry itself, due to having reached the limits of 90 μm lithography's ability to cope with 'Netburst's' extremely high clock speeds & ultra-deep pipelining.

Consequently, they dashed off a number of variations in a relatively small space of time before tooling-up for the new 'Cedar Mill' core on 65 μm lithography instead. Many of these variations included additional features that wouldn't have been available in the 'mainline' production run, and were produced in such a short space of time, and in such relatively small numbers, that they were never well-documented.

So, it would seem you have a bit of a 'hidden gem' there..! :D

Mike. ;)

HI @mikewalsh
I thank you for all the attention and your time dedicated to the info of my processor and your answer ... I can only say WOW !! I will confess that I found this processor in a junkyard where it was going to be destroyed and out of curiosity I looked at the complete cabinet and decided to buy it, the motherboard no longer worked but the processor, ram memory and other accessories I took advantage of them by updating the equipment to the maximum where did I send you all this information ... Again, thank you very much !!

My Puppy Stuff and more

mikewalsh

Post by mikewalsh »

Apologies for "derailing" your thread with all this CPU research! It happens on the Puppy Forums, more often than we'd care to admit, I'm sorry to say..... :oops:

Mike. ;)

cobaka

Post by cobaka »

@mikewalsh

Apologies for "derailing" your thread with all this CPU research! It happens on the Puppy Forums, more often than we'd care to admit, I'm sorry to say.....

Naughty, naughty boy, mike.
Go straight to your kennel. Do not pass the biscuit bowl on your way to the kennel. Do not collect any doggie biscuits!

cobaka

dkc4343

Post by dkc4343 »

mikewalsh wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:01 pm

Apologies for "derailing" your thread with all this CPU research! It happens on the Puppy Forums, more often than we'd care to admit, I'm sorry to say..... :oops:

Mike. ;)

No problem!

dkc4343

Post by dkc4343 »

PipzDex wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:14 pm

879Zf59.jpg

HI Rockedge
This error seems to be from the compilation of the main sfs???? , I already had the honor of suffering it when I try a xenial remaster with newer packages from woof-ce, although it has not happened to me with any puppy that has been released ... Strange

Any solutions?

rockedge
Site Admin

Post by rockedge »

We need to look into the 'plogin' error and I am thinking this is part of the autologin process.

PipzDex

Post by PipzDex »

dkc4343 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:44 pm
PipzDex wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:14 pm

879Zf59.jpg

HI Rockedge

Any solutions?

Hi @dkc4343

Unfortunately there is no way to do it either with some command or trick ...
This error mentions that the main sfs file is missing (I think two more) and that is what makes me very strange, in all the official versions and modifications that are online they do not have this type of problem since that is what it is for its time before being released ...

In my experience, it already happened to me but ... but here is the detail ...
I (tried) modify a version of xenial with newer libraries and programs using woof-ce and when I wanted to do the tests it gave me this error but as I told you it was MY remastering that gave problems

My recommendation at the moment would be to use the Xenialpup-7.5 or Precise-light version, at least you would have a system with which to start operations and test that other versions can work better for you to your liking and / or need ...

@rockedge
They are files related to autologin, you need that file and one or two more, the strange thing for me is that this error has not touched me to experiment with the official versions that have been released, except in the case that I personally wanted to do a remastering from woof-ce and I fail, but only this time ...

Cheers!! :thumbup2:

My Puppy Stuff and more

Return to “Beginners Help”