How to expand personal storage free space?

New to Puppy and have questions? Start here

Moderator: Forum moderators

jarnie

How to expand personal storage free space?

Post by jarnie »

When I first set up using fossapup I expanded my 'personal storage free space' without any probem but now it seems I did not create enough free space.
When I move my mouse over the 'icon' (for personal free space at bottom right on pinboard) it dsplays 'right click for menu'. When I do that I see 'please wait probing drives' and then a 'window' opens displaying all drives with their total size and free space with PARTVIEW at the top of that 'window'. I cannot select any using left or right mouse click and there is displayed at the bottom of that 'window' are two selections 'refresh' and 'ok'. Have I done something wrong or not doing something correctly.
Help please.

Fossapup 9.5 on 8Gb usb memory stick Acer R3-131T laptop 4Gb RAM 32Gb Emmc drive

williams2

Re: How to expand personal storage free space

Post by williams2 »

You can type in a text terminal (console):

Code: Select all

df -h

which should show you the total space and used space in the savefile.

You can type:

Code: Select all

du /initrd/mnt/tmpfs/pup_rw | sort -nk1

to see what directories are using the most space.

jarnie

Re: How to expand personal storage free space?

Post by jarnie »

Thanks for your quick reply however how do I increase the size of the savefile? Whenever I start fossapup that 'icon' always is displaying in red and flashing indicating that I need to do something about it. Although after a short time it disappears. Maybe I just need to clean it up (remove unnecessary files?). When I first started I had to increase it before I could install large apps like Libreoffice.
Also now when I select (click on) the SAVE icon (save ram to pup save) it displays 'unable to save all files - you need to delete some). As I am really new to linux I am completely in the dark about this as I also am about other things like my touch screen works when I touch it but I can't 'swipe' top to bottom of screen with my finger to scroll.
Thanks again.

Fossapup 9.5 on 8Gb usb memory stick Acer R3-131T laptop 4Gb RAM 32Gb Emmc drive

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

jarnie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:11 am

Thanks for your quick reply however how do I increase the size of the savefile? Whenever I start fossapup that 'icon' always is displaying in red and flashing indicating that I need to do something about it. Although after a short time it disappears. Maybe I just need to clean it up (remove unnecessary files?). When I first started I had to increase it before I could install large apps like Libreoffice.
Also now when I select (click on) the SAVE icon (save ram to pup save) it displays 'unable to save all files - you need to delete some). As I am really new to linux I am completely in the dark about this as I also am about other things like my touch screen works when I touch it but I can't 'swipe' top to bottom of screen with my finger to scroll.
Thanks again.

There was always a Resize personal storage tool somewhere in the menu (probably under utilities in the menu). Don't know if it's still there with Fossapup. My guess is that you have completely run out of space during a session and your savefile is now corrupted. So good luck with salvaging anything. Thank gawd I'm not using a savefile anymore.

jarnie

Post by jarnie »

Thanks for the tip. Yes I was able to resize via Utilties 'menu'. Strange that when I positioned the mouse pointer over the flashing red container shaped flashing icon it displayed 'right mouse click to resize' which did not allow e to do this.
Please let me know about not using a savefile? Is this the same as personal storage space? I would not think so but then again I am a Linux newbie. I thought the personal storage space was used when dwnloading/installing apps as I can remember when I first started and attempted to install LIbreoffice and could not until I setup/increased personal storage space.

amethyst

Post by amethyst »

jarnie wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:03 am

Thanks for the tip. Yes I was able to resize via Utilties 'menu'. Strange that when I positioned the mouse pointer over the flashing red container shaped flashing icon it displayed 'right mouse click to resize' which did not allow e to do this.
Please let me know about not using a savefile? Is this the same as personal storage space? I would not think so but then again I am a Linux newbie. I thought the personal storage space was used when dwnloading/installing apps as I can remember when I first started and attempted to install LIbreoffice and could not until I setup/increased personal storage space.

Going without a savefile requires a different way of operating. I don't install applications but use sfs-addons instead. I only save system configurations changes to an adrv. The biggest advantage is that your whole loaded system is read-only so chances of corruption is almost zero. If you still want to use a savefile, it's okay but my suggestion is to keep it extremely small and operate like mentioned above (only save system configurations, don't install applications). A very small savefile is easier to backup and less prone to corruption.

bigpup

Post by bigpup »

savefile? Is this the same as personal storage space?

Yes.
Some programs call it personal storage.

If the partition on the USB flash drive is formatted fat32.
The save file can only be a max size of 4GB.
This is a max file size limit of fat32 format.

You can get some free space in the save by placing stuff outside of the save, but still on the USB drive.
Anything placed in /mnt/home is outside of the save.
Installed programs have to go into the save.
But documents, videos, pictures, downloaded stuff, etc..... really anything not actually installed into Fossapup, can go into /mnt/home.
This is the top layer of the partition Fossapup is installed on. /mnt/home is limited by whatever free space the partition still has.

Web Browsers keep a lot of stuff stored in the save.
History, browser cache, etc.......
Check the browser preferences for settings on how those things are setup.

The things you do not tell us, are usually the clue to fixing the problem.
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older.
This is not what I expected :o

Geek3579

Post by Geek3579 »

As I recall, using a saveFOLDER allows for larger personal storage space . This is in conjunction with a ext2 or ext4 partition on which the Frugal files + savefolder are saved. You still need the fat32 partition for boot files.

Its worth a bit of pre-planning before you set up a frugal install. I now use Stickpup to set up the boot and first frugal install on the USB DRIVE, then shrink the FAT32 partition, add an ext2 or ext4 partition for other frugal puppies, and edit the grub.cfg file to include the extra frugal puppies. It sounds complex, but is not that hard.

The other thing to consider is why one would need 4+GB in a savefolder anyway, which I suspect might add to save times. Maybe better to use a variety of frugal installs on the same HDD/USB for differing purposes, which is a real benefit of puppy linux. If one savefolder is broken, the rest of the operations will be ok.

Return to “Beginners Help”